• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,303 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2021 at 3:36 AM, ug18 said:

I would like if those could be plausible market values, but I doubt. I got a copy for a few bucks not too many years ago. Let's see if anybody bids.

I doubt it also, but everyone should be aware that high grade copies are indeed selling for $1000+ compared to $20 about years ago. The highest recent sale that I know of is $1800 for NM trimmed version. IMO that way too much, but bubbles are what they are.

On 6/17/2021 at 12:30 PM, OtherEric said:

@CDNComix:

You mentioned over in the Eerie #1 thread that somebody had discovered a real first printing of Collected Cheech Wizard #1.  I was wondering if you could elaborate on that, or at least provide a link to that discussion?

Thank you for your time.

Yes , wpbooks correctly responded a little before me, but please find the IFC images (50 cent cover with no ZIP code and phone number with an area code at the bottom of the IFC - thought to be the new first) and Kennedy's cited first (50 cent cover with ZIP code at the bottom of the IFC and phone number with area code). This discovery was made by a comic store owner when she was comparing her copies of Collected Cheech. The presumption is that the variant without a ZIP and area code was the first regional version sold locally within the area and was replaced with a national version (Kennedy's first) sold across the country. Makes sense to me.

Oddly there was a rumour going back many years that there was a "true first printing" with a $1 cover price that has never been seen (because it does not exist?).2131906343_CheechWizard-50centvariant2.thumb.jpg.2662c01a44c29b917b66a59938bccbf0.jpg

Cheech Wizard - 50 cent variant.jpg

2 Cheech Wizards 50 cent covers.jpg

Edited by CDNComix

7 hours ago, CDNComix said:

I doubt it also, but everyone should be aware that high grade copies are indeed selling for $1000+ compared to $20 about years ago. The highest recent sale that I know of is $1800 for NM trimmed version. IMO that way too much, but bubbles are what they are.

Good. I am saving  the book within an envelope now :-)  :-) :-)

6 hours ago, CDNComix said:

Yes , wpbooks correctly responded a little before me, but please find the IFC images (50 cent cover with no ZIP code and phone number with an area code at the bottom of the IFC - thought to be the new first) and Kennedy's cited first (50 cent cover with ZIP code at the bottom of the IFC and phone number with area code). This discovery was made by a comic store owner when she was comparing her copies of Collected Cheech. The presumption is that the variant without a ZIP and area code was the first regional version sold locally within the area and was replaced with a national version (Kennedy's first) sold across the country. Makes sense to me.

Oddly there was a rumour going back many years that there was a "true first printing" with a $1 cover price that has never been seen (because it does not exist?).2131906343_CheechWizard-50centvariant2.thumb.jpg.2662c01a44c29b917b66a59938bccbf0.jpg

Great Info. Thanks a lot.

6 hours ago, CDNComix said:

Thank you.  It looks like I've got the 2nd print, after all.

8 hours ago, CDNComix said:

I recall there being a non-existent price variant for Cheech/Schizophrenia but not for the pictured Cheech Wizard. Drove me crazy trying to find that one!

15 hours ago, wpbooks01 said:

I recall there being a non-existent price variant for Cheech/Schizophrenia but not for the pictured Cheech Wizard. Drove me crazy trying to find that one!

Sorry you are correct. I was mixed up and indeed the "phantom" price variant that I was thinking of involved Cheech/Schizophrenia, not Collected Cheech (as stated above by me). Please forgive the elderly and their delapidated memories. Thanks for having my back, wpbooks01.

10 hours ago, CDNComix said:

Sorry you are correct. I was mixed up and indeed the "phantom" price variant that I was thinking of involved Cheech/Schizophrenia, not Collected Cheech (as stated above by me). Please forgive the elderly and their delapidated memories. Thanks for having my back, wpbooks01.

I had read that Kennedy put a few false items in his Price Guide that he could point to if anyone tried to use his research for purposes that ran counter to his, or basic copyright protection, and now assume that faux price was one of his 'traps'!

I know the seller of the Ebon 9.0 and the 9.4. He is a friend of mine and the 9.0 was my copy which I had slabbed. He is intentionally listing the prices high as he will sell them, but someone would have to pay dearly. He has the Best Offer featured enabled, but I know will not let them go cheap. Prices are going high for many key African-American books as there is a fan base willing to spend the money.

Edited by Brother J

21 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Gave my NM+ copy of Ebon (framed) to a coworker in 2013 :facepalm:

Nice gesture, I sold the 9.0 for MUCH less than what it would go for now, but I don't regret it as I made a good friend out of the deal, and he is a fellow Cheesehead (says the cheesehead transplant who is now back in PA).

On 6/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, CDNComix said:

It's a very rare, probably non-underground but a DIY fantasy comic series. It is cited (small cover image of #1) in the FUGG 2015/16, probably because one of the guide's senior advisors always has had pushed for it to be listed as an underground. I have never seen an example of any of the series for sale, let alone handled a copy, so I cannot offer any more.

Just wanted to comment that I've got a friend who is a pretty rabid collector of indie / small-press / self-published fantasy books and fanzines. He's heard of Aruba, but has also never seen a copy. Our guess is effectively self published, limited local distribution, and so indeed very rare.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:11 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Wasn't sure if these should go in the This Week In Your Magazine thread, or here, so I opted for what I perceived to be the safer venue. Snagged these at a local library sale a few years ago and then forgot about them until today when I was straightening up some piles of paper.  Seems like a good place to share, at least in this forum...

http://www.sci.fi/~karielk/jymy.htm

Jymy magazine, published in 1973-75, presented Finnish readers with the best American underground comics, such as the works of Robert Crumb and Gilbert Shelton. Huuli, Jymy's successor, endured for more than a year, appearing in 1976-77.

20 hours ago, ug18 said:

http://www.sci.fi/~karielk/jymy.htm

Jymy magazine, published in 1973-75, presented Finnish readers with the best American underground comics, such as the works of Robert Crumb and Gilbert Shelton. Huuli, Jymy's successor, endured for more than a year, appearing in 1976-77.

Guess the pix were too intense for the forum as I just got a stern rebuke from management about the JYMY mags. Oh well.....

21 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

KAYO Books provided some undergrounds after Haight-Ashbury failed me.  As near as I can tell, all bit the Yellow Dog are 1st printings:

image.jpg

Nice love me some Skull! I still need a nice 1 and 3 to complete my Skull run, Was the Skull 1 pricey?

Skull # 2.jpg

Skull # 4.jpg

Skull # 5.jpg

Skull # 6a.jpg