• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WATCHMEN QUESTION

25 posts in this topic

I didn't read this when it came out and haven't read the individual comics in my collection because I don't have a complete set. I did buy the TPB a couple of months ago and was planning to read it on a plane trip or something, but forgot to pack it three straight times.

Anyway, with the movie comig...do you think it will ruin the movie for me having read it (because a 2 hour movie can't possibly do it justice) and that I should read it afterward or just go ahead and read it and then see the movie? I'm assuming none of you have seen the movie pre-release, but maybe you're familiar with it trhough partial bootlegs or whatever.

I know the ending is somewhat different. It is really up to you if you care about spoiling some of the other surprises. Movie makers always change something about the comic. If it was me, I would read the trade after the movie. Reading the trade may fill in some gaps and will go into greater detail.

Put me in the book --> movie camp.

Whichever one you do first will likely spoil the other. The payoff with Watchmen isn't the ending, it's the journey getting there.

I recommend taking some time with the book. Don't read it all at once. One chapter/issue a night or something like that. It's not something to be rushed through.

i would normally say read the book frist, but I'm thinking I'm going to see the movie, then buy the trade and read it. I think I would prefer a rough overview and then read the book if I like the movie. i think this is mostly since i've decided to be a lot more discriminating in my collection buying so i don't end up with a lot of i later have to get rid of, like I do now. (not saying that watchmen will be )

Gotta go with movie second book first. We're talking about one of the greatest stories ever written here. As much fun as the movie is going to be i would not for one second allow it to affect the mystery and magic of the book. It would be like denying yourself the opportunity to ever read watchmen cold. The mystery and suspense will be comletley gone. For god's sake, please do not watch the movie first!!!!

Having said that, read the main story first and read the extra bits that are at the end of each chapter last. It will make for a more fluid reading experience, and the bonus stuff will be a nice extra when it's over and there is no more material to read. IMO It's the equivalent to stopping a movie every 10 minutes and watching one of the bonus features when the extra material is read in between the main story. That's my advice for any first time reader. I actually did that the 1st time i read it because the text pieces were just too daunting for my 9 year old brain to handle. I read it in 1988 or therabouts. I still read it this same way semi-annually.

it doesnt matter if you read it first or after, as long as you do, you'll just enjoy it 2 different ways if you read it after, you see all these familiar things and have a nice grin on your face, but if you read it before you'll get goosebumps when all the scenes happen in the movie, and while 2 and half hours cant do it justice it will still be a good 2 and half hours

Watch the movie and forget the book (which is what I should've done!)

I suggest reading the book first. The movie might be good but the book is great. You will certainly get more out of the book plus you will get to pick small stuff out of the movie that others who didn't read the book will miss.

Watch the movie and forget the book (which is what I should've done!)

u didn't like it?

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i sure like the book and will never forget it.

I thought it was overrated and a bit overdone...

WARNING...SPOILERS!!!!

my problem is if I read the book first, which I normally prefer to do, i then rip the movie apart wihile I'm at it. One of the reasons I own, but don't often watch the spider-man movies. Since I've heard so much good about the book, i'm sure I'll enjoy it either way, but don't want to ruin the movie by being picky about details (which I am)

my problem is if I read the book first, which I normally prefer to do, i then rip the movie apart wihile I'm at it. One of the reasons I own, but don't often watch the spider-man movies. Since I've heard so much good about the book, i'm sure I'll enjoy it either way, but don't want to ruin the movie by being picky about details (which I am)

i concur!

Put me in the book --> movie camp.

Whichever one you do first will likely spoil the other. The payoff with Watchmen isn't the ending, it's the journey getting there.

I recommend taking some time with the book. Don't read it all at once. One chapter/issue a night or something like that. It's not something to be rushed through.

Agreed wholeheartedly - and when one is done reading the book, give it a couple of days to absorb, then read it again.

(thumbs u

-slym