• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Weight lifting #s

192 posts in this topic

At 145 my best bench was 305

So, apparently I'm the only one here who has never benched 300. Interesting.

No the most I've ever done was 240, but I haven't maxed since '05 on a flat bench. I'm not a big fan of max lifts since I'm more into bodybuilding than power lifting. The only reason I was even still messing around with it on '05 was because the free weight room at college was absolute mess and very limited in what I could do. Flat barbell bench press is also not one of my favorite chest building exercises. There was a time where I virtually stopped doing it,as my shoulder's were feeling more of it than my pecs. Since my body has evolved I've been feeling it more and more in my chest and have thrown it back into my workouts. However, I'll only lead off chest day with it once, or possibly twice a month. Asking how much you flat bench has become cliche. I get a lot of mess at the gym for the weight I throw around in comparison to my muscle mass, but I'd rather have large muscles than worry about how much weight I'm actually using.

As far as the original post, I am wondering exactly what the guy is claiming. Someone holding a choke for 5 minutes has caused him injuries. And now these injuries prevent him from benching over 135 pounds?

My junior year I accidentally speared the other team's RB with my helmet, and suffered a neck injury. At the time, the coaches called the neck injury a stinger. I had x-rays of the cervical spine which were negative, but I sat out about a week. When I returned to practice, I continued to feel tingling in my left arm and loss of strength in my left arm. After one practice, we went to the weightroom and that session was horrifying.

I was never strong like some of you board members, but at one point in HS, I was able to bench about 250. When I tried to lift 135 as a warm up weight, the bar fell like a bag of rocks on my left side. Further diagnostic exams including an MRI were also negative. While my pushing strength disappeared on my left side, I lost no pulling strength and I continued to play. But I felt loss of pushing strength for sure. The trainers made me work with dumbells, and I was back to normal at the end of the season. For two months after the initial injury, though, I definitely lost some strength.

Ronnie Coleman is a BEAST.

But Dexter Jackson is my favorite from when I followed competitive bodybuilding. I also liked Flex Wheeler and Shawn Ray.

I always preferred symmetry.

And I never did the juice. Over the counter at vitamin shop only.

I used to work out at the same time as Ronnie right after he became a pro. Just being in the same room with him added 20 lbs to every one of your lifts.

I ran into Shawn Ray at the Nationals about 4 years ago. Had he not been behind a table I would not have recognized him. He was wearing a long sleeve denim shirt and jeans and look like a normal guy. If someone had told me he was a serious Olympia contender at one time I would have laughed in their face. He just looked like some dude on the street.

I know, that's the most fun part of seeing these guys in professional, semi-professional bodybuilding. When the juice goes away, so does the size. There are some guys at the hardcore gym I work out at that you can't recognize from time to time because sometimes they are 260-280lb monsters, and then they walk in 7-8 months down the line and they are barely 220lb. Hmmmmm. It's more than a little funny.

Blob:

I have not read the 17 pages but I think I can give you an opinion as someone who used to work with elite athletes (I am not one).

In the 80's maybe 1 out of 1000 males 20-30 could bench double their body weight. The lighter athletes are slightly overrepresented. ~215% of their body weight maybe 1 in 2000. Most of these guys were on roids, but there is an occassional natural freak of nature.

Today, I estimate there are twice as many capable of benching 2X body weight. Again, most are on roids or HGH. If you go into the weight room of almost any college FB team you'll find several who can bench 2X body weight.

So these guys are freakishly strong but not exactly rare. You should also recognize that benching is as much a skill as it is strength and a good bench doesn't necessarily mean strength in another athletic movement/skill.

You cannot get a true picture of the % of the population because not everyone capable enters a meet with recorded lifts.

Many heavy benchers ultimately injure their shoulder or tear their pec off their humerus. Usually spells the end of heavy benching.

I have a case where the guy claiming he was injured says he (5' 10", 210 pounds) used to bench 455 and now can only bench 135, used to be able to sitting shoulder press 315.

For those of you who are big into lifting, where in the pantheon of freakishness is a 210 pounder benching 455? I'm assuming the guy (who was previously incarcerated) didn't have access to steroids, HGH, etc....Is this something you might see from an NFL player? Is that ratio not big enough for me to describe him as a "near olympic" calibre weight lifter) (I see the bench record is now over 1000 pounds...maybe that would be pushing it)... without getting into a lot of details here I'm looking at a way to describe to the judge (to whom these numbers likely mean nothing) just how frigging strong this guy claimed to be at the time (to undercut his claim about how the injury occurred) and perhaps a source to cite to.

Many heavy benchers ultimately injure their shoulder or tear their pec off their humerus. Usually spells the end of heavy benching.

Your exactly right here. Anyone whos been around competitive powerlifting knows how the story always ends in most cases. Torn pecs. Torn biceps. Etc, etc. The weights always win out in the end no matter how much Propinate or HgH or growth hormone your taking. I remember a meet many, many years ago at Sayer Park in Illinois. A guy was attempting a 870 deadlift. I dont know if he hadnt chalked his hands enought or what. Halfway up the lift ( and he was hitching ) the whole palm of his hand peeled off like a grape skin. It wasnt a pleasant site. No matter how strong the muscles gets from the drugs, other parts of the body just dont catch up as fast, and something has got to go. 2c

DRX

Your exactly right here. Anyone whos been around competitive powerlifting knows how the story always ends in most cases. Torn pecs. Torn biceps. Etc, etc. The weights always win out in the end no matter how much Propinate or HgH or growth hormone your taking. I remember a meet many, many years ago at Sayer Park in Illinois. A guy was attempting a 870 deadlift. I dont know if he hadnt chalked his hands enought or what. Halfway up the lift ( and he was hitching ) the whole palm of his hand peeled off like a grape skin. It wasnt a pleasant site. No matter how strong the muscles gets from the drugs, other parts of the body just dont catch up as fast, and something has got to go. 2c

DRX

Sounds like an old Phil Hartman bit. :o

DRX

Are you from the chicago area? By any chance do you remember Hammerz Gym, Ernie Frantz"s Gym, or Mekulys on south Halsted. These were all power lifting madhouses that were shunned by most normal people. Not the kind of places the average person went for a workout, ever! lol

DRX

DRX

Are you from the chicago area? By any chance do you remember Hammerz Gym, Ernie Frantz"s Gym, or Mekulys on south Halsted. These were all power lifting madhouses that were shunned by most normal people. Not the kind of places the average person went for a workout, ever! lol

DRX

Can't say I've heard of them, but never in weight lifting circles at all....

DRX

DRX

Can't say I've heard of them, but never in weight lifting circles at all....

Im sure your much better off for it too! Comics is a much healthier and safer pastime, ..... take it from me. lol

DRX

Lots of Chicagoans here. You guys heard of USA Gym in Bridgeview? It's Chuck Sanow's Gym. USA and Quads out in Lansing are about the only two "hardcore" Gyms I know of left in the area. Ernie owns a Powerhouse now on 95th and Roberts Road. Ed Coan trains out of quads.

Lots of Chicagoans here. You guys heard of USA Gym in Bridgeview? It's Chuck Sanow's Gym. USA and Quads out in Lansing are about the only two "hardcore" Gyms I know of left in the area. Ernie owns a Powerhouse now on 95th and Roberts Road. Ed Coan trains out of quads.

Quads is about the only place down here left, your right. A friend of mine Scott Craig from chicago heights still trains at Quads with Coan and a few others that are still left in this area. Most of these guys are getting old and dont train like that anymore. A few of them still lift at the rec center in Chicago Heights. Once in awhile Dennis Reed still shows up there. One of the nicest guys in the sport. Hes probably around 62 or a even little older but still squats over 600. In his heyday he was squatting 930. He even went to Switzerland for a big meet and was deliberatley screwed out of a world record when it was found the bar was loaded with usa plates instead of kilos if my memory serves me correct. Man, that was a long time ago.

DRX

DRX

I was speaking with Andrew and saying how I never got into the Max lift, powerlift aspect. I always stuck with bodybuilding. I prefer aesthetics to just power. I trained heavy legs alot, and had a hefty squat. But never went over board. Symmetry was always my game.

And when muscles let go it is DISGUSTING!

DRX

I was speaking with Andrew and saying how I never got into the Max lift, powerlift aspect. I always stuck with bodybuilding. I prefer aesthetics to just power. I trained heavy legs alot, and had a hefty squat. But never went over board. Symmetry was always my game.

And when muscles let go it is DISGUSTING!

Yes it isnt a pretty site. Ive seen some horrific injuries. Youll see them when you hang around powerlifting gyms and contests. A very close friend of mine who was a religious competitor in the 240lb class ripped his bicep and it rolled up his arm like a rubber band. We went to River Forest Illinois i believe to talk to the same doctor that fixed Jim McMahons ( quarterback from the super-bowl bears ) rotator cup. He said he could fix it but he had to lay off the lifting for about 6 months. They cut his bi-cep right down the middle like an open taco. Stretched it back down and reattached it with wire sutchurs. A couple of weeks out of surgery he starts to say it feels pretty good and starts fu-king around with some light weights. Of course the doctor didnt know what he was talking about. He started pushing it, and pushing it and it felt great tilll it snapped again. This time he decided not to fix it. Said it looked ok. I will still never figure how this guy could still bench 510 with a blown bicep. Go figure. Its still like that to this day 20 years later. A great conversation piece I guess.

DRX

So, I was at the gym today talking to someone I went to high school, and what do you think one the first questions he asked me was? "What is you bench up to now?" :tonofbricks:

The biggest NOOB question in the world...

I usually say something stupid like 150 lbs.

Oh and since I said the other night was my first day back. I did a full-circuit, 1 exercise per bodypart. Chest is sore, and forearm has some strain.

Going back after too long is painful.

Ever watch Ninja Warrior? The guys who make it to the finals on that show are real studs.

Man, I LOVE Ninja Warrior. That's what actually inspired me to work out the way I do. I've fantasized about the idea of making an audition tape for the heck of it, even though I'd never make it through.

Here's another goal of mine:

And I'd like to be able to hold the "human flag" position for at least a few seconds:

Can't do either right now, but I'm working on it.

[/quote

Ninja Warrior, AWESOME show!

There was a guy on there that would routinely reach the finals, a fisherman Nagano something or other. I remember that guy doing pull ups and flags on the mast of his boat