• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A box full of NM Action #1s?

What would you do?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

47 posts in this topic

That is a good idea.. I'd venture you could make.. what.. 3 million total selling those low grade books and the 2 NMs to the million dollar offerers.

No matter what you do, releasing the NM copies first would kill your profit margin. Keep those til last and suck up all the other low, mid and high-grade money before taking Geppi JP to the cleaners.

But perhaps their offers drop when they start to see the census triple in a year?

But they're not interested in the low to mid-grade copies, and as long as you work your way up, they won't care a whit. If you suddenly pop on the market with 10+ CGC NM copies, then everyone will know.

It's like any form of entertainment, you start out slow, build momentum, and then unleash everything in a killer ending sequence.

Well I think part of the reasoning of the huge offering is the perceived rarity of the book as a whole. If it suddenly turns out theres 70 copies on the census at 5.5 and below, I'd guess the offer goes down some.

Brian

God!!!! What is your deal with Hulk #181??? I don't think anyone really thinks there is a guy out there with a box of 10,000 Hulk 181's. I hope for you sake you were joking. Let me guess you have a 9.6 Hulk #181 and are trying to prove how rare it is to make more money off of it. Do yourself a favor and change your book to one that is rare.

Eric

Here's a true story though. My friend had a comic shop downtown and a guy came in asking if he bought old comics, of course he does. The customer opened the first box. Inside was 200 NM-Mint copies of Daredevil #1. Apparently a few boxes of comics shipped from the publishers came to a store and were NEVER opened. I cannot remebember all the other issues, but I do remember another comic was Hawkman #1, 200 copies, all NM-Mint. That happened about 10 years ago.

Timely

Yeh, but FOR EXAMPLE lets say there's only been 100 copies of Hulk 181 graded with no high grade.. would it be worth more in this instance versus if there were 2,000 graded with no high grade? I would bet the lower the census # would make a diff as to what someone is willing to offer.

Brian

God!!!! What is your deal with Hulk #181??? I don't think anyone really thinks there is a guy out there with a box of 10,000 Hulk 181's. I hope for you sake you were joking. Let me guess you have a 9.6 Hulk #181 and are trying to prove how rare it is to make more money off of it. Do yourself a favor and change your book to one that is rare.

Eric

Here's a true story though. My friend had a comic shop downtown and a guy came in asking if he bought old comics, of course he does. The customer opened the first box. Inside was 200 NM-Mint copies of Daredevil #1. Apparently a few boxes of comics shipped from the publishers came to a store and were NEVER opened. I cannot remebember all the other issues, but I do remember another comic was Hawkman #1, 200 copies, all NM-Mint. That happened about 10 years ago.

Timely

hopefully your friend wasn't a dumb arse and bought the books. makepoint.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused.gif

NM-M by today's standards or 10 years ago. If there are 200 9.8 copies of Daredevil #1 out there then why haven't any been slabbed. He could have made over a hundred grand durring the movie hype.

Eric

Though I seriously doubt 500 copies of Action 1 have been in the same place since they left the printing house, I often wonder what is out there.

Four years ago I had to go to this little drug store to get my wife’s meds. Walking into the place was like walking onto the set of It’s a Wonderful Life. They still had a soda fountain, the pharmacist wore the old style coat and a sign on the counter read “The store is old. We are old. Have patience”. They were not kidding either. It took them a while to fill the prescription, but it gave me time to look around.

I was shocked at the things I saw. On the shelves were items and ingredients that were no longer sold and some were even illegal to be sold over the counter. On the counter was a Timex display with the first digital watches ever made. I walked down the isles with disbelief as I picked up board games and trinkets that were 50+ years old.

As I was walking back to the counter, I spotted a comic book stand. You could imagine what was going through my mind. I think I tripped over my own feet getting to it. No luck, though. The only fresh things in the whole store were the comics. 893frustrated.gif

Eric

Timely

There are so many things wrong with this story I don't know where to begin. In the 1960s books were not sent by publishers to stores. World Press in Sparta used to deliver only to large magazine distributors. They didn't box the comics, instead they banded them together and shipped them on huge pallets.At the distributor level,they were opened and then rebanded for each individual store. They were handled with little care by teamsters so that even in the unlikely event a single store recieved 200 copies of a book,no way they would be all nm-mint.

This is little more than an urban legend. Read Chucks descriptions of MH2 or any other warehouse find-no boxes. Phil Seuling started shipping comics in boxes around 1975.

I agree this story just sounds stupid. Any comment Timely?

It's very possible that the base of the story is true, but that the guy was blowing off remaindered (unreported/stolen) warehouse issues and didn't want to get into any trouble.

Back in my younger days, when I used to haunt the local shop, I'd see this all the time. Some guy would walk in, ask if they bought old comics, and then spout off some tale about being a "big collector" who "bought multiples" and that they were "looking to sell off".

Partially, this was to try and not get ripped off (although the owner fleeced them like sheep), but also because it sounded better than:

"Hi, I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person with no idea of comic book values. My family bought a storage facility and we found a huge pile of old comics. Here are the ones the rats didn't chew". grin.gif

And it's just as unlikely, if not more unlikely from what I've read from Shadroch, that it's NOT true at all.

You must live in the capital of high grade comic hoards. I've never seen anyone else who has a story for just about any and every book possible, until I met you. Guess you're just in the right place at the right time every time, eh?

Brian

And it's just as unlikely, if not more unlikely from what I've read from Shadroch, that it's NOT true at all.

You must live in the capital of high grade comic hoards. I've never seen anyone else who has a story for just about any and every book possible, until I met you. Guess you're just in the right place at the right time every time, eh?

Is this directed at me or Timely?

Well I'm gonna say something then.

You seem like a newbie to comic collecting, with little long-term knowledge of the business, the inner workings of a comic shop (I worked PT during high school) or the sheer amount of comics that are out there. You think that stating that HG Silver and Bronze are RARE IN GRADE will somehow make it so, and you do so using a life collecting experience measured in years, not decades.

Now go play with your houses.

Oh and Murph, go ask some longtime dealers and store owners if EXACTLY what I stated has never, ever happened:

"Back in my younger days, when I used to haunt the local shop, I'd see this all the time. Some guy would walk in, ask if they bought old comics, and then spout off some tale about being a "big collector" who "bought multiples" and that they were "looking to sell off".

Partially, this was to try and not get ripped off (although the owner fleeced them like sheep), but also because it sounded better than:

"Hi, I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person with no idea of comic book values. My family bought a storage facility and we found a huge pile of old comics. Here are the ones the rats didn't chew"."

I bet 100% say yes. In fact, it happened just last week at my LCS, when I was picking up some sportscard sheets for Xmas.

Crazy huh, a guy walking into a comic shop, looking to sell comics? I must live in some whacky city!

Ahh.. so you finally decide to jump on someone. After all, I'm only the 6th or 7th person that has found it out the number of deals you've seen, the books you own, and the stacks of Hulk 181's that all your friends have. Really I assumed more from you then to puff your chest out and tell me I'm a comic book newbie. lol

Do you think that telling us over and over again a crash will happen will somehow make it happen? Obviously you do cause you can't say it enough.

Now you go play with your stacks of Hulk 181s and X-men 94's that you supposedly own.

Brian