• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,754 posts in this topic

I must say I saw a picture of your #1 9.8 and I like it allot better :foryou:.

Well, thanks. I appreciate it. I hope you know I was just messing around about the "bigger boat" comment. (thumbs u The seller here is just exasperating. I feel like we are all throwing money at him saying "look at me, love me, I am worthy" and he's looking ignoring everyone.

As for my copy. I read somewhere that on qualified signatures CGC may actually downgrade for the signature as writing on the cover. So my copy may be a technical 9.9 with a reduction to 9.8 for the unwitnessed O'barr signature.

So it's possible the one if the auction is a 9.8, and mine looks a little better because of the potential 1/10th of a point off for the sig.

As for my copy. I read somewhere that on qualified signatures CGC may actually downgrade for the signature as writing on the cover. So my copy may be a technical 9.9 with a reduction to 9.8 for the unwitnessed O'barr signature.

Although I think your copy looks better than what is on eBay right now (and it is), I don't think CGC downgrades for the signature. That is why it has a Qualified Label.

CGC's description of Qualified:

A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear." Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as "Name Written on Cover."

Late to the thread and didn't realize the comm issues with the seller. I placed a bid yesterday and requested some additional info including a scan of the back. I don't waste my time with a seller who doesn't answer and will retract my bid if I don't hear from them in 48 hours. When you have an active auction going for a week, you should reply to every question within 24 hours. At least I do.

Late to the thread and didn't realize the comm issues with the seller. I placed a bid yesterday and requested some additional info including a scan of the back. I don't waste my time with a seller who doesn't answer and will retract my bid if I don't hear from them in 48 hours. When you have an active auction going for a week, you should reply to every question within 24 hours. At least I do.
:hi: I'm still really sorry about those Stuff of Legend books you wanted too!

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Although I think your copy looks better than what is on eBay right now (and it is), I don't think CGC downgrades for the signature. That is why it has a Qualified Label.

A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear." Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as "Name Written on Cover."

There's a thread in the signature section that talks about this.

I have to find it. I might be getting it confused with if a book gets a blue label with writing on it it gets downgraded , but if it get a green label the grade doesn't go down.

Something like that. I was hoping for an easy explanation as to why mine looks better than this one at auction, but I guess there is none.

Well, thanks. I appreciate it. I hope you know I was just messing around about the "bigger boat" comment. (thumbs u The seller here is just exasperating. I feel like we are all throwing money at him saying "look at me, love me, I am worthy" and he's looking ignoring everyone.
I did receive a reply from eBay yesterday though. :acclaim:

...I still was watching the original auction and eBay notified me it was relisted. :blahblah:

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Whoops. I'm sorry, I was selling a CGC 9.9 Stuff of Legend #1 and others a while back on eBay. I mixed you up with another. I just did that with Bosco too. :blush:

I have to find it. I might be getting it confused with if a book gets a blue label with writing on it it gets downgraded , but if it get a green label the grade doesn't go down.

Something like that. I was hoping for an easy explanation as to why mine looks better than this one at auction, but I guess there is none.

Nick is right - with a qualified label CGC completely ignores the "defect" that puts the book in a qualified slab (like a signature on the cover) and grades it as if the defect wasn't present.

Doesn't mean that your 9.8 couldn't be nicer than his, though - there are always varying degrees of 9.8-ness.

I think it is when the signature is inside the book and it is counted as a defect, and mentioned on a blue label. When it is on the cover, it ends up as a Qualified Label.

I have an UXM 141 like this where it is a gorgeous book, but John Byrne signed the splash page for someone. So CGC gave it a CGC 9.4 Blue Label, and somehow the submitter was able to get CGC to note "John Byrne" written inside as usually they will state "Name written on splash page."

:gossip:This is turning into one of the all time best threads ever!!!!

:censored: It even has ninjas!!!! :headbang:

Now get ready for Chucky! :o

My ex-girlfriend Jen's Crow books before I did their pictures again for her registry set.

DSC06449.jpg

Her Caliber Presents #1 with her creepy Chucky dolls.

DSC065161.jpg

I'm a pretty tough guy, but I hate dolls

I got my "doll-phobia" after watching Poltergeist when I was 7 in '82 myself. I'm also petrified of round face twin girls too, thanks to a viewing of The Shining when I was 5 for that one.

Oh reallllly?

hm