• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2023 at 9:02 PM, podboy66 said:

Pretty happy with this one.  Photo doesn’t do it justice - news stand fresh with razor sharp edges.

FD1DE523-6A9B-48A5-9228-CB45506D8454.jpeg

Congrats! Excellent PQ and color registration; tightly framed image and masthead too.  For an 8.5 copy, one of the rare Promise Collection book that presents a heckuva lot better than grade! (thumbsu

The Bell Features Canadian edition is almost identical except the cover illustration is cut just below the bottom frame by the printer with no month date on the masthead.

I'll assume the U.S. edition doesn't have a hockey ad on the back (lol)... 

(edited)_MMC92_zpstibhkyye.jpg.56e7f58a8de578d8f391ddcad2534200.jpg

On 1/31/2023 at 1:05 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Congrats! Excellent PQ and color registration; tightly framed image and masthead too.  For an 8.5 copy, one of the rare Promise Collection book that presents a heckuva lot better than grade(thumbsu

I don't know how to quantify "heckuva", but that is a pretty broad statement, Cat. All of the Promise books I have bought or seen in person look as good as or better than the grade. Magnificent eye appeal was the reason for the high grades in the first place.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:53 AM, MrBedrock said:

I don't know how to quantify "heckuva", but that is a pretty broad statement, Cat. All of the Promise books I have bought or seen in person look as good as or better than the grade. Magnificent eye appeal was the reason for the high grades in the first place.

Why let facts get in the way of a good narrative? 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:41 AM, buttock said:
On 1/31/2023 at 10:53 AM, MrBedrock said:

Why let facts get in the way of a good narrative? 

Maybe there is an exact list of all of the books with a total tally that shows that a vast majority look worse than the grade and only a very few look a "heckuva" lot better than grade. I mean if there is actual proof then I am willing to accept it as fact.

On 1/31/2023 at 10:53 AM, MrBedrock said:

But of course, Richard! We can almost determine the quality of a grade by sniffing the cork or rather sniffing out a corker... 

"Ummm, Timely, vintage '47, bouquet of freshly pressed mint with a hint of slightly aged wood pulp, magnificent color and presentation; CGC bottling and gold label; Promise vineyards." hm

The Promise books I've acquired hold up to inspection and I'm very picky, ...as are you, my friend.  I've viewed none of the Promise Collection books in person prior to purchase, primarily due to auctions being held during the height of the pandemic. That said, I always examine scans (photos) carefully. 

I'm not making any assessments of other books in this pedigree. There've been many well thought out discussions ...some contentious... about certain grades based on high resolution photos provided. You're right of course, seeing books in person is preferable to judging from a scan or photo.  I'd agree, also recommending this when practical, but in lieu of that scans are usually sufficient to make basic assessments about most grades, or rather grade opinions. Note: In one sense you and I are saying much the same thing. BTW, I like the way you play poker, you're being cagey about my quantifier while I'm raising your qualifier (bold).

My quantifier: Heckuva just means that particular book presented a heckuva lot better than a typical 8.5 grade based on the image provided (my opinion). I was neither riding a high horse nor beating one.  :deadhorse:

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added, Thursday AM.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:02 PM, podboy66 said:

Pretty happy with this one.  Photo doesn’t do it justice - news stand fresh with razor sharp edges.

FD1DE523-6A9B-48A5-9228-CB45506D8454.jpeg

Man, I wanted this book so bad but was selling in this auction, so cant buy right now. I used to own the Aurora copy, which was also an 8.5. Had to sell it about 20 years ago (along with my Captain America #46 (9.4) (doh)....got a whooping $6000 for it)