• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, Turtle said:

Since we talked about seeing Peter Laird recently, I figured I'd share a post about the first time I met him.  It was 2009, back when NYCC took place in February.  I have fond memories of this show as it was my first time at one of the MAJOR shows and I had a great time!  Plus the lineup of Silver Age artists was amazing.  I remember being able to walk right up to both Richard Ayers and Joe Sinnott without having to stand in line, which seems crazy to me.  But I digress...

Mirage Studios had a few tables together in Artist Alley and that's where Peter Laird, Steve Lavigne, Jim Lawson, and Michael Dooney were.  Again, I was able to walk up to them without any line in sight.  They were all signing for free.  Peter was offering to do headsketches for $20 and for an additional $20, Steve Lavigne would color them.  I gave him one of my sketch covers, which were still somewhat new at the time.  Steve was reluctant at first after having a heck of a time on someone else's super glossy Secret Invasion blank (remember those?), but I assured him that this Dark Avengers one is made of much better stock and takes watercolors really well.  This was YEARS before any type of TMNT blank was released. 

They did a GREAT job on it:

100_0507.thumb.JPG.7b3004ad183943b22894655474cfeae0.JPG

I then took the book over to the Heavy Metal booth where Kevin was supposed to be.  I got lucky because he was not there as I approached the booth and when I asked about him, like magic he returned and a line quickly formed behind me.  I asked him if he'd do a quick Casey Jones sketch.  He seemed genuinely excited that someone asked him for a non-turtle character and did an excellent job as well.  This was back in the era where his lines were very long because he'd sketch for everyone and wouldn't charge anything. 

100_0511.thumb.JPG.f5d9e032330d988ab0930e4025352ccb.JPG

Little did I know that this would be the last major show that Mirage Studios would attend as Peter would sell the property to Nickelodeon later that year and mostly retire from the convention scene.  But I still have a wonderful memento and great pictures from that day.  :cloud9:

127620000_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCasey.thumb.jpg.1dd5a57cf2b144e9ba14c81693b94469.jpg849311016_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCaseyBC.thumb.jpg.828688a3bf247884a9f8dfa6bfa653c3.jpg

:whee:

On 10/29/2021 at 10:38 PM, Turtle said:

Since we talked about seeing Peter Laird recently, I figured I'd share a post about the first time I met him.  It was 2009, back when NYCC took place in February.  I have fond memories of this show as it was my first time at one of the MAJOR shows and I had a great time!  Plus the lineup of Silver Age artists was amazing.  I remember being able to walk right up to both Richard Ayers and Joe Sinnott without having to stand in line, which seems crazy to me.  But I digress...

Mirage Studios had a few tables together in Artist Alley and that's where Peter Laird, Steve Lavigne, Jim Lawson, and Michael Dooney were.  Again, I was able to walk up to them without any line in sight.  They were all signing for free.  Peter was offering to do headsketches for $20 and for an additional $20, Steve Lavigne would color them.  I gave him one of my sketch covers, which were still somewhat new at the time.  Steve was reluctant at first after having a heck of a time on someone else's super glossy Secret Invasion blank (remember those?), but I assured him that this Dark Avengers one is made of much better stock and takes watercolors really well.  This was YEARS before any type of TMNT blank was released. 

I then took the book over to the Heavy Metal booth where Kevin was supposed to be.  I got lucky because he was not there as I approached the booth and when I asked about him, like magic he returned and a line quickly formed behind me.  I asked him if he'd do a quick Casey Jones sketch.  He seemed genuinely excited that someone asked him for a non-turtle character and did an excellent job as well.  This was back in the era where his lines were very long because he'd sketch for everyone and wouldn't charge anything. 

Little did I know that this would be the last major show that Mirage Studios would attend as Peter would sell the property to Nickelodeon later that year and mostly retire from the convention scene.  But I still have a wonderful memento and great pictures from that day.  :cloud9:

127620000_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCasey.thumb.jpg.1dd5a57cf2b144e9ba14c81693b94469.jpg849311016_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCaseyBC.thumb.jpg.828688a3bf247884a9f8dfa6bfa653c3.jpg

Great story thanks for sharing!

On 10/29/2021 at 5:38 PM, Turtle said:

I think your smile says it all! I smiled like a kid in a candy shop when I met Kevin! It’s amazing that you pointed out that there was NO line at all of their booths, excluding Kevin. Yes, you did get very lucky, as those lines were brutal. What’s most amazing about Kevin is that he would stay until EVERYONE got a sketch or at least a signature- all for free as you said. Crazy. Good ol’ times. 

On 10/28/2021 at 11:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I recently bought a TMNT arcade.

Now having bought others that I had to build and or put together myself, Id love to have Eastman sketch a piece of the cabinet, if I took a piece apart to make it easy to carry and or sign :takeit:

Great idea! 

A long time ago Peter Laird made available volume 4 #31-32 available as free downloadable high quality pdf files. I can’t find these anywhere. I’d love them on my tablet as I don’t own the issues and would love to read volume 4 as far it ran. I own up to #30 and love the series. Does anyone have the pdf files or know where I may find these please? I’ve looked everywhere I know of online. Thanks for any help 

On 10/30/2021 at 6:32 PM, sorrenmj said:

A long time ago Peter Laird made available volume 4 #31-32 available as free downloadable high quality pdf files. I can’t find these anywhere. I’d love them on my tablet as I don’t own the issues and would love to read volume 4 as far it ran. I own up to #30 and love the series. Does anyone have the pdf files or know where I may find these please? I’ve looked everywhere I know of online. Thanks for any help 

Just checked my files, thought for sure I'd have them, but I only have #29 and #30 as digital files. Good luck! 

On 10/30/2021 at 8:39 PM, sorrenmj said:

Many thanks a lot for looking in the first place (: Hopefully I will be able to track these down!

All I could find online is that Laird posted the issues in their entirety (I think) on his blog in 2010 and 2014:

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/tmnt-volume-4-31.html

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/tmnt-volume-4-32-digital-edition.html

On 10/31/2021 at 2:32 AM, spracknetch23 said:

All I could find online is that Laird posted the issues in their entirety (I think) on his blog in 2010 and 2014:

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/tmnt-volume-4-32-digital-edition.html

Thanks a lot for these

On 10/31/2021 at 2:32 AM, spracknetch23 said:

I finally read all of volume 4. All 32 issues. Reading #32 was both very exciting but also bittersweet, as it felt like a goodbye from Peter and Mirage, mostly reading the letters from fans at the end. While volume 4 most likely won't be continued (very sad here) I am glad all over that it exists in the first place. I really like the inks by Steve Lavigne with Jim Lawson's pencils. It seems like the artwork was going in a new direction at this point. Issue #32 ends on a real cliff hanger (frustrating!)! I wish there was more to come. I need to find a printed version of #32 now! I love volume 4! 

On 11/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, Turtle said:

My letter is in issue #32! :whee:

Actually, I just re-read Peter’s response and it seems like he was alluding to Last Ronin. Pretty cool! 😎 

Very cool. Lucky you for being a part of the volume 4 community. I posted a letter for volume 4 around the time issue 28 came out in 2006. It never made print. Either it was a very bad letter or it got lost between printing issue 28 and 29! Peter did sign my #29 though, so that is something!

On 11/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, followtheleader said:

I think the TMNT 4 1st is like $50.

My Paypal is ready.

Nice book BTW.

Patrick

I wish, as all the number 1's are out of reach for me, I need only a #4 for my TMNT set. I'm not certain what I'll end up with, but the way it's going, assuredly a regular cover I can afford. :wishluck:

Here's another TMNT #1 homage recently released.  They're on a hot streak right now.  I think there are 3 more of them releasing this month.  Vampirella and NYX...I think.  I'll need to look it up.

Red Room: The Antisocial Network #3:

835827137_RedRoomTheAntisocialNetwork03.thumb.jpg.443cb4e399ffa20c9268c612b334748b.jpg