• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If a crash does come....what will YOU do?

107 posts in this topic

Yes. I (gasp!) collected beanie babies at the height of their popularity several years back, and you could buy brand new beanies when they came out and immediately sell them on Ebay and at shows for twice what you paid.

If you are stuck with them, I've got this really STUPID but greedy old lady who'll take them, as long as you mark them with black "x"s on their butts and call yourself "drunkensailor" tongue.gif

Zonker, can you add one more catagory? It would read as follows: "I buy comics because I enjoy the hobby. It's not an investment alternative to stocks, but it does serves as part, a relatively small part, of my overall investment portfolio, the largest parts of which consist of my house, 401(k) plan, etc. I would not spend the bucks I do if I thought I was [!@#%^&^] the money away like I would be driving a Lexus out of the showroom. But considering both the investment potential AND the enjoyment I derive from the hobby, I consider it a wise use of the funds I devote. If I did not derive pleasure from the hobby, I would probably put less, if any, money into it, as it is rather more time consuming than buying and sitting on a mutual fund and, from a financial risk-reward perspective, probably still riskier than the S&P 500 over the long term." And you can go ahead and check that box for me. Then again, I buy Golden Age books, and don't spend ludicrous multiples of Guide for a book because it hasn't a single stress mark and/or caught CGC on a good day and/or sat in some basement in Colorado for a real long time. So I see my downside as perhaps more limited than it is for those investing in more recent books that (a) are in relative abundance, (b) may well be found in the hands of more pure speculators than there are people who truly value them at the price they command and © have not proven their ability to attract a well-heeled market over decades. Those books could be ripe for some serious devaluation.

So when I do nab the USM run for cover price, what will that make you?

Unsurprised. Christ, JC... you act like a comic book has never decreased in value!

So why are you calling me stupid?

Because you're using ONE modern example, an example of Marvel's undying arrogance and oft-repeated-and-always-failed business model, as validation of your shortsighted theory.

You want to talk "Crash", then sack up and say what you mean. I can't believe that you actually think you can use a MODERN book as an example, particularly with the way you trash Valiant all the time.

A TRUE crash will reach far beyond modern books, JC. I think you know that. Well, I thought you knew that. Maybe your constant vacillating is throwing me off? Is this merely a ploy to lure others to the Dark Side? Are you feigning surrender in order to gain the favor of others who found you too confrontational before? Again, I ask this because I can't believe you are truly this short-sighted.

If you're not stupid, prove me wrong. Sack up, say what you mean, and stand up for yourself. If you think the comic market is going to CRASH, then say it will CRASH and don't cite "new fad" MODERN examples... give examples of books that will crash across the ages. Why would you cite a "hot" ultra-volatile MODERN book unless you were desperate for validation?

And for the love of god, get over your weight issues.

Why should he do your research for you? In each collectible thats crashed things follow a basic pattern whether it be Ferrari's, Beanie Babies, Sports Cards, etc. Though in comics as JC said without doubt the most ridiculous and heinous amount of speculation is occuring on new CGC'd books. The jailbreak mentality that modern CGC flippers have is a definite alarm bell, and its more a matter of when rather than if people will stop paying $100s-$1000s for new CGC'd tripe.

How that effects other areas of comics is a personal opinion but it will effect them, personally I'm very curious as to how it happens, I'm not going to be thrilled when it does but every book I own I own for its artistic merit, because I enjoy having it or, or because the characters involved have some nostalgic value for me.

Otherwise what else can I do but sit back and watch the show?

popcorn.gif

I think the better question is - what will you do when that long foretold crash NEVER comes? What will approximately one third of the brain surgeons on this board be left to do with all their time. I know - they will just continue to bless us with their knowledge and let us know that the crash will be coming - next year. So really the crash cult can never be wrong - they just have to keep pointing to other collectibles, the ups and downs of the market and say the big one is just around the corner. Just like me telling everyone here that they will die and pay taxes. Eventually something bad will happen - just you wait!

I really feel that PSA 9's were bought by collectors and therefore had shorter to fall, while the PSA 10's were propped up by spec bidding and hype. I also heard many times that "there wiill always be a buyer for the very best", but they forgot to understand "but at what price?".

Sound familiar to anyone?

It depends. How much has the value of Honus Wagner or Babe Ruth in high grade changed between two years after certification started in the card market and today? Jordan going down doesn't surprise me.

I think the better question is - what will you do when that long foretold crash NEVER comes? What will approximately one third of the brain surgeons on this board be left to do with all their time. I know - they will just continue to bless us with their knowledge and let us know that the crash will be coming - next year. So really the crash cult can never be wrong - they just have to keep pointing to other collectibles, the ups and downs of the market and say the big one is just around the corner. Just like me telling everyone here that they will die and pay taxes. Eventually something bad will happen - just you wait!

I'm not a superstitious person but I'm also not stupid, throughout history when theres been rampant speculation theres been a corresponding crash. To call the majority of what we're seeing with modern CGC books anything other than pure speculation would be erroneous.

I'm not sure why comics should be immune from the same sort of hobby wide correction that sports cards experienced I'm all ears however for the explanation.

As for your inference that I'm a doom sayer, well thats silly, I am sitting on tens of thousands of dollars of mostly silver age comics. No one wants a crash but right now the comics hobby is cancerous it needs a correction to get healthy and realistic again.

I almost can't get my mind around the enormity of this stupidity.

You can get all but 1-5 for cover or less right now. What are you waiting for? Get the trade of 1-5 and read them. They're great fun.

Without having read anything more than just the first post on this thread... Myself, Ill sit back, start buying as many high grade, low price stuff as I can, and sit back and be happy, since I collect for me, and not to keep the world spinning. Wouldn't a crash be great for those who simply collect, and terrible for those who look to turn a profit from the hobby?? I could care less if my Avengers 4 in 7.5 is worth $500 or $5000. Im happy just having it as part of my Cap America collection.

thumbsup2.gif

Unsurprised. Christ, JC... you act like a comic book has never decreased in value!

So why are you calling me stupid?

Because you're using ONE modern example, an example of Marvel's undying arrogance and oft-repeated-and-always-failed business model, as validation of your shortsighted theory.

You want to talk "Crash", then sack up and say what you mean. I can't believe that you actually think you can use a MODERN book as an example, particularly with the way you trash Valiant all the time.

A TRUE crash will reach far beyond modern books, JC. I think you know that. Well, I thought you knew that. Maybe your constant vacillating is throwing me off? Is this merely a ploy to lure others to the Dark Side? Are you feigning surrender in order to gain the favor of others who found you too confrontational before? Again, I ask this because I can't believe you are truly this short-sighted.

If you're not stupid, prove me wrong. Sack up, say what you mean, and stand up for yourself. If you think the comic market is going to CRASH, then say it will CRASH and don't cite "new fad" MODERN examples... give examples of books that will crash across the ages. Why would you cite a "hot" ultra-volatile MODERN book unless you were desperate for validation?

And for the love of god, get over your weight issues.

Why should he do your research for you? In each collectible thats crashed things follow a basic pattern whether it be Ferrari's, Beanie Babies, Sports Cards, etc. Though in comics as JC said without doubt the most ridiculous and heinous amount of speculation is occuring on new CGC'd books. The jailbreak mentality that modern CGC flippers have is a definite alarm bell, and its more a matter of when rather than if people will stop paying $100s-$1000s for new CGC'd tripe.

How that effects other areas of comics is a personal opinion but it will effect them, personally I'm very curious as to how it happens, I'm not going to be thrilled when it does but every book I own I own for its artistic merit, because I enjoy having it or, or because the characters involved have some nostalgic value for me.

Otherwise what else can I do but sit back and watch the show?

popcorn.gif

So how much did YOU dump into Valiant books back during the last Craze? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You can get all but 1-5 for cover or less right now. What are you waiting for? Get the trade of 1-5 and read them. They're great fun.

I did buy the trades from 'House, and I know that other than 1-5, there is virtually no money to be made on USM.

Once the first 5 drop dead, then I'll fulfill the prophecy of cover price for all!

And P.S. people are making a big deal about using USM as the basis for the crash, which in reality, it's just a jab for a prediction I made long ago, and was almost laughed out of the forum for even stating such a thing.