• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turn Off the Oven, Watchmen is DONE!

124 posts in this topic

SPOILERS 23 YEARS LATER! lol

Ok I am definitely an outsider looking in:

1. I never read the Watchmen, but I'm a 100% comic fanboy. :blush:

2. I was able to see the film through the eyes of the general public.

Besides the dragging of certain parts, I really enjoyed the film. I could also understand why the public would NOT enjoy the film. As stated before, the film was an intertwining of layers and sub-plots, something a comics' fan is accustomed to. Your avg. joe who wants to be entertained would miss the premise of the movie, especially if he's seen films w/ Moores' influence BEFORE Watchmen (Dark Knight/Rorschach= vigilante sociopaths, Heroes season 1/Veidt=New York destroyed to save the world, Dark Avengers/Watchmen= the bad guys win, etc.)

I'm a 36 yr old man that CRAVED to see Spider-Man/X-Men films as a kid. Now that comics have become a booming billion-dollar movie franchise industry, I think some of us(myself included) have gotten spoiled. I appreciate the fact there's a Watchmen/X-Men/Spider-Man film!

Not too long ago, these films were mere fantasy in our childhood dreams.

That being said, everything predicted came to fruition: Moore said the book was "unfilmable", and the boardies said the general public wouldn't get it. I got a good film that opened my eyes to Moores' genius and influence in comics/tv shows/movies that can still be seen today. My 2c

In order to work, they needed someone with the balls to make the changes needed to support a movie storyline and experience. No one but a few fanboys wanted Snyder to "imagine the panels of the GN as duplicated live-action shots". That's just lame to the Nth degree. doh!

Watchmen_fanboy.jpg

No, it's the other way around Nerd-Boy, Snyder is a fanboy himself and kept about 97% of the movie entirely consistent with the GN. As a movie this "graphic novel regurgitation" sucked hard, and needed to be reworked from the ground up, similar to V for Vendetta.

I wanted to see some changes to make the movie flow better, and that would have really ticked off the greasy fanboys.

No, it's the other way around Nerd-Boy, Snyder is a fanboy himself and kept about 97% of the movie entirely consistent with the GN. As a movie this "graphic novel regurgitation" sucked hard, and needed to be reworked from the ground up, similar to V for Vendetta.

I wanted to see some changes to make the movie flow better, and that would have really ticked off the greasy fanboys.

Nerd-Boy?! lol

You make the boards part of the fun coming on Vince. And I mean that. But rarily do you miss the point like you did this time.

I totally get where you were coming from, which is why the movie was not as strong. So even a fanboy would have realized to make the beauty of the original material work today, change was needed, and not a regurgitation of the material like a mindless drone.

Besides the dragging of certain parts, I really enjoyed the film. I could also understand why the public would NOT enjoy the film. As stated before, the film was an intertwining of layers and sub-plots, something a comics' fan is accustomed to. Your avg. joe who wants to be entertained would miss the premise of the movie, especially if he's seen films w/ Moores' influence BEFORE Watchmen (Dark Knight/Rorschach= vigilante sociopaths, Heroes season 1/Veidt=New York destroyed to save the world, Dark Avengers/Watchmen= the bad guys win, etc.)

I'm a 36 yr old man that CRAVED to see Spider-Man/X-Men films as a kid. Now that comics have become a booming billion-dollar movie franchise industry, I think some of us(myself included) have gotten spoiled. I appreciate the fact there's a Watchmen/X-Men/Spider-Man film!

That being said, everything predicted came to fruition: Moore said the book was "unfilmable", and the boardies said the general public wouldn't get it. I got a good film that opened my eyes to Moores' genius and influence in comics/tv shows/movies that can still be seen today. My 2c

This is written like I would have written it except that I didn't feel the film dragged at all.

(thumbs u

In order to work, they needed someone with the balls to make the changes needed to support a movie storyline and experience. No one but a few fanboys wanted Snyder to "imagine the panels of the GN as duplicated live-action shots". That's just lame to the Nth degree. doh!

Watchmen_fanboy.jpg

We are all anxiously awaiting your masterpiece. Since you're obviously smarter and more talented than anyone else who ever lived, it should be world-changing. :popcorn:

We are all anxiously awaiting your masterpiece. Since you're obviously smarter and more talented than anyone else who ever lived, it should be world-changing. :popcorn:

I wouldn't take it personal WP. Joe Collector is the "Triumph the Insult Dog" of the forum. He means well.

joecollector_truimph.jpg

I understand JC's point about needing to make more changes to adapt the GN into a well structured movie - this is true - but I don't care.

I'll happily - nay, proudly - accept the mantle of fanboy/nerd/geek etc, but my wish was to see the GN employed as a storyboard. I didn't quite get that, but close enough, and the stuff Snyder faithfully reproduced on the screen was wish fulfillment par excellence. I sat there for much of the film with a childish look of joy on my face, sat forward in my seat.

Of course it was a poorly structured film. Rather than employing a traditional 3 act structure with setup, crisis and resolution, it was episodic. Hardly surprising since it tried to faithfully reproduce a 12 part story! Also the ending was mediocre, just as it was mediocre in the original format.

I could spend pages ripping into this and that which I think should've been done differently, but I loved what I got too much to waste time dwelling on those things.

Gonna see it again before it closes :grin: I just so badly want to watch Doc Manhattan's TV interview and origin sequence to the tune of Philip Glass's Koyaanisqatsi score again (and the rest) :cloud9:

Watching 300 doubled by sperm count.

300 > Watchmen.

Um, so seeing a bunch of almost nekkid men doubled your sperm count as opposed to seeing Silk Spectre nekkid?

hm, not that there's anything wrong with that.......

lol

300 > Watchmen.

Um, so seeing a bunch of almost nekkid men doubled your sperm count as opposed to seeing Silk Spectre nekkid?

lol

lol

300 > Watchmen.

The stimuli that causes an doesn't increase your sperm count, and vice versa. If your junk was functional, you would know that.

lol

This is written like I would have written it except that I didn't feel the film dragged at all.

(thumbs u

Thanks. It's refreshing to see I'm not by myself on these points. (thumbs u (thumbs u

Saw it last night with my wife who does not read comics but who I made read the book beforehand. She enjoyed it except for the last 10 minutes or so. While she does not generally enjoy movie endings, I had to agree with her. The ending was weak just as the GN's ending was weak. We were both in agreement that the rest of the movie was good not great. We also agreed that it was too character driven for the general American public.

As for its legs, the movie suffered from a perception problem. Most people don't know the story going in. So they have to base their opinions on trailers which I believe play up too much of the action part. Once inside the theater, the movie is not an action flick. It's not My Dinner With Andre but it's going to leave a good chunk of people wanting.

My wife and I appreciated it for what it was, a character story set in the superhero milieu.

say what? a cerebral waterfall? I havent a clue, but I love the expression!

It's like a plethora of mesmerizing recondite. :cloud9:

That's funny yo, my grandmami' use to say that same thing all the time, especially when I would try to weasel my way into staying up, geez, I remember it like if it was yesterday, except she would say

"That's a buttload of faggitty nonsense, getchur azz to bed" !!!

I wouldn't take it personal WP. Joe Collector is the "Triumph the Insult Dog" of the forum. He means well.

joecollector_truimph.jpg

Yah, he's been waiting 20 yrs to make this thread, so we should all go with the flow and let him enjoy a moment.

Saw it last night with my wife who does not read comics but who I made read the book beforehand. She enjoyed it except for the last 10 minutes or so. While she does not generally enjoy movie endings, I had to agree with her. The ending was weak just as the GN's ending was weak. We were both in agreement that the rest of the movie was good not great. We also agreed that it was too character driven for the general American public.

As for its legs, the movie suffered from a perception problem. Most people don't know the story going in. So they have to base their opinions on trailers which I believe play up too much of the action part. Once inside the theater, the movie is not an action flick. It's not My Dinner With Andre but it's going to leave a good chunk of people wanting.

My wife and I appreciated it for what it was, a character story set in the superhero milieu.

Well said. Your wife reads comics with you? :headbang: