• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

Well, Overstreet thought it was only 150k

Is it safe to say now that we have recent sales of a 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 copy that all the hype around how this book would have gone north of $500,000+ is a dream world? Not to diminish a spectacular $317,000 sale but it didn't look like too many people were bidding this book down the stretch.

let the record reflect I predicted $317K (thumbs u

It would have gone much higher had you simply kept bidding. :gossip:

you might be right...but I didn't...had to establish a max...and that was it

Rick, how do you feel right now?

Louise says (maybe) relieved.

hm

naturally I am saddened by the close loss...but, who is to say if I bid $325,000 that someone would not have bid more making me lose at 325,200 (I really don't like that small increment, I wish it was like $5K or 10K, etc, that would have been better, IMO, but it is what it is)

hm

naturally I am saddened by the close loss...but, who is to say if I bid $325,000 that someone would not have bid more making me lose at 325,200 (I really don't like that small increment, I wish it was like $5K or 10K, etc, that would have been better, IMO, but it is what it is)

Rick, let's face it, you now have a helluva war chest to chase pretty much anything you want. (thumbs u

hm

Rick, let's face it, you now have a helluva war chest to chase pretty much anything you want. (thumbs u

more beach houses (shrug)

Not to diminish a spectacular $317,000 sale but it didn't look like too many people were bidding this book down the stretch.

Looked like only two bidders were after the book reached $300K (or maybe even before). I assume they were passionate collectors (although I see implications otherwise here). Now one of those bidders has their book. So I guess if an Action 6.0 appeared tomorrow, the market value would be what Rick is willing to pay. The known market is now Rick.

hm

more beach houses (shrug)

Actually, I can see you hunched over a longbox, plumber's crack showing, elbowing some fat comic geek out of the way, as you pour through dollar books at WW Chicago. :insane:

Well, Overstreet thought it was only 150k

Is it safe to say now that we have recent sales of a 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 copy that all the hype around how this book would have gone north of $500,000+ is a dream world? Not to diminish a spectacular $317,000 sale but it didn't look like too many people were bidding this book down the stretch.

What did the 2.0 and the 4.0 sell for?

I agree...the way it was bid up like that was complete compostable_fertilizer. :frustrated:

It appears extremely transparent...who at the $300k mark is bidding in hundreds of dollars for chrissakes???

I'm upset for a friend.

I guess what Rick and I discussed at Megacon was true, and for that I'm sorry for you Rick.

:foryou:

Jim

What, that this was nothing more than an exercise in hype (Metro) and futility (Rick)?

Yeah, I think we all knew that. :whatev:

I would be shocked to hear such things. meh

Some of the comments here are a little disturbing to me as an attorney. The Comicconnect User Agreement states that the "Seller may not withdraw items listed at Auction." If that's what surreptiously happened, as some here seem to be implying, that would be a breach of that agreement. And Andrew Cuomo has pursued auctioneers whose employees were bidding on items being sold by the auctioneer. So any such accusation is very serious, and when made in a forum such as this, could be considered slander per se if it is unfounded. So I'd caustion everyone to not make such accusations. Of course, if that IS what happened, Rick has some legal remedies .. .but that is best taken up with an attorney not an internet forum.

hm

Absolutely. $200 increments at that level is to low. IMO. (shrug)

hm

Absolutely. $200 increments at that level is ridiculous IMO. :screwy:

naturally, I have never bid on a comic in that price range, but I did think the $200 bid increment was a too little to seperate bidding (just used to the growing increments with growing prices)...but, if that is the way CC has it set up...so be it...

$85,000 on Comiclink and Zaid brokered the 4.0 for just north of $200,000.

So $317K for a 6.0 falls in line with those values - I can understand how people thought a 6.0 would fetch an additional premium as a copy that nice rarely shows up, but given the current global financial situation, it's not surprising that there's not a surplus of bidders for a book approaching the mid six figures. For all the speculation as to what the Church copy might be worth, I wouldn't be surprised if it did better in a private sale rather than an auction situation if it were to become available. the same could be said for any high grade copy.

Now if it were a real key like Superman #6, well.............

Some of the comments here are a little disturbing to me as an attorney. The Comicconnect User Agreement states that the "Seller may not withdraw items listed at Auction." If that's what surreptiously happened, as some here seem to be implying, that would be a breach of that agreement. And Andrew Cuomo has pursued auctioneers whose employees were bidding on items being sold by the auctioneer. So any such accusation is very serious, and when made in a forum such as this, could be considered slander per se if it is unfounded. So I'd caustion everyone to not make such accusations. Of course, if that IS what happened, Rick has some legal remedies .. .but that is best taken up with an attorney not an internet forum.
My accusation is that I would not be surprised to see the book made available. Or sold back to Metro. Sometimes people are in love with the idea, but the actual end result may not keep the luster. And there are many times a high dollar book has been purchased and immediately made available only to take a loss from the prior hammer price.