• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12/24/03 PRETTY BOOK OF THE DAY

17 posts in this topic

I just bought a nice mid-grade copy of FF 18 yesterday!

Been looking to upgrade my GVG for years now...

cloud9.gif

That's a tougher book to find even in nicer middle grade.

I've always been totally fascinated by that striking ultramarine blue to light blue gradient that was used on alot of those early silver age Marvels.....I gotta' come up with terminology for it. Any suggestions?

I also wish I knew more about the printing processes and how they differed from the techniques used in later periods,....I know the printing in the 80's was abysmal, some of the FF's I have from the Byrne period are really muddy looking.....didn't it have to do with the use of plastic printing plates instead of metal, or something like that, to cut costs?

Ejucate me, dang it! Ejucate me!

wink.gif

I've always been totally fascinated by that striking ultramarine blue to light blue gradient that was used on alot of those early silver age Marvels.....I gotta' come up with terminology for it. Any suggestions?

I've always been a big fan of the phrase "striking ultramarine blue to light blue gradient" myself. confused-smiley-013.gif

Jive--you're a lucky man!!! thumbsup2.gif I finally got my books from the "Cranky New Yorker" pedigree on Monday too. cloud9.gif Over the past few years, I've noticed you and drummy go through flipping phases...if this one ever comes into phase...LOOK ME UP!!!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifsmile.gif

I also wish I knew more about the printing processes and how they differed from the techniques used in later periods,....I know the printing in the 80's was abysmal, some of the FF's I have from the Byrne period are really muddy looking.....didn't it have to do with the use of plastic printing plates instead of metal, or something like that, to cut costs?

Ejucate me, dang it! Ejucate me!

wink.gif

Plastic printing plates = Flexigraphic process (usually super bright colors).

Based on that gorgeous FF #18, they didn't call it the Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine for nothin'!

Jive--you're a lucky man!!! thumbsup2.gif I finally got my books from the "Cranky New Yorker" pedigree on Monday too. cloud9.gif Over the past few years, I've noticed you and drummy go through flipping phases...if this one ever comes into phase...LOOK ME UP!!!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifsmile.gif

Flip...MOI?!? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

You must have me confused with that OTHER George fellow on these boards. devil.gif

Thanks for lookin' everyone...but don't forget to check out the PRETTY BOOK OF THE DAY thread from 12/23....there is quite a nice little book at the end of that thread.

Merry X-Mas everyone!

but isn't that just classic Kirby 3-D perspective on the cover?

I never really noticed...when Kirby draws large and dynamic figures like the ones on this cover, I rarely notice the backgrounds. I do notice them more on the issues from 84 to 108...he became better at making both large figures and prominent environments work well together later in the FF run. I usually only remember the character figures on early FFs, but on Kirby's later ones, I remember parts of the scenes along WITH the characters...examples include the castle on #84, the arena on #93, the lagoon on #97, or the moon's surface on #98. On the overwhelming majority of Kirby issues, however, the characters dominate the art, which is fine with me!!!

Two things I notice on the cover is the huge Thing in the foreground and the orange Superskrull in the background. I think the colorist did a wonderful job with the dark blues on the upper half of the cover. Everybody talks about the white and black cover, but a cover like this one is unusual. It's also one of my favorites as well.

Nice book! 893applaud-thumb.gif