• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isn't it such a waste when

35 posts in this topic

No, these were 9.2 - 9.4 when he put them in the box and they're down to 8.0 - 8.5 now, so the prices on them are now really off. he probably had them priced at about 9.0.

So, he had 12 & 15 cent 9.2s & 9.4s, priced at 9.0s, but it was more than you wanted to pay? :o

Am I understanding this right? 'Cause if I am, I want his phone number! :insane:

well, factoring in the exchange rate isn't so ourageous, though i bet he wasn't repricing all his books when the u.s. dollar was worth less than the canadian dollar.

that exchange rate lasted about 24 hours :)

So, he had 12 & 15 cent 9.2s & 9.4s, priced at 9.0s, but it was more than you wanted to pay?

It's still hard for me to wrap my brain about these sorts of books being $25 - $60 books even in really nice shape. I still think in terms of early 90's pricing, at least when I'm buying. When I'm selling I don't take those prices that seriously either. I think they're highly influenced in OPG by CGC sales and the Harley Yees of the world. These weren't Spiderman or X-men, think second or third tier marvel titles (DD, etc.), although some of the 15 and 20 centers were Avengers.

He is paying nickle and dimes on the dollar(Canadian) from walk in customers. He don't buy any back issues except those that are brought directly into his shop. Its too bad because he got a beautiful shop with tons of great back issues (probably because they never sell haha).

Could be worse. One of my LCS over grades and then he adds the US exchange rate to the BV of the comic. It makes no sense, he will take a book add the exchange rate and then there is the taxes. For example a comic that has a BV of $100 is now $130 + taxes = $146.90 canadian (using 30% as the exchange rate). Thats not even mentioning that the book is over graded in the first place and probably not even worth $100. Then he will complain that his back issues don't sell doh!

well, factoring in the exchange rate isn't so ourageous, though i bet he wasn't repricing all his books when the u.s. dollar was worth less than the canadian dollar.

Depends on whether he is buying in US or Canadian dollars.

Re: isn't it such a waste when...

People get some guy named Stan Lee to scribble on the covers of their nice comic books... :baiting:

:roflmao:

Hey, that's not nice (tsk)

What do you guys have against Stanley anyways lol

The man needs to eat :tonofbricks:

Re: isn't it such a waste when...

People get some guy named Stan Lee to scribble on the covers of their nice comic books... :baiting:

:roflmao:

Hey, that's not nice (tsk)

What do you guys have against Stanley anyways lol

The man needs to eat :tonofbricks:

It wouldn't be so bad if the man would use a small felt tip pen once in a while instead of a Kindergarten marker that blots out the whole cover.

bedrock - i was thinking that double or triple boarding the comics would suffice to protect them. i wasn't objecting so much to them being out in the open to get pawed over, although this shop usually doesn't do that with $40 books. i guess they do now. had $ not been as tight when they first went into the box i might have gone for them, perhaps buying several and getting some knocked off, because they were pretty sweet books...but at the sticker prices on them now, in their current state 2-3 weeks later, they aren't as sweet. heck, i get excited when i see raw 12 centers in the 9.2 - 9.4 range, i just don't see it so much anymore.

Double and triple boarding on more expensive back issues is really a very good idea. (thumbs u

Try some fullbacks, noob.

bedrock - i was thinking that double or triple boarding the comics would suffice to protect them. i wasn't objecting so much to them being out in the open to get pawed over, although this shop usually doesn't do that with $40 books. i guess they do now. had $ not been as tight when they first went into the box i might have gone for them, perhaps buying several and getting some knocked off, because they were pretty sweet books...but at the sticker prices on them now, in their current state 2-3 weeks later, they aren't as sweet. heck, i get excited when i see raw 12 centers in the 9.2 - 9.4 range, i just don't see it so much anymore.

Double and triple boarding on more expensive back issues is really a very good idea. (thumbs u

I run a more pass oriented offense (thumbs u

I run a more pass oriented offense (thumbs u

:signfunny:

At least your LCS puts boards in them. By the early 2000's there was only one left in my area. Only wall books had boards on them. EVERYTHING else was in bags with no boards. Multiple copies of ASM 300 were in the ASM box like that. I watched kids come in and if there were 9.0+ before they went into the box they went straight to 7.5's. I haven't bother to go back since. I know I won't find any decent back issues and I can get TPB's cheaper online.

your LCS puts a nice sharp 35-40 year old comic in the regular bins with a single flimsy backing board and over the subsequent weeks you see it getting banged around and getting in worse condition? my LCS finally put some new stuff out, including some nice sharp (not 9.6 or 9.8, but nice) late 12 centers, 15 centers, 20 centers, but they priced them at more than i would pay, so i passed (nothing outrageous, but like guide). i want to beg them to double board them or something...a bunch of them are priced at like $40, so that wouldn't be too ridiculous..I can see spine ticks forming.....

Just offer him $5 for it before it gets trashed.

He'll likely take you up on it. If you're a good, regular customer.