• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,303 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's book. It took me a while to find a copy I liked at a price I liked... I think speculators are grabbing it for the MAUS connection.

Short Order 1.jpg

Fun goofy cover‼️👍

On 12/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, OtherEric said:

Freak Bros 12.jpg

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers/Fat Freddy's Cat are the only other two titles of which I have full runs.

Maybe I should do a mini-gallery...

On 12/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, Jayman said:

Very nice! You must have the full run by now, right?

I still need 1, 2, 4, and 6.  And not being picky on what printing I get, either.  The 8 was a 2nd print, although erroneously marked as a first.  It was cheap enough I don't care, particularly since I'm not going for a pure 1st print run already.

Not counting books that only ran 1-3 issues, I think the only UG full runs I have so far are Zap, Skull, Bijou, Arcade, and Comix Book. 

Edit:  Oh, and Junkwaffel

Although now that I think about it, that's a meaningful percentage of UG's that ran 4 or more issues...

Edited by OtherEric

I found this in my collection, dont remember when or how it got into my collection, but....

I know there are several printings, but have no idea what printing this is. So I thought to come to the underground Gods to give me insight.

20221211_080347.jpg

On 12/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, oakman29 said:

I found this in my collection, dont remember when or how it got into my collection, but....

I know there are several printings, but have no idea what printing this is. So I thought to come to the underground Gods to give me insight.

20221211_080347.jpg

Kitchen Sink Press comix often included printing info in the indicia ... the smallest number is the printing, 1 is first, 2 is second etc

Similar to many book publishers 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

Two additions today.  Both first prints, comixjoint claims there was only one printing on Sunpot but I'm pretty sure I've seen 2nd prints for sale.  My copy does include the schematic poster.  And this makes the second or third time I've bought the story, I've got both the reprint in the first issues of Heavy Metal and the original publication in Galaxy.

Freak Bros 06.jpg

Sunpot.jpg

On 12/15/2022 at 9:35 AM, OtherEric said:

Two additions today.  Both first prints, comixjoint claims there was only one printing on Sunpot but I'm pretty sure I've seen 2nd prints for sale.  My copy does include the schematic poster.  And this makes the second or third time I've bought the story, I've got both the reprint in the first issues of Heavy Metal and the original publication in Galaxy.

Freak Bros 06.jpg

Sunpot.jpg

There was only one printing of that edition of Sunpot, but there may also be a version that Bode himself issued prior to his death in another form, much like a lot of things that later got printed in more standard comic book form, but I've not seen a copy first hand. I have seen many copies of the Bagginer Press or Stellar, Sunpot, which you have, and have not seen any that state, or seem like a second print.

EDIT: So having gotten off my and pulled down my trusty Fogel guide, I did find that Bode self-published a version in 1969, that he signed, that predates the version shown above. So technically the Stellar edition is a 'first thus', no? And that self-published edition is quite scarce and goes for big bux by comparison......

Edited by wpbooks01

On 12/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, wpbooks01 said:

There was only one printing of that edition of Sunpot, but there may also be a version that Bode himself issued prior to his death in another form, much like a lot of things that later got printed in more standard comic book form, but I've not seen a copy first hand. I have seen many copies of the Bagginer Press or Stellar, Sunpot, which you have, and have not seen any that state, or seem like a second print.

EDIT: So having gotten off my and pulled down my trusty Fogel guide, I did find that Bode self-published a version in 1969, that he signed, that predates the version shown above. So technically the Stellar edition is a 'first thus', no? And that self-published edition is quite scarce and goes for big bux by comparison......

Thank you for looking this up.  Although the 1969 date doesn't make sense... The series appeared in GALAXY in early 1970, and was apparently specifically commissioned (and then deliberately sabotaged by the editor), so not sure why there would be a self-published version before that.  Particularly because the ending was specifically in response to the editorial meddling.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:06 PM, OtherEric said:

Thank you for looking this up.  Although the 1969 date doesn't make sense... The series appeared in GALAXY in early 1970, and was apparently specifically commissioned (and then deliberately sabotaged by the editor), so not sure why there would be a self-published version before that.  Particularly because the ending was specifically in response to the editorial meddling.

I agree. Your post made me recall that when I looked up the info on my own copy a few years ago, I came across the entry for the 1969 version. I've not even seen a photo of it, so I too am dubious, but figured the info was worth passing on since it was found in a book of renowned, if you will!

On 12/16/2022 at 5:01 PM, Jayman said:

Very nice! As second prints go, I very much like the different look to this book from the first print. (thumbsu

I like the idea, but honestly think the red is the better looking version.  But the price difference is pretty big, so I'll take this one and be happy with it.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:10 PM, OtherEric said:

I like the idea, but honestly think the red is the better looking version.  But the price difference is pretty big, so I'll take this one and be happy with it.

Oh I like the red border too! I just meant I like the fact that the second print stands out on its own with a distinct difference.

Slow Death # 1.jpg

Slow Death # 1 2nd Print.jpg