• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where have you bought/where do you buy your comics?

Where did you/do you buy your comics?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you/do you buy your comics?

33 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has probably been asked before in another thread but let's get a fresh perspective on where everybody has bought or currently buys their comics. This question applies to both back issue and current comics. There are probably others that I haven't thought of but please stick to the ones listed in the poll.

So where have you purchased or currently purchase your comics? I've accumulated my collection from pretty much all of the placed listed. You can choose as many as you like and please add comments to the thread.

This poll will be up for 1 month (ends Feb. 28th).

Shark

I no longer really have a LCS so 99% of my comics are purchased on-line. In the past 4 months, I only used eBay twice for comic book purchases as I am tired of getting comics with undisclosed problems. I still use it for trades and hardcovers. Of course, I have purchased from this site.

Here's some other sites I use:

Atomic Avenue - Really has been my eBay replacement. I have ordered from a handful of sellers and they seem to grade well. Any problems that arose, the sellers were always willing to make amends.

Top Shelf Comics - Has alot in stock. Is pleasant on phone and packs well and ships quickly.

I no longer really have a LCS so 99% of my comics are purchased on-line. In the past 4 months, I only used eBay twice for comic book purchases as I am tired of getting comics with undisclosed problems. I still use it for trades and hardcovers. Of course, I have purchased from this site.

Atomic Avenue - Really has been my eBay replacement. I have ordered from a handful of sellers and they seem to grade well. Any problems that arose, the sellers were always willing to make amends.

Top Shelf Comics - Has alot in stock. Is pleasant on phone and packs well and ships quickly.

Thanks for the links. I'll check out both of them! (thumbs u

I'm surprised that LCS is not an option. I buy OA from Ebay. Newer comics from my LCS and most of my GA and SA from here and occasionally from Clink. Never been to a real comic con but would love to walk into a huge room of big time dealers and sell my sole.

That's because when I revised the list (to add in more choices) I forgot to put it back in! doh!

There use to be a lot of small local shows back in the 70's an early 80's. Like Secret Son said, you could get a pile of books for a few bucks, an I mean good stuff. I grew up about forty miles south of Chicago. There was a comic shop in Richton Park Illinois on Sauk Trail. The owner of the shop was named Ken PIerce. What a nice guy. You would go in and he had tables set up everywhere, with pile after pile of books. The place was a mess. He would always be behing the counter watching a small black an white t.v. and never saying very much. Behind the counter was a wall with about forty books on it .....yes the good stuff. He always gave you a deal, every time. You buy twelve fantasic fours, he threw a couple in for free. The more you bought, the more he threw in the stack. I remember I would always check out the wall first, this is where the expesive stuff was, ya right. I kept focusing on this one particular book. It was a Fantastic Fours #12. Thirty-bucks, too rich for my blood. How dare he ask that much. Every week on my run to his shop that book was still there, and I needed it. After enough lost sleep, and aggravation, I popped for the thirty, and yes I do still have it. Just passing along some history.

DRX

Thanks for the links. I'll check out both of them! (thumbs u

No problem. If I remember correctly, you were thinking about selling full time. I believe one of the other members here also uses Atomic Avenue - House of Cards or something like that. Perhaps, you should talk to him about that site from a seller's POV.

Most of my stuff is online now, probably 95% of it. My STO is from a web based dealer, I buy a lot from the boards (not as much as some but it's a big percentage of my purchases) and pick up some eBay bargains now and again.

My local LCS is total bollocks so it's very rare I go in there.

Well, I've just bought 1,000 recent Marvel & DC comics from my dealer, on top of 2 months standing order (200 comics) so most of my money is going to him!

No wonder I haven't heard from Scadge for a while... hm

Well, I've just bought 1,000 recent Marvel & DC comics from my dealer, on top of 2 months standing order (200 comics) so most of my money is going to him!

No wonder I haven't heard from Scadge for a while... hm

Well, he did try and sell me a Batman Cacophony for some reason!

Got a full RIP run dirt cheap!!

5 years ago if you had asked this same question, I would have given one answer: LCS. But now, with my LCS's all but gone, I rely on the net for most of my purchases and these boards.

I go probably 50/50 LCS and online. I save online buying for stuff runs that are tougher to find. With the comic book economy being so much different nowadays I love to support LCS's. Lets face it, moderns are not selling near as much as the older stuff did, you gotta help out the guys that are running stores based upon comic book sales.

I only buy CGC silver age/bronze age books so I don't have to deal with arguing over the condition of a book. I find that I get the best deals on ebay while comiclink has practically every comic I want if I am willing to pay for it. Just bought my first book from this board and hope to buy more from here in the future.