• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holiday Listing - Is it wise?

8 posts in this topic

I had this discussion recently with a good friend who is a collector also. We know that around the holidays sales tend to become slow. The question is does the lack of listings by sellers help cause this situation? Is it the holidays or the lack of interesting items that causes this? I think a number of factors are involved here.

My advice is that if you are going to sell during the holiday season the best time to list would be on Christmas day at 11:00 AM EST....the reason being...that it will be a new listing visible to people who are done opening their presents and are down on the computer goofing off and browsing with a good feeling in them because of the day and possibly some Christmas money burning a hole in their pocket...

Or if the free listing day is tomorrow (as I suspect it will be) then put a reasonable BIN and you will have a good chance of selling if it is a desirable issue... thumbsup2.gif

The question is does the lack of listings by sellers help cause this situation? Is it the holidays or the lack of interesting items that causes this? I think a number of factors are involved here.

Good point. I don't sell very often, and I guess I also won't be doing much bidding this month. All of my automated e-bay searches usually get me 5-10 e-mails every morning, but this last week I don't think I've had 5 total. I would be buying, but the books I'm looking for aren't being listed. confused-smiley-013.gif

I had this discussion recently with a good friend who is a collector also. We know that around the holidays sales tend to become slow. The question is does the lack of listings by sellers help cause this situation? Is it the holidays or the lack of interesting items that causes this? I think a number of factors are involved here.

I believe that the Ebay peak roundabout September is largely due to convention season drying up and dealers moving online. Likewise, the trough around March is dealers moving offline and gearing up for the spring round of conventions.

Things around the holidays may be slow on Ebay, but dealers still have to pay the rent by moving books. You'll still see plenty of listings by any BSD you care to name out there. I think that the holidays chase away non-dealers and occasional sellers, people who don't make a living doing this. That's why overall volume drops. Us "occasionals" are busy and not listing, or spending our money on holiday type stuff, not comics. Interest doesn't go away, but priorities shift a bit.

Plus, "occasionals" tend to actually have to go to the Post Office to ship, which is a huge pain in the arse this time of year.

That said, CGC owes me 10 books I timed to arrive in January. So I'll be listing slabbed and raw stuff then.