• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chuck!

27 posts in this topic

"So while I have purchased nearly a million back issue Marvel and DC comics over the past 18 months, I also made a point of buying about 500,000 comics from Independent and Small Press publishers. In addition, I obtained approximately 100,000 Golden Age (1938-1955), Silver Age (1956-1975), and Bronze Age (1976-1982) comics from other comics dealers, and incorporated those rare older comics into our website listings."

100,000 1938-1982 comics in 18 months actually doesn't seem like all that much for him. I wonder if he's running out of money?

"My final item for today is another reminder that the 2009 OVERSTREET COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE will be released on Wednesday. I'm more used to the Overstreet being released sometime in April, but this year they moved things ahead a little. The annual price increases on most comics in a typical Overstreet are usually only about 5%, which is really not that big of a deal. There are always a few instances, however, where Bob notices that a given title has seen extra demand over the previous year, and bumps the prices upward by 15%-20%. Because the dealers that we purchase from wholesale use the Overstreet for setting the prices that they charge us, we have no choice but to match prices in those instances where Bob Overstreet has made significant changes. 'Nuff said."

Yeah right, when some dealer is selling him 3 van loads of comics they're really whipping out the overstreet to price them all out!

on the other hand, granted he has dozens of employees and this is how he makes his living, but kudos to him for being able to organize all of this stuff. 2 months ago i went through my 30-40 boxes just to get my spideys all in one place and in order and all I've accomplished is organizing about half a long box of issues from 100 - 199 with another half a long box of issues in that range still not organized. i don't even want to think about 200-299.

(otoh, i wish i had such a "bulk" organization problem with issues 1 - 99!)

"So while I have purchased nearly a million back issue Marvel and DC comics over the past 18 months, I also made a point of buying about 500,000 comics from Independent and Small Press publishers. In addition, I obtained approximately 100,000 Golden Age (1938-1955), Silver Age (1956-1975), and Bronze Age (1976-1982) comics from other comics dealers, and incorporated those rare older comics into our website listings."

100,000 1938-1982 comics in 18 months actually doesn't seem like all that much for him. I wonder if he's running out of money?

"My final item for today is another reminder that the 2009 OVERSTREET COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE will be released on Wednesday. I'm more used to the Overstreet being released sometime in April, but this year they moved things ahead a little. The annual price increases on most comics in a typical Overstreet are usually only about 5%, which is really not that big of a deal. There are always a few instances, however, where Bob notices that a given title has seen extra demand over the previous year, and bumps the prices upward by 15%-20%. Because the dealers that we purchase from wholesale use the Overstreet for setting the prices that they charge us, we have no choice but to match prices in those instances where Bob Overstreet has made significant changes. 'Nuff said."

Yeah right, when some dealer is selling him 3 van loads of comics they're really whipping out the overstreet to price them all out!

I laughed UPROARIOUSLY when I read that.....

"Let's see....you're buying all my old stock of Valiant post-unitys, but pre-last issues, plus all my Batman books circa 1990-1992, and, of course, my long boxes of Strawberry Shortcake....ok, that'll be $3 a long box."

Really, how far off am I....? Does ANYBODY think Chuckles pays much more than that for ANYTHING?

You're pretty far off. If you're at a show and you have dollar boxes, Chuck will offer a quasi-decent long box price provided he can cherry pick your dollar stock. I.E. You figure you can get 300 dollar books in a long box or $300 per long box. He'll probably offer about 1/3 of that depending on your stock. (Most dollar box people will have signs that say buy 12 for $10 or whatever... so they're already discounting for volume buys.)

Of course, most of his buys are probably in bulk.

Chuck knows what's selling from his inventory so he has an advantage in that respect.

You're pretty far off. If you're at a show and you have dollar boxes, Chuck will offer a quasi-decent long box price provided he can cherry pick your dollar stock. I.E. You figure you can get 300 dollar books in a long box or $300 per long box. He'll probably offer about 1/3 of that depending on your stock. (Most dollar box people will have signs that say buy 12 for $10 or whatever... so they're already discounting for volume buys.)

Chuck knows what's selling from his inventory so he has an advantage in that respect.

I wonder what its like to be surrounded by that many comics. During my peak collecting years, probably 10-15 years old, I think I had 200-300 books.

And CAL has like 18,000 copies of IMSM #1?

I think I might get bored with it all if I ever had that much stuff. (shrug) Of course its not what I do for a living so....

Most definitely. He cares around a binder with all his information. He isn't long box diving in the dark.

Does ANYBODY think Chuckles pays much more than that for ANYTHING?

He came to Houston and paid me roughly 35% of my sticker for about thirty long boxes of 12 cent silver age overstock. It came to $17,500. No BS or squabbling, he wrote a check, it cleared, I was happy, he was happy.

So yes...I think he pays more than $3 a long box for stuff.

Cherry picked dollar books aren't the same as wholesale bulk.

Like I said, $3/long box may be extreme, but I would be shocked to find out he pays much more than $10 for unsearched bulk stuff.

I bought a 60 long box collection last year for $13/long box....it was picked through 80's/90's everything, the most key book would probably be Green Lantern #195, but it was mostly NM, so I figure I got a pretty decent deal. I doubt Chuck would have offered more than $2-$3 a box for this stuff.

He came to Houston and paid me roughly 35% of my sticker for about thirty long boxes of 12 cent silver age overstock. It came to $17,500. No BS or squabbling, he wrote a check, it cleared, I was happy, he was happy.

Must I qualify "anything"...as NOT including bronze/silver age stuff...? Must I...?

Come on, folks.

;)

Must I...?

Come on, folks.

;)

Apparently so... (thumbs u

I am pretty sure Chuck does pay $3 a long box for long boxes of comics for which it is appropriate to pay $3 a long box.

Must I...?

Come on, folks.

;)

Apparently so... (thumbs u

Hokey fine.

"Does ANYONE think Chuckles pays that much for ANYTHING (post 1980, cause not many dealers have bulk overstock for anything prior to that)?"

Better? :foryou:

Those figures explain why MH cannot sell an accurately graded book to save their lives.

1.6 millions books over 18 months is 2,925 books per day. Now, if you're grading moderns with minor defects, I would suggest you can get through 30 an hour average. Assuming a nine hour day, working seven days a week, you would need 11 full time, and 100% dedicated, employees putting in 67.5 hours per week, every week of the year, to grade them all. :o

Cool story. I actually like Chuck and I think he responds to all his emails himself.

Those figures explain why MH cannot sell an accurately graded book to save their lives.

1.6 millions books over 18 months is 2,925 books per day. Now, if you're grading moderns with minor defects, I would suggest you can get through 30 an hour average. Assuming a nine hour day, working seven days a week, you would need 11 full time, and 100% dedicated, employees putting in 67.5 hours per week, every week of the year, to grade them all. :o

He has elves. :gossip:

There are always a few instances, however, where Bob notices that a given title has seen extra demand over the previous year, and bumps the prices upward by 15%-20%.

I didn't realize that! i thought the various OS Advosirs and contributors reported the sales trends (so to speak) and these were reflected in the OSPG - well - prices.

He has elves. :gossip:

Is this something else he's medicated for? :o Has he had a Codeword Sale yet to clear it up?