• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,271 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 8:17 PM, Turtle said:

I sent this and one other book back to be reslabbed due to case damage.  Unfortunately, CGC sent me back the wrong books and so far has been unable to locate my books.  :frown:

Are you serious?  They sent you back the wrong books?  Just hard to believe how bad CGC has gotten. I had to send back all of my books from the Last Ronin signing due to case issues but at least I got the same ones back.  LOL 

But, can you imagine if you sent in a TMNT #1 and you got back a different book?  :ohnoez:

On 12/1/2022 at 11:03 AM, rich_TMNT said:

Are you serious?  They sent you back the wrong books?  Just hard to believe how bad CGC has gotten. I had to send back all of my books from the Last Ronin signing due to case issues but at least I got the same ones back.  LOL 

But, can you imagine if you sent in a TMNT #1 and you got back a different book?  :ohnoez:

Like the time I sent in a dual signed ASM 50 (Sr and Lee) and got back ASM 278 blue label?

On 12/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, Gazoony said:

Hi guys. A little over 2 years ago, I decided to try and collect the TMNT Vol. 1 run in CGC 9.8, excluding #1 of course. All first print.

#1 - 7.0

#2 - #62 - 9.8

I just received the last book I needed to finish the run, the ever elusive #13. After several years of looking all over the place to piece my collection together, it feels weird to be "done".

I just wanted to thank the board members here that helped me here on these boards with advice, some books and just generally have a good time in my hunt. 

Now to figure out what's next to collect. 😀

Screenshot_20221203-131346_Gallery.jpg

Quite the accomplishment!  Great job.  #13 is my all-time favorite cover.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:27 PM, Gazoony said:

Hi guys. A little over 2 years ago, I decided to try and collect the TMNT Vol. 1 run in CGC 9.8, excluding #1 of course. All first print.

#1 - 7.0

#2 - #62 - 9.8

I just received the last book I needed to finish the run, the ever elusive #13. After several years of looking all over the place to piece my collection together, it feels weird to be "done".

congrats!! :applause:

ComicConnect is auctioning off the collection of Kevin Eastman's uncle Quentin, ending tonight, December 13th starting at 7:00 PM Eastern. The collection includes comics (many singed by Kevin Eastman), original 1980s toys, rare memorabilia, and more. The auction includes many very rare items from the early days of the turtles, including proof copies of the 2 issues of Eastman and Laird's Gobbledygook that featured the 1st appearance of the Turtles in print, 2 copies of 1st prints of #1, many other early issues of the comic books,  the original press release from issue #1, poster proofs (likely 1 of a kind), tickets to the Northampton, MA premiere of the movie, and much more. 

You can read about the collection here.

All of the items up for bidding can be found here.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, Micah S. said:

ComicConnect is auctioning off the collection of Kevin Eastman's uncle Quentin, ending tonight, December 13th starting at 7:00 PM Eastern. The collection includes comics (many singed by Kevin Eastman), original 1980s toys, rare memorabilia, and more. The auction includes many very rare items from the early days of the turtles, including proof copies of the 2 issues of Eastman and Laird's Gobbledygook that featured the 1st appearance of the Turtles in print, 2 copies of 1st prints of #1, many other early issues of the comic books,  the original press release from issue #1, poster proofs (likely 1 of a kind), tickets to the Northampton, MA premiere of the movie, and much more. 

You can read about the collection here.

All of the items up for bidding can be found here.

Really cool to see all of these super rare items offered for sale. I'm really blown away by the selling price of the two Mirage News issues ($1,335!). Kinda sad that most of these rare items were signed. I'm one of those weirdos who likes their ultra rare items unsigned. I wish there were some original iron-ons offered as I still need a couple. Oh well, the search continues... 

On 12/14/2022 at 11:26 PM, spracknetch23 said:

Really cool to see all of these super rare items offered for sale. I'm really blown away by the selling price of the two Mirage News issues ($1,335!). Kinda sad that most of these rare items were signed. I'm one of those weirdos who likes their ultra rare items unsigned. I wish there were some original iron-ons offered as I still need a couple. Oh well, the search continues... 

Which Iron ons are you looking for Steve Lavigne has some for sale.

Picked this up here on the boards - Pieces of Turtles 8.2. Dave Sim is apparently doing a remastered version of TMNT 8 (the issue featuring Cerebus) this coming year, and he did a lead-up two issues on Kickstarter and his website - Pieces of Turtles 8 and 8.2. I totally missed these, but was able to pick this up here, and it's really cool. It's basically a fanzine of behind-the-scenes stuff on TMNT 8. I'll have to bite the bullet and pick up Pieces of Turtles 8 now at a premium. 8.2 was a limited signed and numbered run of 192 without a COA, and kind of oddly, an even more limited unsigned/"unnumbered" run of 35, each with a COA and a copy number X of 35 (which means it actually is numbered - it's a weird setup) - this is one of the unsigned/"unnumbered," but it is numbered 27 of 35... And the COA is actually signed by Sim...

I like that it's #27, since my birthday is the 27th, that was just some cool happenstance.

1122820644_PiecesofTurtles8-2.thumb.jpeg.4fac38d5e8fbd61a93f398846ed6d242.jpeg

Here's the COA (I blacked it out since it had the original buyer's name and info):

IMG_6431.thumb.jpg.6c2fd794a279d00329b6bec65421b37a.jpg

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 12/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Picked this up here on the boards - Pieces of Turtles 8.2. Dave Sim is apparently doing a remastered version of TMNT 8 (the issue featuring Cerebus) this coming year, and he did a lead-up two issues on Kickstarter and his website - Pieces of Turtles 8 and 8.2. I totally missed these, but was able to pick this up here, and it's really cool. It's basically a fanzine of behind-the-scenes stuff on TMNT 8. I'll have to bite the bullet and pick up Pieces of Turtles 8 now at a premium. 8.2 was a limited signed and numbered run of 192 without a COA, and kind of oddly, an even more limited unsigned/"unnumbered" run of 35, each with a COA and a copy number X of 35 (which means it actually is numbered - it's a weird setup) - this is one of the unsigned/"unnumbered," but it is numbered 27 of 35... And the COA is actually signed by Sim...

I like that it's #27, since my birthday is the 27th, that was just some cool happenstance.

1122820644_PiecesofTurtles8-2.thumb.jpeg.4fac38d5e8fbd61a93f398846ed6d242.jpeg

Here's the COA (I blacked it out since it had the original buyer's name and info):

IMG_6431.thumb.jpg.6c2fd794a279d00329b6bec65421b37a.jpg

Sweet! I'm glad that the genre is still seeing some action!

donatello-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles.gif

On 12/20/2022 at 7:33 PM, spracknetch23 said:

It is very cool.  I always wondered what happened to this cover.  The #5 color cover that sold on Hake's a year or two ago was colored on top of a photocopy of the original B&W art (therefore there were two "originals," but this one seems to be 100% original.  The only thing is that the colors looks somewhat faded vs. the published cover.  It could be because it was hanging for years at Corben's house and was exposed to light.  But, it still looks great.  Best of luck to whoever decides to go for this one.  Unlikely to see another original cover from the early part of the run come up for sale again anytime soon.  

On 12/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, comiconxion said:

It is very cool.  I always wondered what happened to this cover.  The #5 color cover that sold on Hake's a year or two ago was colored on top of a photocopy of the original B&W art (therefore there were two "originals," but this one seems to be 100% original.  The only thing is that the colors looks somewhat faded vs. the published cover.  It could be because it was hanging for years at Corben's house and was exposed to light.  But, it still looks great.  Best of luck to whoever decides to go for this one.  Unlikely to see another original cover from the early part of the run come up for sale again anytime soon.  

I've seen a few early covers out there, but not many. #1 (1st printing) and (4th printing), #5's painted cover, and #11. #4 (2nd printing) is said to be owned by Laird. And now #8 is here. I'm guessing Eastman and Laird still own some of the other early covers. This one's already out of my price range (as expected).Good luck to everyone.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:29 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I've seen a few early covers out there, but not many. #1 (1st printing) and (4th printing), #5's painted cover, and #11. #4 (2nd printing) is said to be owned by Laird. And now #8 is here. I'm guessing Eastman and Laird still own some of the other early covers. This one's already out of my price range (as expected).Good luck to everyone.

Laird had (and I believe still does) #4 second printing and I know Eastman has Raph #1 (I was only able to get the cover rough of the second print out of his hands)

image.png.f613eb140e756fd85182e4a0ccdc585f.png

On 12/1/2022 at 3:17 AM, Turtle said:

I sent this and one other book back to be reslabbed due to case damage.  Unfortunately, CGC sent me back the wrong books and so far has been unable to locate my books.  :frown:

I hope they manage to locate them. I have just sent my #2 (1984) back for photographing

On 12/3/2022 at 6:27 PM, Gazoony said:

#1 - 7.0

#2 - #62 - 9.8

I just wanted to thank the board members here that helped me here on these boards with advice, some books and just generally have a good time in my hunt. 

Now to figure out what's next to collect. 😀

Screenshot_20221203-131346_Gallery.jpg

Awesome way to finish 2022! Congrats :)

On 12/28/2022 at 7:53 PM, Ryan. said:

I was flipping through a December 1996 issue of Combo Magazine, which was a Wizard competitor at the time, and found this in their price guide for that month.

20221228_195205.jpg

:cry:  I remember passing up a first printing for $200 at a con in '93. But I was a teenager and that was a lot of money.