• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is/Will There Be Any Profit Margin

7 posts in this topic

In 9.6ses (putting aside X-Men and a few other keys from that era) under the new CGC pricing structure for 1975-1979 books? I'm not that familiar with the current pricing climate, but I'll assume for now that 9.6ses of ASMs in the 160s-190s tend to do better than $30? What about second string titles like Captain America, Thor, Daredevil (non-Miller), Hulk, FF, Peter Parker? Third stringers like MTU? Do these need to be 9.8s to posssibly make sense to slab under the new pricing formula (assuming done in bulk, slow turn around). [i'm not even factoring in the potential huge number of submissions to beat the May 1 deadline that might glut the market a bit for a while] And what about DCs?

I think the view has already been expressed in other threads...there are very few issues in that timeframe to justify slabbing them in less than 9.8 once the increase goes into effect...

Jim

I think the view has already been expressed in other threads...there are very few issues in that timeframe to justify slabbing them in less than 9.8 once the increase goes into effect...

Jim

Agreed. Of the titles mentioned above, 9.6 or below are less than $20 books except for perhaps a handful of issues.

that's what i wanted to know. thanks. it's the 25 cent cover price books that tend to have a shot at being worthwhile in 9.6, 30-40 centers are a waste (with a few exceptions). that might include some 75/76 books i guess, but not many in my collection. what i have are 30-35 centers in nice shape.

there are very few issues in that timeframe to justify slabbing them in less than 9.8 once the increase goes into effect...

Hmm, so a price increase is going to decrease demand? Wonder if they've considered the impact to the business. I can't, for the life of me, understand why companies are willing to lose business in this economy, when so many companies are failing. If they think raising prices will increase revenue, they're simpletons. I hope they have a model worked out that shows the increased pricing will decrease demand, which in turn allows them to cut costs by reducing headcount.

Hmm, so a price increase is going to decrease demand?

No, just that people are apparently willing to pay perhaps $20 for these books and CGC charging $23 (from $15 or $16) to slab them isn't going to result in people being willing to pay $30 for them. At $30 demand would go down.

I've had enough nice looking silver age books in slabs that guide for $25-$35 in their 7.0ish condition to know that the slab isn't going to make them $50 books. people are willing to pay $25-$30 for them, basically the cost of encapsulation. the comic is "free".