• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: Your view of the money you have tied up in comics

The money I have put in comics is  

297 members have voted

1. 1. The money I have put in comics is

69 posts in this topic

Yes it does, it's limited to a portion of the city. However, Los Angeles has a unique smell all to it's own not to mention in Seattle during certain periods of the day there's a distinct smell of garbage in the air. What's your point?

Garth, understandable but I'd think that people would be more likely to save their money than they would to take a bigger gamble on comics. It's really not that difficult to buy property. But to each their own

Gene, that's just silly. Oh so I should move to NY because I can go to 6, count them, 6 DIFFERENT COMIC SHOPS?? Wow, I'm sooo there. We have plenty of nice restaurants in Iowa, I've traveled multiple places and I don't thrill to the art of cooking a meal. I must say however that the best meal I've ever had was in Carmel at a place called Gems, I believe that's the spelling. The guy can really cook. Museums? We've got 'em. And realistically how often are you going to visit a museum? Daily?? Weekly? I might go for the diff exobitions but really nothing more.

Sports teams? Yeh, those Giants and Jets.. boy are they good. What's that? Yeh, the Knicks are a totally killer team too. I'm perfectly fine watching the U of I and ISU play.

If you don't think there's culture in Iowa, you've obviously never been so I'll leave it at that....

Brian

Oh so I should move to NY because I can go to 6, count them, 6 DIFFERENT COMIC SHOPS??

What part of sarcasm don't you get? confused-smiley-013.gif

If you don't think there's culture in Iowa, you've obviously never been so I'll leave it at that....

Methinks thou protest too much...I think this statement just swayed the few people who didn't already agree with me over to my side, so I'm content to leave it at that. tongue.gif

Gene

My point is that you can pull any one quality about a city out of context and use it as a reason for not liking it... having lived in both Iowa (I was born and raised in Charles City) and in nyc (a total of six years) I can honestly say there were times in New York that I felt I was living in a small town i.e. having a cold one in a neighborhood bar and being treated way more friendly than my wife and I were treated at the Tic Tock (msp?) lounge in Cedar Rapids on a trip home a few years ago... then again we also visited the Cedar Rapids public library and were treated to one of the largest collections of children's book original art (the librarian was very gracious and excited to show the pieces off). Also, all the American Gothic statues around downtown were very cool. Sorry to go on a rant, but the major difference in a large city and Iowa in my opinion is that in the larger cities I find more people of like mind culturally speaking.

Dan.

Ah the cultural elite - beat down on the midwest(and everywhere else) again. Even Oliver Douglas and Zsa Zsa had enough sense to get out of the city - Hooterville was the place to be. I won't even get into the rest of it(unless the nyc trolls force me to) but just suffice it to say that it was 78 here today and I swam laps in an out door pool and thought about walking over to the beach. Anyone see that commercial with the guy in the parka and snow up to his knees saying to himself "pretty girls in bikinis."

Ah the cultural elite - beat down on the midwest(and everywhere else) again. Even Oliver Douglas and Zsa Zsa had enough sense to get out of the city - Hooterville was the place to be. I won't even get into the rest of it(unless the nyc trolls force me to) but just suffice it to say that it was 78 here today and I swam laps in an out door pool and thought about walking over to the beach. Anyone see that commercial with the guy in the parka and snow up to his knees saying to himself "pretty girls in bikinis."

Yep, and here in Kansas I slid sideways down the icy, icy highway. What's your point, Clob, other than proving to everyone here exactly what you were trying to contest?

The midwest sucks.

It's the hottest in the hot season and the coldest in the cold season. It sucks.

Missouri. Heard of it? It is, as we speak, trying to give Arkansas a run for its money as "Crappiest State In The Union".

Kansas? Great place to visit but... wait, no it's not.

Nebraska? FANTASTIC place if you love no-neck rednecks and people not hip enough to live in the cooler midwestern states.

Iowa? Well, you KNOW who lives there. 'Nuff said.

You know if you don't like it that much, what's keeping you here? You act like some bitter old man in the body of a younger man. Have you been to Iowa or any of those places you commented on?

As for Winter? Personal preferences. You might ask, why is U of Iowa able to recruit football players out of Florida? Some of them actually enjoy the snow. I'm sure it'd be a big change from never having any.

Brian

You know if you don't like it that much, what's keeping you here? You act like some bitter old man in the body of a younger man. Have you been to Iowa or any of those places you commented on?

As for Winter? Personal preferences. You might ask, why is U of Iowa able to recruit football players out of Florida? Some of them actually enjoy the snow. I'm sure it'd be a big change from never having any.

Brian

The reason why U of I can recruit out of Florida is because those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons have never SEEN snow and they don't know how much it sucks and they aren't good enough to play for one of the Florida schools.

And yes, I've been to exotic, remote Iowa. And Nebraska. And Missouri. And I live in Kansas. And I have nothing to prove here. lol You're damned right I'm a bitter old man in the body of a old younger man. wink.gif And I'm damned right that the midwest sucks and will continue to suck in perpetuity until the middle of the nation simply falls into the center of the earth.

Oh, and "what's keeping (me) here"?

Family.

School.

But they are only temporary obstacles which impede the work that will bring me to my ultimate goal... Global Domination. Or maybe I could be satisfied with just dominating the midwest? Or maybe just Greggy?

I see.. and where is it you have been in those places? Did you get beat up while you were there? Honestly, I can't imagine going to a couple places and then coming back and hating them..?

As for the football recruiting, then how do you explain the multiple players Iowa has pulled out of the Southern states who had offers from other schools inc Big 10 conf ones and other Southern schools. Not to mention recruits don't commit to a school without visiting it, and the way high school football schedules are set up there's no way most players can get an official visit before the weather becomes cold and snowy.

Brian

I see.. and where is it you have been in those places? Did you get beat up while you were there? Honestly, I can't imagine going to a couple places and then coming back and hating them..?

As for the football recruiting, then how do you explain the multiple players Iowa has pulled out of the Southern states who had offers from other schools inc Big 10 conf ones and other Southern schools. Not to mention recruits don't commit to a school without visiting it, and the way high school football schedules are set up there's no way most players can get an official visit before the weather becomes cold and snowy.

Brian

Have YOU ever been out of the state of Iowa, Murph? Honestly, I know a LOT of Iowans and they all seem to have this same attitude. Unusual. See, I've been around the world, I've been to all 49 states (I'll never recognize Utah as a member of this fine nation), I even drove my car to Mars once just to check out a comic collection... what's your point, exactly? Do you really want my travel diaries? Is it so inconceivable that I just cannot stand the midwest? There's a reason why there's only 400,000 people in the largest city in Iowa... and it's not because you guys have a "hidden gem" up there. 27_laughing.gif

And as far as your football analysis is concerned, your Murphian Logic is, as usual, so specious as to be virtually unassailable by a rational mind. Let me go bust out a couple lunatics from one of the plentiful midwestern prisons and I'll let them take a crack at your Rubik's dodecahedron of inanity.

And Iowa sucks more than any other state in the midwest simply because it is home to the methamphetamine capital of the WORLD... DES MOINES!

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gif

Wow, so I ask you what you don't like about them and instead of just writing a reasonable response like a normal person, you go off in MajorKhaos land. Wholy hell!! You've been to 49 states? Amazing, maybe you and an biographer can get together and chronicle your journies so we can all hear about how crappy the world is in the eyes of MajorKhaos. Wouldn't that be... "interesting". I'm sure you can toss in a bunch of jibberish like you have done just now regarding the football recruiting comment, because that's what you do when you don't understand a particular issue. You make wise crack comments and attempt to sound ingenius with drawn out quips. Yes, I have been to plenty of other states and countries. I've said that, I believe, twice on here at this point. Perhaps we should just move on, you have some sort of childhood scarring from living in the MidWest..

Brian

P.S. Des Moines is without a doubt, NOT the Methamphetamine capital. There's far far more meth produced in the rural towns than there is in Des Moines. Hell, someone has to supply it to the meth-using populus of those big cities.

C'mon guys, this is silly - everyone know NC is the best state in the Union! Where else do you get earthquakes, blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, heat, humidity, and UNC fans!?!? 27_laughing.gif

Mosquitoes, banner, ya forgot to tell 'em about the mosquitoes.

Not that we wouldn't love to have Murph and Khaos relocate here...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and droughts and ice storms and copperheads and rattlesnakes and bears and and and and...

Kudzu. Yeah miles & miles of kudzu swallowing up the place. That's it.

Wow, full disclosure. I feel better now. Please resume the regional bashing on this once-fine poll thread. thumbsup2.gif

Mosquitoes, banner, ya forgot to tell 'em about the mosquitoes.

Not that we wouldn't love to have Murph and Khaos relocate here...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and droughts and ice storms and copperheads and rattlesnakes and bears and and and and...

Kudzu. Yeah miles & miles of kudzu swallowing up the place. That's it.

Wow, full disclosure. I feel better now. Please resume the regional bashing on this once-fine poll thread. thumbsup2.gif

Zonker, I apologize, but I cannot stand idly by while Murph sits there on his throne of [!@#%^&^] and lures all these poor, unsuspecting east-and-west coasters to their doom here in the armpit of the world! He's the Queen of the Sirens, Zonk! The Queen of the Sirens! He would love nothing more than to see some poor family from San Jose come to the midwest and slam their rickety wooden ship into one of our plentiful, yet not spectacular, rock formations.

He's an evil genius, Zonk. Well, he's evil anyway. And I promise you, I'm done. Right after this next post. Then I'm done. I swear. I promise.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Wow, so I ask you what you don't like about them and instead of just writing a reasonable response like a normal person, you go off in MajorKhaos land. Wholy hell!! You've been to 49 states? Amazing, maybe you and an biographer can get together and chronicle your journies so we can all hear about how crappy the world is in the eyes of MajorKhaos. Wouldn't that be... "interesting". I'm sure you can toss in a bunch of jibberish like you have done just now regarding the football recruiting comment, because that's what you do when you don't understand a particular issue. You make wise crack comments and attempt to sound ingenius with drawn out quips. Yes, I have been to plenty of other states and countries. I've said that, I believe, twice on here at this point. Perhaps we should just move on, you have some sort of childhood scarring from living in the MidWest..

Brian

P.S. Des Moines is without a doubt, NOT the Methamphetamine capital. There's far far more meth produced in the rural towns than there is in Des Moines. Hell, someone has to supply it to the meth-using populus of those big cities.

Is this your way of saying "ERROR! ERROR! DOES NOT COMPUTE"?

I've TOLD you what I don't like about the midwest. There's NOTHING HERE. If you think there's "stuff" here, then you've never been anywhere. There's some "jibberish" for you. And how can I not "understand (this) particular issue"? We're discussing what I don't like! Isn't it my preference?? Oh, and I hate the weather. And I hate the fact that the midwest is strip malls and housing developments as far as the eye can see. And Cracker Barrel. And Stuckeys... don't even get me started on Stuckeys...

I'm just flattered that you think I sound ingenious. cloud9.gif

And I must apologize...

Yes, I have been to plenty of other states and countries. I've said that, I believe, twice on here at this point.

YE CATS!

I will have my Official Murph Biographer/Intern dismissed, savagely beaten, accidentally murdered, buried in a shallow grave, dug back up, chopped up, fed to dogs, and never, ever forgotten immediately.

Honestly, is it SO hard to use the search engine on the message board for these things? How hard would it have been to type in something like "me have gone far to places far from meth capital of world", sifted through the OTHER mounds of nigh-illiterate posts from the OTHER neo-cavemen who have somehow figured out how to turn on a computer and type, hired a crack team of linguistic experts, and... oh, this is what you were talking about with the "drawn out quips" remark, eh?... too bad. Where was I? Oh yes: ...linguistic experts, and bought them all pizza and beer so they could get drunk and fat enough to understand what you were trying say through your almost-systematic grunts, belches, and hoots.

What does being fat have to do with it? I don't know. But what else are linguistic experts going to have with their beer? Honestly, Murph, I don't know where your head is sometimes.

Well after wading through your usual amount of BS, I actually got a response to the question. AMAZING. Was it really that hard? Obviously so, since you couldn't simply reply with what you didn't like about them. I'll just go on ignoring you now. thumbsup2.gif

Brian

Well after wading through your usual amount of BS, I actually got a response to the question. AMAZING. Was it really that hard? Obviously so, since you couldn't simply reply with what you didn't like about them. I'll just go on ignoring you now. thumbsup2.gif

Brian

My "usual" amount of BS?? USUAL?!?!?! That was FAR more BS than my USUAL amount, Murph! I went above and beyond the call of duty for you and you call it my "USUAL" amount?!?!?!

I forgot to mention what I hate most about the midwest... closed minds and limited perspectives. So, what do you like about the midwest? Besides the abundant meth, of course.

Well, the meth supply is nice and constant. I'm more partial to the easy availability of coke and marijuana. Those Canadians can really get some nice buds down here.

I like Iowa because... people are more friendly (in my experience), you can go places and actually run into ppl you know instead of a room full of strangers, real estate prices aren't insane, you can actually DRIVE around at 5 o clock, attracts a lot of businesses despite being a smaller market, the snow (I actually like snow), it gets hot but not too hot, I could go on and on....

Brian

Well, the meth supply is nice and constant. I'm more partial to the easy availability of coke and marijuana. Those Canadians can really get some nice buds down here.

I like Iowa because... people are more friendly (in my experience), you can go places and actually run into ppl you know instead of a room full of strangers, real estate prices aren't insane, you can actually DRIVE around at 5 o clock, attracts a lot of businesses despite being a smaller market, the snow (I actually like snow), it gets hot but not too hot, I could go on and on....

Brian

I understand most of your reasons... but businesses? You mean a Home Depot-Best Buy-Target-Borders quadumvirate at every third corner? A McDonalds every forty yards?

I say this because I KNOW you're not talking about "mom & pop" businesses. Those are going the way of the dinosaur. mad.gif