• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Spidey 1 restored? (Now with high res photos!!)

41 posts in this topic

The real "tell" here besides the same mis-cut of the FC is the matching color breaking "creases" in the blue portion of the BC through the words morning and store as well as the line in the white above the guys head:

Amazing_Spider-Man__1_Backside-1.jpg

asm1-coverrecreationbc-MattNelson.jpg

That is definitely Matt's ASM #1 cover.

What is really disappointing here is the fact that someone is trying to pass this off as the real thing... :sorry:

Looks identical. One would have to have it it hand to do so? hm Or can this be done digitally? Paging buttock (with an apology :foryou: ) . . . :grin:

And I have to state the obvious, "Whither the arseman?"

Looks identical. One would have to have it it hand to do so? hm Or can this be done digitally? Paging buttock (with an apology :foryou: ) . . . :grin:

And I have to state the obvious, "Whither the arseman?"

(thumbs u

The black line that goes down the spine of Spidey #1 has a break in it and is not solid all the way down on a natural copy.

I am surprised that when Matt restores a book he fills in this break to make a complete line - unless that is something he does on the recreated covers only so they are even more of a give-away

The black line that goes down the spine of Spidey #1 has a break in it and is not solid all the way down on a natural copy.

I am surprised that when Matt restores a book he fills in this break to make a complete line - unless that is something he does on the recreated covers only so they are even more of a give-away

What black line are you referring to? I'm confused... (shrug)

I respectively disagree. This is the back cover from a 9.4 ASM #1 that clearly shows the entire black line:

ASM194BCLine.jpg

Unless you are referring to the small "tick" mark in the middle Indy_think.gif

This revelation adds a whole new level of depth to the mystery. Clearly, someone using Matt Nelson's services for a repro cover is someone familiar with the hobby... and may be known to the community.

Your garden variety Craig's List scammer isn't going to Matt Nelson to get his scam bait.

It would be interesting if Matt had a customer that requested a repro ASM 1 cover in the area of this seller.

hm

I forwarded all of this to Matt and will see if he can shed some light as to who had the work done(and if the book in this thread really is his work)

And if it is, was it done for the same guy who listed it on Craigslist as NM.

This is, thus, a coverless copy 0.5...worth $500-1000 max. :o

So is that automatic? Any reproduced cover is automatically considered a coverless .5? Just wondering as there seems to be a number of books with reproduced covers on Ebay at the moment. Just wondering what the "real" grades might be. Does it matter if the interior is nice or are all coverless books dropped to .5 out of the gate?

Gotta say - this thread truly illustrates the value of these boards. I haven't been frequenting the boards lately, but with WonderCon looming I thought I'd "bone up" on the latest in scams, conspiracy theories (or just plain conspiracies ;)) and resto cons... And I'm really glad I did.

Kudos (worship)