• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isn't it such a waste when

35 posts in this topic

your LCS puts a nice sharp 35-40 year old comic in the regular bins with a single flimsy backing board and over the subsequent weeks you see it getting banged around and getting in worse condition? my LCS finally put some new stuff out, including some nice sharp (not 9.6 or 9.8, but nice) late 12 centers, 15 centers, 20 centers, but they priced them at more than i would pay, so i passed (nothing outrageous, but like guide). i want to beg them to double board them or something...a bunch of them are priced at like $40, so that wouldn't be too ridiculous..I can see spine ticks forming.....

your LCS puts a nice sharp 35-40 year old comic in the regular bins with a single flimsy backing board and over the subsequent weeks you see it getting banged around and getting in worse condition? my LCS finally put some new stuff out, including some nice sharp (not 9.6 or 9.8, but nice) late 12 centers, 15 centers, 20 centers, but they priced them at more than i would pay, so i passed (nothing outrageous, but like guide). i want to beg them to double board them or something...a bunch of them are priced at like $40, so that wouldn't be too ridiculous..I can see spine ticks forming.....
You should create a rescue service. Notify equally concerned persons and then someone (feeling a momentary pang of concern) could send you immediate money into an account that you could go and liberate the book(s) and send them to a foster collector where the book(s) would be treated with care.

People For The Ethical Treatment of Comic Books

I wanted it to spell out PATHETIC but didn't want to spend too much time on it. :gossip:

12c, 15c and 20c books in HG and you passed on them? :eek:

They were probably 8.0 "high grade" and not 9.2 high grade.

:makepoint:

12c, 15c and 20c books in HG and you passed on them? :eek:

They were probably 8.0 "high grade" and not 9.2 high grade.

:makepoint:

My bad, I just assumed when he said HG he was reffering to books in the 9.0 + range since 8.0s are considered HG :shy:

Could be worse. One of my LCS over grades and then he adds the US exchange rate to the BV of the comic. It makes no sense, he will take a book add the exchange rate and then there is the taxes. For example a comic that has a BV of $100 is now $130 + taxes = $146.90 canadian (using 30% as the exchange rate). Thats not even mentioning that the book is over graded in the first place and probably not even worth $100. Then he will complain that his back issues don't sell doh!

It would take an awfully long post to fully illustrate the cost breakdown to bag, board, price and display back issues for sale through your local comic shop. Suffice to say some books are worth special treatment and some are considered just back-issues. Each store has to establish its own break even point. We have bins built to accommodate nicer back issues but we just bag and board those books. There are comics in there that are as much as $100. We also have books that are in mylar behind the counter or in the back room so that we can keep a closer eye on their handling. Here is our formula for determining what goes in mylar...

If it is pre 1980 and nm (9.4) or better and worth more than $25 in guide, or vf (8.0) or better and worth more than $50.

Pre 1968 fn (6.0) or better worth more than $50.

Pre-1960 in any grade worth more than $25.

Obviously there are some exceptions for particularly hot books or books that we have in larger quantities. And inventory levels and space limitations always determine what goes where. But if I can get it out on the floor and folks can get their hands on it it has a much better chance of selling. If a few things get dinged that is a cost of selling more books. I can tell you from personal experience that books in boxes with lids on them sell at a much slower rate than books in plain sight and handleable by customers in store.

My bad, I just assumed when he said HG he was reffering to books in the 9.0 + range since 8.0s are considered HG

no, these were 9.2 - 9.4 when he put them in the box and they're down to 8.0 - 8.5 now, so the prices on them are now really off. he probably had them priced at about 9.0.

bedrock - i was thinking that double or triple boarding the comics would suffice to protect them. i wasn't objecting so much to them being out in the open to get pawed over, although this shop usually doesn't do that with $40 books. i guess they do now. had $ not been as tight when they first went into the box i might have gone for them, perhaps buying several and getting some knocked off, because they were pretty sweet books...but at the sticker prices on them now, in their current state 2-3 weeks later, they aren't as sweet. heck, i get excited when i see raw 12 centers in the 9.2 - 9.4 range, i just don't see it so much anymore.

Could be worse. One of my LCS over grades and then he adds the US exchange rate to the BV of the comic. It makes no sense, he will take a book add the exchange rate and then there is the taxes. For example a comic that has a BV of $100 is now $130 + taxes = $146.90 canadian (using 30% as the exchange rate). Thats not even mentioning that the book is over graded in the first place and probably not even worth $100. Then he will complain that his back issues don't sell doh!

well, factoring in the exchange rate isn't so ourageous, though i bet he wasn't repricing all his books when the u.s. dollar was worth less than the canadian dollar.

well, factoring in the exchange rate isn't so ourageous, though i bet he wasn't repricing all his books when the u.s. dollar was worth less than the canadian dollar.

Depends on whether he is buying in US or Canadian dollars.

bedrock - i was thinking that double or triple boarding the comics would suffice to protect them. i wasn't objecting so much to them being out in the open to get pawed over, although this shop usually doesn't do that with $40 books. i guess they do now. had $ not been as tight when they first went into the box i might have gone for them, perhaps buying several and getting some knocked off, because they were pretty sweet books...but at the sticker prices on them now, in their current state 2-3 weeks later, they aren't as sweet. heck, i get excited when i see raw 12 centers in the 9.2 - 9.4 range, i just don't see it so much anymore.

Double and triple boarding on more expensive back issues is really a very good idea. (thumbs u

:gossip: you would happen to be talking about Cosmic Odyssey would you

I've been to a few shops that probably have some nice stuff, but they have the books in bags with NO backing boards, and they are stuffed so tightly in long boxes that you can't look at anything without damaging them.

Can't flip through them, and if you pull out a handful to give slack, you thumbdent the pile you took out. Boxes everywhere. On tables 3 boxes high. One match and the place goes up before you could get to the door.

I sure miss shops that have a lot of back issues, but I don't like going through them if I get the feeling I'm damaging them.