• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*#$@&% this market!

43 posts in this topic

Just got shut out again on all my bids at Mastronet!!!!! Will all you GA collecting, long in the tooth, baby boomers follow the predictions of all those pundits and retire already, lose interest in collecting, and sell off all of your high grade gold because "you can't take it with you"!!!!! Sheesh. 893frustrated.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Just got shut out again on all my bids at Mastronet!!!!! Will all you GA collecting, long in the tooth, baby boomers follow the predictions of all those pundits and retire already, lose interest in collecting, and sell off all of your high grade gold because "you can't take it with you"!!!!! Sheesh. 893frustrated.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Are you saying you're not a baby boomer and you collect Golden Age books!?! How can that be? You don't exist! That's what the market pundits say and they're always right! Just ask them...

Wait a second- I'm 31 and I buy Golden Age books too. I must not exist either 893whatthe.gif

I'm 33 myself , love the GA, and couldn't tell ya a damn thing about Silver and Bronze. Neither one gets me excited and gives me that collecting "rush". sleeping.gif I guess that makes me a leper.

No, it doesn't make you a leper. It does prove that you don't exist though!

Maybe you're not aware but one of the founding tenets of being a great and powerful market pundit is an assumption that no one except old greybeards dying off by the hundreds now collects Golden Age (or even Silver Age!) books. Part of that I'd guess stems from the fact that to actually BE an "all-knowing market pundit" you, yourself have to solely focus on collecting Bronze Age and early Modern Age Marvels. Another part of it is an assumption that ONLY books that were bought off of the newsstand can possibly be of interest and that nostalgia is the ONLY factor people take into account when buying comics.

So, to repeat, you don't exist! So, stop pretending you do and go out and buy 406 copies of X-Men 137.

What's an X-Men? confused-smiley-013.gif

For the answer to that question, you must jump ahead from the Golden Age a few years past the Atom Age to the early Silver Age. Pull up a chair and read Batman 165. It seems that in that story the DA has mutated genes that are pushing him forward on the evolutionary scale. He is a mutant!! Some scientists zap him with scientific stuff that accelerates the evolutionary process, mutating him further and giving him eXtra abilities that regular humans don't have. Batman and Robin must then stop the rampaging mutant who is losing his humanity.

See, the X is for eXtra.

Clever, huh?

Those silver age DC writers sure were creative.

(Post 497)

I've just sat down and done the math on this so that we can get an accurate number on the Golden Age collectors on the board that don't exist. For simplicity's sake, I put the "age when you started reading comics" at 10 and pegged Action#1 as the "beginning" of the Golden Age. Working with those numbers, it's plain to see that once one applies "Market pundit" logic to the problem, it's obvious there can't be any Golden Age collectors under the age of about 76.

So, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but no one posting in this thread could possibly exist!

Pov, as a consolation, you can still collect Silver Age! The rest of us can't. We're stuck hoarding Byrne X-Men and Miller Daredevils.

Have I made my point yet? insane.gifgrin.gifmakepoint.gif