• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF Price Surge....what will the Guide say?

191 posts in this topic

Not exactly sure when the movie was announced. But, CBG reported release date of late 2004 just a few weeks ago (1st week in Dec?). Could explain some of the most recent listings.

Don't forget, Ultimate FF comes out this week as well. That may have some effect on the current trend.

Chris

Newly revised release date for the FF movie is July 1, 2005. December 2004 was unrealistic given they haven't casted anybody yet, much less begun shooting. Last time I heard news about the -script, it was that they were still working on it. The studio might even be looking at the popularity of Ultimate FF to gauge how much to spend, as in Hulk-like numbers or Daredevil-type numbers. It'd be tough to render their powers with CGI for anything less than Hulk-like numbers...

I know for a fact that the announcement of the FF movie halted some early high grade books from hitting market in 2003, but it doesn't wipe out the fact that from 2000 to 2002 darn few hit the market when the movie was still just a faint, 8-year old, million dollar promise.

Newly revised release date for the FF movie is July 1, 1995. December 2004 was unrealistic given they haven't casted anybody yet or begun shooting. Last time I heard news about the -script, it was that they were still working on it...

I know for a fact that the announcement of the FF movie halted some early high grade books from hitting market in 2003, but it doesn't wipe out the fact that from 2000 to 2002 darn few hit the market when the movie was still just a faint, 8-year old, million dollar promise.

Given that, maybe aman is closer in his assessment. Spidey was more heavily collected (as Marvel's most popular character). The movie comes out just as CGC starts really picking up steam. Everybody spends their money on slabbing Spidey as that's where the $$$ is at.

Spidey prices go berserk (remember the $700 Peter Parker #1), and maybe there are some deals to be had on "lesser" titles (you got quite the 'steal' on your FF#52 if I remember correct). More people start buying the "lesser" titles, so more start getting slabbed. confused-smiley-013.gif

Chris

Not exactly sure when the movie was announced. But, CBG reported release date of late 2004 just a few weeks ago (1st week in Dec?). Could explain some of the most recent listings.

Don't forget, Ultimate FF comes out this week as well. That may have some effect on the current trend.

Chris

Forgive my ignorance on modern comics...

What is Ultimate FF? confused.gif

What is Ultimate FF? confused.gif

Reboot of the title in Marvel's "Ultimate" universe, along the same lines as Ultimate Spider-Man. Ultimate Spidey is the most popular book in the last 10 years or so, and I assume they're hoping for somewhat similar but much more modest success with Ultimate FF.

Oh, I meant is it a comic book, or a trade paper back or something else?

I never checked out the Ultimate Spideys... smirk.gif

If it's just a comic for $2 or so I will order/buy it from my comic shop.

The guy will fall over.

I haven't bought a new comic from him since the early 1980s I think... 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Yep. It's a new monthly. Looks pretty good from the preview in (shudder) Wizard.

If you are a fan of the old FF stories, I would highly recommend the regular title. Mark Waid is the writer, and he really has captured the team as well as anyone since Stan the Man. The last two arcs have been "fantastic".

Keeping/rehiring/whatever was the best move Marvel could have made.

Chris

Yep. It's a new monthly. Looks pretty good from the preview in (shudder) Wizard.

If you are a fan of the old FF stories, I would highly recommend the regular title. Mark Waid is the writer, and he really has captured the team as well as anyone since Stan the Man. The last two arcs have been "fantastic".

Keeping/rehiring/whatever was the best move Marvel could have made.

Chris

What the regular title?

Volume 3 or something?

Issue 1 - up?

Oye! I think it's still Vol. 1. For awhile, Marvel went with the "new numbering system" adn the book got up to #70 or so. But, they converted it back to "normal numbering" when the title hit it's 500th issue.

It's currently the only FF title out. Although there is the Ultimate FF this Friday, and another title "4" coming out soon. Just ask your guy at the shop for the "Unthinkable" trade, and start there.....

Chris

It'd be tough to render their powers with CGI for anything less than Hulk-like numbers...

Geeze, you didn't hear? They're not actually "rendering" their powers.

Johnny will be carrying a Bic, they're glueing Chex on a fat wrestler for The Thing, and Reed will just wear really, really, really long sleeves with fake gloves sewed on.

It'd be tough to render their powers with CGI for anything less than Hulk-like numbers...

Geeze, you didn't hear? They're not actually "rendering" their powers.

Johnny will be carrying a Bic, they're glueing Chex on a far wrestler for The Thing, and Reed will just wear really, really, really long sleeves with fake gloves sewed on.

Nice one, JC.... sign-funnypost.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I hope the movie is a mega-hit like Spiderman or at least the X-men.

I need to cash in on my FF horde...

Hell I hope it's a success no matter the effect on comic prices. Of all the Marvel properties, FF is the one I've always wanted to see....

Jim

Of all the Marvel properties, FF is the one I've always wanted to see....

I'm skeptical. It seems infinitely easier to screw up an FF movie than to get one right...I hope they ditched that campy/comedy angle they were throwing around a year or so ago, although that could work if handled well.