• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2023 at 4:25 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

51, 52, 53, 55 and 58. Some of the tougher ones to find in decent grades with those black covers. They're out there, especially on eBay, but I like to run across them in the wild or on sales threads, or find deals where possible - that's been part of the most fun in finding the run! I completed the Tales 1-7 run that way too for the most part (for example, I got Tales #4 in a lot buy on eBay that was a mixed TMNT lot, and I found 2 copies of Tales #6 in a random box at an LCS for $10 each).

Impressive you found most them in the wild! Good luck with the search, you're so close now!

On 3/11/2023 at 4:54 AM, sorrenmj said:

Now you have the rare opportunity to display them all together somehow! Or print them onto tees ;) (I'm kidding really don't print them on to tees!)

:bigsmile: I plan to keep them all intact. If I were to display them, it would have to be in a way to prevent sun / light damage. It sure would be a cool display. Maybe down the road. 

TMNT Indiegogo Campaign

Here's an Indiegogo Campaign that is raising funds for a custom manhole cover in Dover, NH to mark the birthplace of the TMNT.  There are some perks supplied by Jetpack Comics and the goal seems very reasonable.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:41 AM, R Colvin said:

It's an ashcan sized reprint of TMNT 1 second print that was included with the hardcover book The Ultimate Visual History of the TMNT.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:36 PM, Ryan. said:

It's an ashcan sized reprint of TMNT 1 second print that was included with the hardcover book The Ultimate Visual History of the TMNT.

I presume its worth nowhere near the current bid?

On 3/17/2023 at 9:38 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I love that book, but I hate how misleading it is. I wish there was a disclaimer somewhere in the book stating it's not really a second printing. 

Both this printing and the fan reprint of vol 4 issue 29 have innocently gotten caught up in the after sales market and now years winds up being more confusing than ever intended. 

On 3/17/2023 at 12:15 AM, Mewie said:

Excited to join the family here. The most expensive book I've purchased yet. I feel very fortunate to be able to afford this personal holy grail. I won't let it go in my lifetime... (unless I dare to trade and upgrade lol)

image.thumb.png.e1f848f689ee6c48c1cdcea68b17142b.png

Awesome welcome tonight to the club. The turtles aren’t going away don’t let your holy grail go anywhere!

On 3/17/2023 at 5:38 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I love that book, but I hate how misleading it is. I wish there was a disclaimer somewhere in the book stating it's not really a second printing. 

I like it a lot too and do have a copy. It's surprisingly high quality for a book insert.

Yikes! So someone is going to be very disappointed when they shell out $2,000 for this comic from 2018.  So the Insight 2018 says "second printing" on the inside cover, I gather.  I knew you all would know the answer to my question.  Thank you!

On 3/18/2023 at 2:20 AM, Turtle said:

Here are graded versions of the book you're talking about.  the Ultimate Visual History had 2 printings, 1 in 2014 and another in 2018.  This yielded 2 different versions of the mini 2nd print reprint that was included.  One had a glossy cover while the other had a matte finish.

1989688990_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles1-InsightEdition2014SS.thumb.jpg.d864716ff2197e22a5628a59453cc801.jpg2085531206_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles1InsightEdition2018.thumb.jpg.2ba859c794473cf04ce8eea194b6dd50.jpg

Hi @Turtle I didn't know there were two versions of the insight edition. I apologise if this has been asked before but what are the differences between the 2014 and 2018 printings? Is there a date inside them or is it simply that one has a matt finish and the has a glossy finish?

On 3/20/2023 at 8:11 PM, sorrenmj said:

Hi @Turtle I didn't know there were two versions of the insight edition. I apologise if this has been asked before but what are the differences between the 2014 and 2018 printings? Is there a date inside them or is it simply that one has a matt finish and the has a glossy finish?

Rich's website

It's awesome!

Here are the links to @rich_TMNT's website entries for the 2 Insight edition reprints.  As for the questions, I don't notice any date inside that indicates either 2014 or 2018 on my loose copy.  It mostly looks like a shrunk down version of a normal 2nd print. One major difference is the Insight reprint has a layout version of the inside cover, making it look like there are creases, paste-ups, and writing when all those things are actually printed on:

Insight.thumb.jpg.d5b8cefcc37c6d23eaf4a0a65a958397.jpg

This picture shows the inside cover of the Insight edition.  The real 2nd print doesn't have those things.  Here's an example of the inside cover of a normal 2nd print:

2nd.thumb.jpg.27b81a2d95a154a6eeb320afc8fef46a.jpg

On 3/21/2023 at 12:40 AM, Turtle said:

Rich's website

It's awesome!

Here are the links to @rich_TMNT's website entries for the 2 Insight edition reprints.  As for the questions, I don't notice any date inside that indicates either 2014 or 2018 on my loose copy.  It mostly looks like a shrunk down version of a normal 2nd print. One major difference is the Insight reprint has a layout version of the inside cover, making it look like there are creases, paste-ups, and writing when all those things are actually printed on:

Insight.thumb.jpg.d5b8cefcc37c6d23eaf4a0a65a958397.jpg

This picture shows the inside cover of the Insight edition.  The real 2nd print doesn't have those things.  Here's an example of the inside cover of a normal 2nd print:

2nd.thumb.jpg.27b81a2d95a154a6eeb320afc8fef46a.jpg

Thanks, that's a really nice looking genuine 2nd print you got there!