• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,303 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I should also say that this book was created on the 2600 block of Frederick St about 5 blocks away from my spot. :peace:

Was not aware you were in SF! Or is there also a Frederick St. in Milwaukee?

On 11/20/2021 at 11:29 AM, jas1vans said:

20211120_092402.jpg

A high grade copy has been on my want list for a long time given it's subject matter and Midwestness. I imagine this book is tough to find... I've only seen it a few times in the wild and never a copy I was happy with. Great book :shy:

On 12/1/2021 at 3:43 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Was not aware you were in SF! Or is there also a Frederick St. in Milwaukee?

Yeah Milwaukee. This is a Milwaukee.book. I've never been to San Francisco! :eek: wife has not me 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

On 11/30/2021 at 9:35 AM, felixthecat said:

This completes my high grade CGC Freak Brothers set. 

2021-11-30-0001.jpg

Congratulations Dylan! I know you've been working on this set for several years. 

This book is still on my want list .... as it is no doubt on many Freaks list too. Good work knocking it out. A 9.4 qualifies as investment grade and head shop fresh IMO haha! I'll have to check out your registry set and see the gloriousness. :golfclap:

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

On 12/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I keep seeing commercials for a new Freak Bro show 🎶‼️‼️On TV

I've watched em all a few times. Tubi is a free app for Roku etc. 

🎵 roll another j and forget the day

Me and my brothers gettin hiiigh Freak Brothers 🎵

On 12/2/2021 at 6:51 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

A high grade copy has been on my want list for a long time given it's subject matter and Midwestness. I imagine this book is tough to find... I've only seen it a few times in the wild and never a copy I was happy with. Great book :shy:

I wouldn't say it was that tough. I found it and didn't even know that I was looking for it!

On 12/2/2021 at 4:42 PM, jas1vans said:

I wouldn't say it was that tough. I found it and didn't even know that I was looking for it!

Haha!

For undergrounds (and frankly, a lot of indies and otherwise obscure Bronze-Modern stuff), the measure of "toughness" isn't necessarily whether you can find one book you weren't looking for. It's whether you can find one book you are looking for -- or a book you weren't looking for twice.

A couple pickups at ECCC today.  The Weird Fantasies has a Corben story and is one of the most blatant EC tribute covers ever... and the undergrounds didn't lack for EC tributes.  The Deadbone is a huge hardcover that doesn't even completely fit on my scanner that I'm crazy happy to have gotten at the price:

Deadbone.jpg

Weird Fantasies.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 10:07 AM, Morganmi said:

Found a store near me with a decent selection of Undergrounds. Didn't see much High grade but need to return when I have more time to Sift through all the boxes. Here's a couple readers I picked up. :applause:

Artistic Comics #1.jpg

Fantagor #1.jpg

Death Rattle #3.jpg

Just because I like chiming in with this sort of information...

• Artistic Comics went to a fairly surprising four printings. That's a first printing copy you've got there, with the 75 cent cover price. Those are probably in the highest demand, although in my experience, the 3rd print ($2.50 cover price) shows up the least often.
  • Fantagor #1 also went to four printings, technically, although the 2nd through 4th are believed to be indistinguishable, so the best I can say is that you've got a "Not First Printing". Because of that, these aren't usually too hard to find, but frankly, this is always a great book.
  • There's only the one printing of Death Rattle v1 #3. I guess someone decided it was worth more than the 50 cent cover price and so gifted it that 75 cent pink sticker!

On 12/10/2021 at 5:27 PM, Qalyar said:

Just because I like chiming in with this sort of information...

• Artistic Comics went to a fairly surprising four printings. That's a first printing copy you've got there, with the 75 cent cover price. Those are probably in the highest demand, although in my experience, the 3rd print ($2.50 cover price) shows up the least often.
  • Fantagor #1 also went to four printings, technically, although the 2nd through 4th are believed to be indistinguishable, so the best I can say is that you've got a "Not First Printing". Because of that, these aren't usually too hard to find, but frankly, this is always a great book.
  • There's only the one printing of Death Rattle v1 #3. I guess someone decided it was worth more than the 50 cent cover price and so gifted it that 75 cent pink sticker!

Great info here. I bought them just because I didn't have them and knew they were Corben and Crumb classics so hard to go wrong on the reading front. Good to know the vintage of them all though as I continue searching. That Death Rattle 3 threw me also as I did recall they were mostly if not all only printed once. The sticker was placed so perfectly on it I thought I might have found an unknown printing at first. lol

On 12/10/2021 at 3:32 PM, Morganmi said:

Great info here. I bought them just because I didn't have them and knew they were Corben and Crumb classics so hard to go wrong on the reading front. Good to know the vintage of them all though as I continue searching. That Death Rattle 3 threw me also as I did recall they were mostly if not all only printed once. The sticker was placed so perfectly on it I thought I might have found an unknown printing at first. lol

I'm pretty sure it's an "official" sticker, at least... a lot of undergrounds have those round stickers with a distinctive font to bump the price, although I see them more on Print Mint books. 

On 12/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, Morganmi said:

I won't lie, I spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out when they did a 75 cent reprint... Whoever put that sticker on, 10/10 stickering job.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:38 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm pretty sure it's an "official" sticker, at least... a lot of undergrounds have those round stickers with a distinctive font to bump the price, although I see them more on Print Mint books. 

Yea for sure I could see kitchen sink just slap a sticker on there if they got an order for them a couple years later and they still had stock of the old ones. 

Recently came across a family member's collection of underground comix and been having a blast looking into the history of the whole scene! This thread has been very helpful.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this particular edition of the "It Ain't Me Babe" comic? I've looked all over, including a handy article on comixjoint, and all I can find is information on the 1st printing (blue/purple) and 2nd-3rd printings (both identical, blue/green). Nothing on this particular coloration. Any experts out there?

ItAintMeBabe.jpg