• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, sorrenmj said:

Nice. Is that the original backdrop? I am used to this image with plain black backdrop 

not sure really, just TMNT stuff that comes up on my feed sometimes. lol best I can say is it DID look different to me, so I think I understand it may not be "original"

On 1/30/2023 at 7:20 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Very cool.  This is quite an accomplishment - the four Turtles and Fugitoid are very tough to find, especially in great shape like the ones you found.  

Not everyone realizes there are two different sets of these (1984 & 1986) so that makes this all the more special.  Congrats!

Did the 1986 ones look the same and just dated 1986?

So I finally got my first CGC graded slab back, it looks fab! I've not removed it from the plastic bag yet. I'm just curious though, what do people do with theirs? Do they hang them on the wall somehow? Present them in some way? The slab looks awesomely presentable it would seem a shame to put it away in a box now that I have it back. Just curious with what those with experience do

On 1/30/2023 at 12:45 PM, sorrenmj said:

Did the 1986 ones look the same and just dated 1986?

Yes, the 1986 ones (especially the Turtles) look a bit different (and Fugitoid was added for 1986). The Turtles have the same poses but the 1984 are darker and are more "bubble-like" in appearance.  Also the TMNT logo is vastly different between 1984 & 1986.  You can see the differences in the pics that @spracknetch23posted.  They can be hard to identify in the wild if you don't know what to look for. I don't recall that there are any dates on the iron-ons themselves so that makes it even more difficult.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, sorrenmj said:

So I finally got my first CGC graded slab back, it looks fab! I've not removed it from the plastic bag yet. I'm just curious though, what do people do with theirs? Do they hang them on the wall somehow? Present them in some way? The slab looks awesomely presentable it would seem a shame to put it away in a box now that I have it back. Just curious with what those with experience do

I store mine in Pelican 1650 cases with custom foam - one fits modern size slabs and the other fits magazine slabs.  But I do take pics of them first and then post them on my website.  I have way too many books to have them all out and displayed.

Box 00-Pelican 1650.jpg

Edited by rich_TMNT

On 1/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, rich_TMNT said:

I store mine in Pelican 1650 cases with custom foam - one fits modern size slabs and the other fits magazine slabs.  But I do take pics of them first and then post them on my website.  I have way too many books to have them all out and displayed.

Box 00-Pelican 1650.jpg

A running joke in my family is “what should we get him for a gift? More wall space!”. An entire floor of my house is covered in just mirage turtle art lol the later stuff is in binders still. Did you test the off gassing on the pelicans? Is the 1650 waterproof? I’m always concerned about using anything like fireproof and waterproof safes because of the damage it causes staples etc. I use BCW’s graded comic bins. Modified slightly with foam on the sides and bottom for protection. Has the added bonus of being stackable (I don’t travel with my books so no need)

On 1/30/2023 at 4:12 PM, jaybuck43 said:

A running joke in my family is “what should we get him for a gift? More wall space!”. An entire floor of my house is covered in just mirage turtle art lol the later stuff is in binders still. Did you test the off gassing on the pelicans? Is the 1650 waterproof? I’m always concerned about using anything like fireproof and waterproof safes because of the damage it causes staples etc. I use BCW’s graded comic bins. Modified slightly with foam on the sides and bottom for protection. Has the added bonus of being stackable (I don’t travel with my books so no need)

I really only have a select few OA pieces on my wall but I can imagine the difficulty of fitting everything (or trying to).  The Pelican 1650 is water and air tight but that's due to the rubber seal around the lid and not any kind of lining or filling in the walls.  I can't imagine that the Pelican would affect comics adversely since it's essentially just a more rugged version of a storage container (and much more secure since it's can be padlocked).  It's not fireproof though, but (as you said) those aren't good for comics.  Any type of fireproof container (like fire safes) gets its fire protection from special linings which have very high moisture content - thus, the staple rust damage that can occur when stored in those.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:20 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Very cool.  This is quite an accomplishment - the four Turtles and Fugitoid are very tough to find, especially in great shape like the ones you found.  

Not everyone realizes there are two different sets of these (1984 & 1986) so that makes this all the more special.  Congrats!

Thanks! I acquired my first one in 1998, so completing it was a looong journey. I wasn't too picky about condition, but lucked out on many of them in that respect. The '86 Mike was framed on someone's wall for decades, so it's a bit faded, and the Fugitoid has some foxing or something near the bottom. Otherwise all are in pretty nice shape considering they're pushing 40. 

On 1/30/2023 at 10:25 PM, spracknetch23 said:

Thanks! I acquired my first one in 1998, so completing it was a looong journey. I wasn't too picky about condition, but lucked out on many of them in that respect. The '86 Mike was framed on someone's wall for decades, so it's a bit faded, and the Fugitoid has some foxing or something near the bottom. Otherwise all are in pretty nice shape considering they're pushing 40. 

I can totally relate to the long journey to get all these. I've collected TMNT for almost 40 years and am still missing a few of these. 

On 1/30/2023 at 6:12 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Pictures! :wishluck:

On 3/1/2023 at 11:39 PM, Turtle said:

Here's a straight-up copy/paste from the Comic Room Showcase thread, but as the room is exclusively TMNT, I figured I'd share it here:

Hello All!

FINALLY got around to doing something I've been talking about for literally years now.  We've been in our house for a while and I've always had this space carved out for my collection, but it's always been an unfinished room with exposed lumber, beams, and ducts along with a concrete floor with a (non-rectangular) carpet remnant on it.  Now we've added another outlet, finished the walls and ceiling, painted, and put down some carpet with a proper pad underneath.  The difference is night and day.  Take a look:

Before:

IMG_1943.thumb.jpg.8a01a466cf9c5e5360f04b09d9d2d3c7.jpgIMG_1945.thumb.jpg.490ef267bd92997e3d6074e300597cb0.jpgIMG_1946.thumb.jpg.e440b7baf4dace082198b7dbbc9fa443.jpgIMG_1949.thumb.jpg.6d82382e983ec286bee063acfd51967a.jpg

After:

IMG_1994.thumb.jpg.38c18b173e046af688f1141353f59765.jpgIMG_1995.thumb.jpg.0ce8f5202357bd65bcce8fc2c0bc171f.jpgIMG_1996.thumb.jpg.eba7d98587654a86144696395618546b.jpg

I made the choice to go with a green carpet with a pale green carpet so the room would feel even more unique in our house.  Additionally, I think it goes well with my collecting focus, which as anyone who knows me would tell you is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

Current:

IMG_2190.thumb.jpg.62e03ff3137d2cc39e2357dd02cc631e.jpgIMG_2192.thumb.jpg.a4baceec34f19611bc30944f417aef46.jpgIMG_2193.thumb.jpg.a3c4407dc36a55ef8f83dc9544674d75.jpgIMG_2194.thumb.jpg.173b2a61ba8035bca20dbf1ad7652ef3.jpgIMG_2075.thumb.jpg.8e01b2ac8412c783858197babc599e10.jpg

There are a number of things I would still like to do:

• My main method of comic storage is the modular Comic Cube setup.  I got these in 2020 and I absolutely LOVE them.  The drawers are very sturdy and the fact that they're modular make them reasonable to move myself if necessary.  I like them so much that I already put in another order for a smaller 2x3 setup for magazine-sized books to hold my magazine slabs and some overflow raws and hardcovers.  Currently they're still in standard comic boxes in the corner that isn't showcased.  I hope to provide an update later this year once the Comic Cube is done and in-place.
  • I've got a few art pieces that are already earmarked for professional framing and now I've got the space on the wall for them.  Again, I'll update once I get them. 
  • I'd like to 3D print and paint a 1/4 scale Mouser or two to display with my 1990 Turtles in the display case.  Just a fun side project to work on.
  • Now that I know the space I'm working with, I'll probably let go of a few pieces that I don't think I'd plan on displaying so I can fund these other plans.  It's a vicious cycle.  lol

Anyway, I'm very excited and just wanted to share.  Thanks for looking!

:ohnoez:(worship) Wowza!!!! The room is gearing up to be legendary! Actually, it already is. Congrats. To display the Turtle Greatness is a beautiful thing. I forgot you had so many killer pieces. That’s a lot of beautiful covers- Oh my!!! Kirby too :x