• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, Robot Man said:

Lucky antique mall find today. Only comic in the place. Was just sitting naked on a pile of old Life magazines. Probably the only way I will ever find a GA Cap anymore…:banana:

467A0C96-C994-4180-BCAF-C5491573A63A.jpeg

SCORE!!

Complete?

On 1/19/2022 at 6:00 PM, Robot Man said:

Lucky antique mall find today. Only comic in the place. Was just sitting naked on a pile of old Life magazines. Probably the only way I will ever find a GA Cap anymore…:banana:

Congrats!  :yeehaw: 

Can't beat that for a find in the wild, ...and I love the unintended irony of the "Wheel of Death" sitting on a pile of Life magazines.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:18 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Good find. I was maybe 12 when I first saw this and the whole spear thru the chest thing has haunted me ever since

Alex really knew how to drive home a point!  Also, the Skull & Bones steering committee made the fatal mistake of not securing Cap's participation before the initiation. 

On 1/20/2022 at 7:25 AM, Ameri said:

Alex remembered that Wheel of Death

comic Cap 5 camera.jpg

Yep, Alex drew the covers of #3 & 4 before Jack Kirby returned on 5.  

Number 5 is one of the most Kirby-esque covers of the first ten style-wise, and that roulette wheel of death is quite memorable... (thumbsu

083b4374-6a48-4fa6-9561-ffcfabd2a044_zpsmiywo9uz.jpg.5dbf198f292915ee39a5e92c635cc128.jpg

:cheers:

On 1/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow!!!!! That is one heck of a find!!!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! A very cool cover  indeed wouldn’t mind seeing some interiors if you get around to it!!

On 1/20/2022 at 8:25 AM, Ameri said:

Alex remembered that Wheel of Death

comic Cap 5 camera.jpg

On 1/20/2022 at 11:33 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Yep, Alex drew the covers of #3 & 4 before Jack Kirby returned on 5.  

Number 5 is one of the most Kirby-esque covers of the first ten style-wise, and that roulette wheel of death is quite memorable... (thumbsu

083b4374-6a48-4fa6-9561-ffcfabd2a044_zpsmiywo9uz.jpg.5dbf198f292915ee39a5e92c635cc128.jpg

:cheers:

the wheel of death clearly draws attention from the eye!! Sheesh looks that Clown with the oversized Hatchet right below it though!! That’s nightmare fuel right there!!

On 1/20/2022 at 11:09 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

the wheel of death clearly draws attention from the eye!! Sheesh looks that Clown with the oversized Hatchet right below it though!! That’s nightmare fuel right there!!

agreed. The Cover just screams classic Simon and Kirby. I think it was Syd Shores inking, the Cap face looks altered not as how Joe and Jack drew. The clowns, well Simon and Kirby had a thing for those. When I was growing up in Joe's aparment, I took a look at all the covers. THIS cover jumped out at me. Not because of Cap or bucky but I was fascinated with the wheel of death, the Ringmaster pointing at it and everything about it. Since becoming older, Ive grown to like some of the other Cap covers better, but I still love the Ringmaster/wheel of death area. Truly amazing

On 1/21/2022 at 12:18 PM, Simon Comics said:

agreed. The Cover just screams classic Simon and Kirby. I think it was Syd Shores inking, the Cap face looks altered not as how Joe and Jack drew. The clowns, well Simon and Kirby had a thing for those. When I was growing up in Joe's aparment, I took a look at all the covers. THIS cover jumped out at me. Not because of Cap or bucky but I was fascinated with the wheel of death, the Ringmaster pointing at it and everything about it. Since becoming older, Ive grown to like some of the other Cap covers better, but I still love the Ringmaster/wheel of death area. Truly amazing

Cap 5 cover art was done by Kirby, not Simon, as noted by CGC and GCD.

i had my timely runs complete save for @6 books, total, before there was a cgc.   over the years i've upgraded many books into slabs and sold the u.c. here, usually.   the still-raw books have been cherry-picked for slabbing over the years, leaving about 40 raw books among my remaining  runs [aw, torch, subby--last year i finally had the last of the mm's slabbed].  well, those 40 or so books were left in s'sota a couple weeks ago, and they're starting to come in.   i don't expect too much in the way of big grades, as they've been fine-tooth-combed many times.  still, it's fun seeing what something you've had raw since the 90's comes back as label-wise.

here we go, with a timely file copy, tho' they don't label it anymore.

aw10-1.jpeg

Edited by Straw-Man