• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where have you bought/where do you buy your comics?

Where did you/do you buy your comics?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you/do you buy your comics?

33 posts in this topic

these days, almost 100% online. either ebay, the publishers website, or through an online comics retailer. i do plan on making a few purchases here though, i was lurking during your online comicon and decided to register.

i don't have a comic shop anywhere near my home. i wish i did, i love browsing the bargain bins

CGC and older books

70% eBay

20% Heritage

10% CGC boards (just started buying on the boards in the past 3-4 weeks)

New Books/Subscriptions

70% Midtown Comics

30% Other online stores (Fantastic Realm, JayCompany...)

You, sir, are in for a world of trouble then. It took me about half a year to start buying on the boards, and even then I did very little... and then I started realizing some of the great deals that were to be had here and some of the quality people to work with and buy from on the boards...

...needless to say, there are a handfull of sellers that I pretty much have just given open access to my bank account to...

John Verzyl/Comic Heaven

Harley Yee

HCA

Mark Wilson/PGC Mint

seattle - Comics' Dungeon ocassionally has tasties at nice prices, I always 2-3x my money on turning books I get there

tacoma Comic Book Ink, I go once in awhile to give money to the people on the front lines of the comic book business.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL COMIC STORE!

even though I might spend .85 cents or $1,000 I try to go to alla comic stores around and pop in and buy something, ask what's happening. This type of deal.

I like to shop on eBay just to see what state the market is in. And to see what people are calling their grades lately. and their shipping practices. there are many awesome board members on the 'bay that treat you right

I also have great success on craigslist, making at least 10x on collections I have picked up there, including that 12,225 book deal for $700

Most of my purchases come from the boards and the big auctions we all frequent. I wish I could say that I buy at conventions or a cool local shop, but here in KY this is just not possible.

I'm surprised that LCS is not an option. I buy OA from Ebay. Newer comics from my LCS and most of my GA and SA from here and occasionally from Clink. Never been to a real comic con but would love to walk into a huge room of big time dealers and sell my sole.

That's because when I revised the list (to add in more choices) I forgot to put it back in! doh!

You also forgot conventions. :baiting:

If the old (pre-internet) days, most of my stuff was bought at cons and a couple local shops.

Full runs and key issues: eBay

Cheap reads for the heck of it: Local comic shop

Once in a while I'll stop by the local thrift store and get a TPB that someone got rid of for like $2 or $3. Got four Essential X-Men volumes for like $8 total.

I'm slowly rebuilding my comic collection, but focusing in key issues which I get in Fine/VG grades on eBay.

Since my main thing is reading comics and not really trying to get high grades or building a stockpile, I stop by the local comic shop and buy a grip of interesting reads from the 25 or 50 cent bin. The only thing that sucks is that there's rarely a time I can get a whole series from the bins, so I spend a buck or so to pick up the missing issues if the series is interesting. Spent like $70 last week in quarter and fifty cent bins at the Anaheim Comic-Con and LCBS.

I buy most my comics from either Harley Yee (local) or another local dealer down the street who specializies in Silver Age. If I want Golden Age I only trust one seller - Metropolis Collectibles.

Ebay mostly, but I live near 5 or 6 shops, so I get around.

Lately I've been trolling Craigslist looking to buy cheap longboxes and drawer stashes. Every so often I get some nice finds. (ASM #300 9.2, ASM #311 & #312 9.8 (doubles too), Tracy Monthly #74, Worlds Finest Comics #158, Conan the Barbarian #3 & #5, Hulk #103, etc...) All for 50-cents each.