• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,286 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2023 at 7:15 PM, sorrenmj said:

Thanks @eastbayrudy I think it looks good too. The photo is professionally taken by CGC, which might help to make it look better! Feel free to share yours for comparison 

I was going to say it was a good scan and figured cgc was responsible! Awesome awesome awesome, really tempting or looks worth the extra funds to have done, that's for sure. :)

Impressive 

On 1/8/2023 at 11:11 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Here is mine. I was expecting around a 4.0-4.5. I’m not complaining though the 6 was a good surprise and :takeit:
2BCB8141-8796-4955-9062-D5D995487B37.thumb.jpeg.106eceb118528dd3924a6b3fe3c49f2a.jpeg553FD9F7-2B15-4E95-BA30-16AD7AF2BA83.thumb.jpeg.69ecf91c908b48e9d779890c2de1ec77.jpeg

Awesome thanks for sharing. Ours do look similar with the staining on the covers. I'm wondering if the CGC taken picture of my 4.0 is such good quality/high res taken in great lighting conditions that it makes a better impression than it is?

On 1/9/2023 at 2:41 PM, jaybuck43 said:

We doing #2? K

image.jpeg.e539d23666e1afe4a0c4b3448a82bdcb.jpegIMG_5765.thumb.jpg.f79c01134571ed7feba66e187c7499f3.jpgIMG_5766.thumb.jpg.5e0f6e9a8ec7a0b8e3255872ec407d5b.jpgIMG_7459.thumb.jpg.6564c844c6a2de7ef5a33abca0cb6793.jpg

Awesome high grades @jaybuck43 ! Thanks for sharing it is good to see the graded copies. I'm learning about the grades. I can see a slip of paper on the first print. I've read this is to preserve the comic inside, is that correct? I am assuming mine will have that piece of paper also?

On 1/9/2023 at 4:49 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Very nice! Love the cover on the 3rd print! 

Me too @eastbayrudy The Richard Corben cover was the first cover that got me into collecting all the covers, all the variants and all the reprints etc. Thank goodness for my OCD because it meant I had to collect all issues across the four volumes, bar the first print of #1 (I had the chance to buy a first print for $800 from a family member of one of the guys at Mirage. I turned it down because I was collecting the four cold cast statues at the time - though I do not regret collecting the statues I try not to remember, sigh sigh sigh - yep I paused for a minute!). Collecting the TMNT comics was an epic adventure in collecting that I will never forget and one I really couldn't afford to do now

On 1/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, sorrenmj said:

Awesome high grades @jaybuck43 ! Thanks for sharing it is good to see the graded copies. I'm learning about the grades. I can see a slip of paper on the first print. I've read this is to preserve the comic inside, is that correct? I am assuming mine will have that piece of paper also?

You’re describing “micro chamber paper” which works to absorb the natural acid in the pages of the comic. “Problem” is that over time it stops absorbing so you need to have Cgc regrade (or just not care)

On 1/9/2023 at 10:31 AM, sorrenmj said:

Me too @eastbayrudy The Richard Corben cover was the first cover that got me into collecting all the covers, all the variants and all the reprints etc. Thank goodness for my OCD because it meant I had to collect all issues across the four volumes, bar the first print of #1 (I had the chance to buy a first print for $800 from a family member of one of the guys at Mirage. I turned it down because I was collecting the four cold cast statues at the time - though I do not regret collecting the statues I try not to remember, sigh sigh sigh - yep I paused for a minute!). Collecting the TMNT comics was an epic adventure in collecting that I will never forget and one I really couldn't afford to do now

Oh man passing on a first print for $800 would forever haunt me lol

On 12/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, comiconxion said:

It is very cool.  I always wondered what happened to this cover.  The #5 color cover that sold on Hake's a year or two ago was colored on top of a photocopy of the original B&W art (therefore there were two "originals," but this one seems to be 100% original.  The only thing is that the colors looks somewhat faded vs. the published cover.  It could be because it was hanging for years at Corben's house and was exposed to light.  But, it still looks great.  Best of luck to whoever decides to go for this one.  Unlikely to see another original cover from the early part of the run come up for sale again anytime soon.  

Yes it seems like the "two originals" one pencil/inks the other paints phase stopped around 1985 as there a couple of covers out there like that. However, seeing this one from 1986 all on one board, and knowing mines from 1986 - 1988 are all on one board, and knowing of another 1986 all on one board, makes me think they made the switch around that time.