• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,279 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2023 at 8:36 PM, wpbooks01 said:

This massive and delightful tome arrived in the mail today, in surprisingly nice condition considering it's voyage from overseas! A catalog for an exhibition in Spain that happily includes English text along with Spanish! Crazy book that I stumbled onto a couple of weeks ago, totally unaware of it's existence!

moscosocosmos.jpg.fc379d675c82fe242e8456b46e4f131f.jpg

Artista galego Victor Moscoso (Vilaboa, Oleiros, 1936) !!!!
https://fundacionluisseoane.gal/gl/publicacions/moscoso-cosmos-o-universo-visual-de-victor-moscoso/

On 3/9/2023 at 10:12 PM, Jayman said:

First underground pickup in a while. Contains the classic “A Clockwork Orange” parody, A Shockwork Lemon. :headbang:

Drool # 1.jpg

904CDA26-DCC1-4DEC-AFD2-1D0BB9869976.jpeg

Love these type parodies 👍❤️

On 3/12/2023 at 10:09 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Love these type parodies 👍❤️

Not to mention the artwork is by Ralph Reese and Larry Hama. Hama most known for Marvel’s GI Joe series.

Heads up for Harvey Pekar fans: I had wanted to read his Michael Malice graphic novel for several years but the book is out of print and way too expensive for someone who just wants a reader. I stumbled across a version on the internet archive that is freely available.

https://archive.org/details/harvey-pekar-ego-hubris-the-michael-malice-story-restored/mode/2up

Harvey%20Pekar%20-%20Ego%20%26%20Hubris%

On 3/15/2023 at 8:49 AM, RedRaven said:

Heads up for Harvey Pekar fans: I had wanted to read his Michael Malice graphic novel for several years but the book is out of print and way too expensive for someone who just wants a reader. I stumbled across a version on the internet archive that is freely available.

https://archive.org/details/harvey-pekar-ego-hubris-the-michael-malice-story-restored/mode/2up

Nice to see you posting now an then👍‼️

On 3/15/2023 at 8:49 AM, RedRaven said:

Funny you posted this recently as my brother found this recently at a thrift shop. He recognized it looking kinda like Galactus and thought it might be an artist I knew. Admittedly I didn’t until I searched and saw he worked on American Splendor which I had seen before but as someone unfamiliar with the underground comic scene, that was all I knew.

Not sure of the age…any guesses out there?

53E0E719-3230-444C-A263-37381CBAF17B.jpeg

On 4/7/2023 at 8:28 AM, rjpb said:

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Plymell Zap #1. The irony is I'll probably unload my UG collection in the next year as I plan to move abroad upon retirement, but even just having it for a while is cool.

zap 1.jpeg

PBA special! Not a bad deal! I know the guy who used to own it! Presents very chicly! Congrats!

On 4/7/2023 at 12:41 PM, wpbooks01 said:

PBA special! Not a bad deal! I know the guy who used to own it! Presents very chicly! Congrats!

A 4.5 sold for a similar price per point on comiclink recently. Prices seem all over the place on this book, but I feel like I was able to pick it up at the lower end of FMV. 

I got one for $10 around 1999 or so and sold it not much later for $2,700 (much to my surprise and delight) to a fellow who said he had about 10 of them. It was raw when I got it and sold it, but upon receiving it, the buyer told me it was one of the nicer ones he had,  but not the nicest. 

Something else cool about that experience was that I exchanged emails with Plymell himself, when the Ebay auction somehow got his interest.

Final bit to the story: I got that it so cheap because the dealer who had it (and some other rare titles) used the Overstreet Guide religiously to price books, but of course, these weren't priced in there. The dealer had a "Feds & Heds" #1 1st Printing which I wanted even more than the Zap, as I'm a big Freak Brothers fan. There was also a Zap #0 that I now know for sure was a first print, but at the time, I wasn't certain (because the cover price was 35 cents, a dime more than the Zap #1), so the third and final book I bought was another Zap #1, but a 3rd Print (oops), although that one is in really nice shape.

When I brought them up, I asked how much for these? The dealer said something like, "I'm thinking $12 each on those, but since you're getting three books, $30 is good". Neither of us had any real idea of their value, but I do remember telling my girlfriend that the Zap 1st print was probably worth something like a hundred bucks. That was the very early days of Ebay when I sold it, and it was a thrill to see the book get multiple bids that first day and hit $300 right away, but that last hour when it gained over a thousand bucks to finish at $2,700+ was a thrill I haven't forgot. (There were 3 different bidders who went over $2k). I was so nervous mailing it, I remember sending it between two pieces of wood, haha. Final Value fees on higher priced items were like 3% back then, and since all payments were cash, checks, or money orders, there were no additional fees from payment method. Ah, good times.  

I still have the Zap 3rd print and the Feds (it's shown earlier in this thread), and I've loved having them all these years. 

Congrats, rjpb, on the big pickup! 

Edited by jdandns

That was an insanely good deal, even in 1999, sweet.  It definitely seems like more copies have surfaced in the last decade, which has perhaps kept prices from rising. It seemed super-rare twenty years ago, but the census reports 133 copies slabbed (though some may be resubmits), though there are likely at least as many raw still floating around, which makes Crumb's recollection of a 5K print run more probable than Plymell recalling only 1500. I've never been clear on how many copies were in Don Donahue's files, and how many of those were singed in the Opera House fire. I remember when the fire copies surfaced, and back then the market seemed hungry enough that even pretty burnt copies got bought up for more than I would have considered paying. 

There was a rumor in the 2000's that Zap and some of the other iconic UG titles were about to be listed in the Overstreet Annual Guide, but it never happened. (I think. I haven't gotten a new one in a couple of years now.). I do remember seeing the Zap #1 in a color photo and an article mentioning its significance in various editions of the guide, but I guess them actually listing them in the catalog with prices was a bridge too far for  editorial, probably due to the adult content in most underground titles. (At least we got Fogel's.)

When I scored my Plymell Zap back in the mid-90's, the store I got it from was still using Kennedy, and sold me the book based on a fraction of the $140 listed there! At the time the LCS had no other clientele that was UG friendly and immediately thought of me when they uncovered the Zap in a forgotten box of material left over from a previous owner's cache. I paid somewhere between $30 and $40 as there were a few other UG items mixed in and I paid $50 for the whole lot, with my eye especially on the Plymell.

I did score a couple of mint copies of SFCB #1 for amazingly cheap in the early 2000's due to a typo in the original Fogel Guide which listed a top condition copy at $3, which the store owner abided by when pricing the comix! I didn't argue as I had paid slightly more for 3 other copies Gary Arlington sold me when he found a few in a storage cabinet while I was asking him about something else! It was weird to go from having no copies of that supposedly scarce funnybook, to all of a sudden having a seeming plethora in a coincidentally short time frame.....since then....bupkis!

On 4/9/2023 at 12:40 PM, wpbooks01 said:

When I scored my Plymell Zap back in the mid-90's, the store I got it from was still using Kennedy, and sold me the book based on a fraction of the $140 listed there! At the time the LCS had no other clientele that was UG friendly and immediately thought of me when they uncovered the Zap in a forgotten box of material left over from a previous owner's cache. I paid somewhere between $30 and $40 as there were a few other UG items mixed in and I paid $50 for the whole lot, with my eye especially on the Plymell.

I did score a couple of mint copies of SFCB #1 for amazingly cheap in the early 2000's due to a typo in the original Fogel Guide which listed a top condition copy at $3, which the store owner abided by when pricing the comix! I didn't argue as I had paid slightly more for 3 other copies Gary Arlington sold me when he found a few in a storage cabinet while I was asking him about something else! It was weird to go from having no copies of that supposedly scarce funnybook, to all of a sudden having a seeming plethora in a coincidentally short time frame.....since then....bupkis!

I paid $30 for a VG SFCB #1 in the late 80s, the most I had paid for an UG at the time. I never really looked for an upgrade. I was able to score alot of once read and put away mostly 1st editions (inc. Fed's &Heads #1),  from a guy I worked with in the early 80s, who had grown up in Austin and bought about 100 UGs from 68-72. I bought the whole box for $60, but a few were missing like SFCB #1, Tales of the Ozone #1, and Insect fear #1, so I figured they were rare (I'd never seen them), and probably paid too much when I did finally find them. A few in the box were second editions (like Bijou #1 and Zap #1), but I never really cared that much, and until I purchased this Zap, had never really hunted down first editions if I had an early printing. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, rjpb said:

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Plymell Zap #1. The irony is I'll probably unload my UG collection in the next year as I plan to move abroad upon retirement, but even just having it for a while is cool.

zap 1.jpeg

Congratulations on the great book and pending move! Cool untrimmed copy. Let this one be a symbol of your upcoming change ️ 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er