• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Spidey 1 restored? (Now with high res photos!!)

41 posts in this topic

First of all, I know the pictures are pretty awful. I didn't take them. A local guy on craigslist is selling this book for $4000. Says its in NM- condition. Sounds too good to be true right? Probably is, but I figured I'd ask here first. :makepoint:

First thing that I notice is the cover looks smaller than the interior pages, especially on the back cover. Looks blatently trimmed to me. (shrug) What are your thoughts?

The 2nd thing I notice is the pages look C/OW but the cover looks bone white. Is this pretty normal? Not sure if another cover was married or what.

Still worth $4000? Probably going to pass, but I wanted members opinions. TIA!

spidey1a.jpg

spidey1b.jpg

spidey1c.jpg

Edited by ghengishahn

I would also have to see this book in person, hold it in my hands, to make sure he actually has it in his hands. The price just seems to good to be true. Why not put something like this on e-bay or send it out for slabbing and get much, much more for itm if its in the proclaimed grade. just my 2c.

DRX

Could be that the cover was cleaned with a solvent bath making the covers much brighter and whiter than the interior. That maybe how the covers shrunk a little bit. But, this is all speculation. Best to hold the book in your hands. Good luck!

Impossible to say from those terrible photos , but if I were to guess I would say it was a photo copy wrapped around a nice interior. Not to mention something is just not quite right about that outer edge.

I would ask for hi res photos, and or if you could see the book in person before making ANY kind of deal.

Something stinks about this one.

I would drop what I was doing right now and take the next bus over to the dude's house and check it out. Get the full story while you're at it. Worst thing that could happen? He's a fraud, but the money stays in your pocket (unless two guys follow you home and mug you). lol

Looks like a photocopy cover.

Could be, but I don't know how you think you can tell that from some krappy cell-phone photos. :screwy:

The middle photo is the tell, tanned interiors against a miscut cover that shows no hint of tanning. Actually the third photo shows this as well.

Top middle of the interior appears to have a tear seal(or something), and the top staple area shows hints of possible rust migration against a bone white cover.

While the hand puppet shadow show was nice, better photos would help.

But until then, guessing is fun isn't it. :D

Now thats more like it! Will teach me to spout off about a book based on crahppy photos. :blush:

But yeah, this book was trimmed at the least, that ulc is a wreck. Obvious CT, possibly washed, pieces added, tears sealed, who knows. No real point in guessing what was done anymore, lets just say you should stay far away, especially for $4,000!

You said it yourself..it was too good to be true, the black dots on the interior are nice though. :eek:

Kenny, where do you see the obvious CT? I looked for a while and as far as I can tell the pixel pattern is preserved throughout. This looks like a slam-dunk photocopy cover to me. Looks like low PQ inside and maybe even rusty staples.

Kenny, where do you see the obvious CT? I looked for a while and as far as I can tell the pixel pattern is preserved throughout. This looks like a slam-dunk photocopy cover to me. Looks like low PQ inside and maybe even rusty staples.

doh! Yeah, that makes sense - disassemble the book to add a "photocopy" cover and reassemble using rusty staples meh PQ often has nothing to do with the condition of the cover, and yes, I agree with Kenny that the spine looks reinforced and color touched. :grin:

No real point in guessing what was done anymore, lets just say you should stay far away, especially for $4,000!

You said it yourself..it was too good to be true, the black dots on the interior are nice though. :eek:

Agreed. Too good to be true, generally is. :grin:

doh! Yeah, that makes sense - disassemble the book to add a "photocopy" cover and reassemble using rusty staples meh PQ often has nothing to do with the condition of the cover, and yes, I agree with Kenny that the spine looks reinforced and color touched. :grin:

insufficiently_thoughtful_person. To do all that color touch you'd have to disassemble and reassemble.

Look at the N in Chameleon for some of the color touch!!!!

I'm underwhelmed by that. I can see some spots that are possibly[/] touched up, but not with any degree of certainty. The most suspicious spot to me is the lower left corner. I wanted Kenny's opinion because, unlike divad, he knows what he's talking about.

And divad ssabmud, my point is that your theory about replacing rusty staples along with the cover falls apart if you wouldn't do the same after restoring the cover.

To be honest with you it is a crahhpshoot trying to tell from a scan, I am just guessing but the black line of the book is suspect as are the staple areas. The BC LRC also looks wonky as well. Again, seeing the book in person would be worth a thousand photos.

Like you when I first saw the photos in this thread I thought the cover was a repro, it still might be. But why would somebody cut a repro cover so short on both sides?

I fear the more I type the better the odds are I will have to put my foot in my mouth when proved incorrect. :blush: