• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2021 at 3:25 PM, Straw-Man said:

well, the search for an upgrade on this'un has taken YEARS.   very happy to have this little mid-grader.   uc with resto heading to the market in a few.

ht32-2 (2).jpg

HARD book to find unrestored mid-grade or higher! All but impossible to find in HIGH grade! Only 1 copy certified in high grade and that's only recently happened! GREAT score Billy boy!!! :applause:

On 11/25/2021 at 3:03 PM, Sarg said:

The post-Schomburg Human Torch is a real letdown IMO. 

The later issues have their appeal, but I get where you're coming from.  You can get some idea of how Alex might've handled The Blonde Phantom, Sun Girl and Namora by his Nedor/Standard covers signed as Xela.  

Needless to say, those Marvel Mystery covers would've been interesting and the Torch undoubtably better composed.  (thumbsu

On 11/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

The later issues have their appeal, but I get where you're coming from.  You can get some idea of how Alex might've handled The Blonde Phantom, Sun Girl and Namora by his Nedor/Standard covers signed as Xela.  

Needless to say, those Marvel Mystery covers would've been interesting and the Torch undoubtably better composed.  (thumbsu

well said!

On 11/25/2021 at 8:16 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

That’s a “tactful” way of putting it...:roflmao:

On 11/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

A Xela Blonde phantom. :luhv:

On 11/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, Straw-Man said:

here's sun girl's other h.t. cover.

ht34.jpg

Was Stan Lee writing the cover captions at this time? Everything about this cover is similar to Marvel '60s covers, right down to the hyperbole of "the most amazing story in comics."

On 11/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, Sarg said:

Was Stan Lee writing the cover captions at this time? Everything about this cover is similar to Marvel '60s covers, right down to the hyperbole of "the most amazing story in comics."

I suspect this was entirely Stan's doing, even the tongue-in-cheek "fat of the land" wordplay in the title. :grin:

On 11/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, Grottu said:

Found this at a flea market 30 yrs ago, just recently sent it in. I clearly remember picking it up along with a Tales From the Crypt, some Conan mags and a couple Sgt. Rocks. Whole thing set me back, like, ten bucks.

EC576276-ADC2-47B9-BBD4-C46610AE22F1.jpeg

That's a nice looking 3.0!