• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink results....holy cr@p!

375 posts in this topic

Can't believe the Fight Comics #34 CGC 9.0 went for $1,800. :o

I'm happy with the result :whistle:

Nice job indeed :applause:

I wonder what my Fight # 35 9.4 would bring? hm

Buck, weren't you asking considerably less for the book when you offered it before on the boards?

Someone scored a GL#1 at $6k pre-juice and shipping. 66% guide on a 6.0. I was $100 below but who knows how high they would have gone. (shrug)

What juice?

I thought Clink got 10% BP, no?

(Too many auctions all at once!)

No juice. CL takes 10% of the hammer price and the seller gets 90%.

Someone scored a GL#1 at $6k pre-juice and shipping. 66% guide on a 6.0. I was $100 below but who knows how high they would have gone. (shrug)

What juice?

I thought Clink got 10% BP, no?

(Too many auctions all at once!)

No juice. CL takes 10% of the hammer price and the seller gets 90%.

NBD. I'm sure I still would have lost if I'd gone to $6200. Plenty of time to save for a better copy. Not like I didn't buy enough already.

what Im seeing in these recent auctions, coupled with the economic times is not so good. What is selling strongly is the ultra HG copies and for ridiculous numbers while the rest flounders. We see this more and more of late. This sure feels like froth. And must only represent a subset of the subset of HG collectors who will pay whatever it takes for that BEST copy thats a .2 increment above their existing copy. But these sales make headlines and WOW threads and all looks rosy in the market.

The RM are selling huge. Keys in HG are selling bigtime. But nearly everything else is soft. There are numerous factors at work as Buttock stated. We cannot and will not know exactly how this will play out. But, seeing the bargains on nice books is looking to me like a warning sign. And if the only strong buying is on 9.8 top of census "freak" copies (22K for Vision??) and AF15s??? And nearly everything else is flat or going for bargains? yikes.

I always say our strength is our thinness as a hobby. That also works as a detriment. A few buyers take a powder and prices start routinely failing to reach their former levels.

Then again, its always been cyclical. Books heat up and cool off. And these dammn auctions accellerate prices up AND down -- confounding everyone's expectations.

As the great Curly Howard stated when asked to predict the future. "We shall see.. we shall see.?

Not being well versed on comics I will defer to your theory. It's as good as anything I've read.

In the equity markets, near a top, the blue chips often hold up and quite often surge to new highs even as the bulk of the issues begin to wilt. The concentration of interest becomes narrower and narrower allowing for the media to focus on the new highs in the blue chips and creates the illusion that the market remains healthy. Once the "star performers" begin to decline a more rapid decline ensues.

I believe that GPA needs permission in order to utilize the sales data, because they are charging for the service. For reasons unknown, comiclink does not allow GPA to record the sales data. For a minute GPA was recording their sales, but those were quickly removed. I have made some aggressive purchases on comiclink in the past that I wouldn't mind having reflected on GPA, but alas, I do not see this changing any time soon (if ever).

Do a search in general. George can use the figures but wants to be certain the sales went through and only C-link can provide that for consignment. He's gone back and forth about recording auction results. Can't recall the reasoning other than it didn't quite make sense to me.

what Im seeing in these recent auctions, coupled with the economic times is not so good. What is selling strongly is the ultra HG copies and for ridiculous numbers while the rest flounders.

Actually, even the ultra-HG stuff is starting to hurt. Whoever bought all the ultra-HG ducks on Heritage in Nov 2006 took a bath of epic proportions when selling them on CL just now. Granted, they overpaid back then, and I continue to think that anyone who sells Ducks on CL is making a big mistake, but even factoring those things in, prices were pretty weak.

And no, unfortunately I wasn't the winner of any of them because I had the times all mixed up.

Not much time left and a classic cover More Fun #58 in 9.0 is sitting well below guide price. :popcorn:

Is that the copy that just sold on Ebay a while back?

BTW, I thought the Flash #129 would have done better. I guess with a few of them arriving on the scene in the last year that will happen.

R.

The flood of ultra-HG #129s that has hit the market has been astounding. I figured the record price when I sold my copy back in Nov 2006 would draw a few out of the woodworks, but I've been amazed by how many nice copies there are and how many have have been put up for sale recently. It's like the ASM #33 of Flash! :P

BTW, I thought the Flash #129 would have done better. I guess with a few of them arriving on the scene in the last year that will happen.

R.

That is a book that I will take a bath on. Of course you shouldn't buy silver age when it is the sole highest graded. In just two years time it has gone from just 2 9.4s to 3-9.6 and 5-9.4s. That will seriously depress the value of a book. I like the idea of multiple windows. I will give that a try the next time.

Jack, that was your copy that sold?

I believe that GPA needs permission in order to utilize the sales data, because they are charging for the service. For reasons unknown, comiclink does not allow GPA to record the sales data. For a minute GPA was recording their sales, but those were quickly removed. I have made some aggressive purchases on comiclink in the past that I wouldn't mind having reflected on GPA, but alas, I do not see this changing any time soon (if ever).

Do a search in general. George can use the figures but wants to be certain the sales went through and only C-link can provide that for consignment. He's gone back and forth about recording auction results. Can't recall the reasoning other than it didn't quite make sense to me.

I'm pretty sure GPA got some sort of nasty cease-and-desist letter from Clink once they started trying to incorporate the auction results.

Tim:

What do you think about the Ducks in this auction? Of course, you and others have always said that CLink is not the place for Duck books. I threw in a thrill bid that ended up winning tonight. All the Ducks I saw seemed to end really weak. Even the #9 7.5 went for 15-20% less than GPA from 2007.

All Star # 5 in 9.0 sold for $2,900 (it Guides for $5355 in 9.0, and in 9.2 for $7650).

:o :o

I was the high bidder at $2,800, and mine was simply a "tracking" bid. :o

Never thought it would be that close.

Well, based upon your confession, it sounds like you shilled the book up to the final selling price since your bid was not a true intention to buy. :baiting:

Actually, without your shill bid, the book might have sold at a market value substantially lower than this $2,900 final price, assuming the increments are $100 at this level. :o:o

All Star # 5 in 9.0 sold for $2,900 (it Guides for $5355 in 9.0, and in 9.2 for $7650).

Well, based upon your confession, it sounds like you shilled the book up to the final selling price since your bid was not a true intention to buy. :baiting:

Actually, without your shill bid, the book might have sold at a market value substantially lower than this $2,900 final price, assuming the increments are $100 at this level. :o:o

I spoke to the owner of the All Stars. Guy was pretty sad they went so cheap.

I spoke to the owner of the All Stars. Guy was pretty sad they went so cheap.

I was asleep when they went off :cry:

This was the first time I've ever watched a CL auction closely. I am shocked at how low the Platinum and GA prices, at least for the books I watched, realized. While the NY World's Fair 1940 is not, by any sense, a hot book, the Church copy (although only CGC 5.5) went barely over guide. And the New Comics #1 CGC 9.4 went for half what it should have obtained. :screwy:

Not much time left and a classic cover More Fun #58 in 9.0 is sitting well below guide price. :popcorn:

Can you believe that it sold for $4,900! :screwy:

I paid $4,700 2.5 years ago for the CGC 8.5 Nova Scotia copy, and that - I thought - was cheap since it was from a Mastro auction.

Tim:

What do you think about the Ducks in this auction? Of course, you and others have always said that CLink is not the place for Duck books. I threw in a thrill bid that ended up winning tonight. All the Ducks I saw seemed to end really weak. Even the #9 7.5 went for 15-20% less than GPA from 2007.

My opinion is that Ducks are collapsing. It's not a complete apples to apples comparison because these got sold on Clink, which (again) I will say is not a good place to sell Ducks, but I think even if they sold on Heritage, prices would be below where they were 1-2 years ago.

Perhaps there was also some impact from the fact that well over $100K was spent on WDCSs in the last Heritage auction, but when you factor in the economy, the fact that many of the big buyers in recent years were from Europe, and the now weaker Euro, the fundamentals would seem to support that a correction was due.

Ad 40 for $6050

AA 16 2.5 GLOD $8895

AA 16 2.0 PLOD $9900

good deal on the Adventure I think...

These prices aren't actually that bad from my point of view, especially with the AA books.

I strongly doubt that SA GLOD and PLOD books would be able to sell so close to full condition guide prices. If I am not mistaken, even that $6K is over guide for an Adventure #40 in only a 1.5 grade. hm