• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Wireless Routers

31 posts in this topic

Anyone here used THIS router? I've been having connection woes lately, and the guy from Charter who came and tested my system couldn't find a problem. I've had my Motorola Surfboard modem/D-Link cheapie router for 5 years, and he pretty much sputtered that it HAS to be on my end (typical Charter nonsense). I think they need to run a new line from the pole to my house, but one of my friends who was in upper management for Charter told me they'd only do that as a last resort.

ANYWAY, I ordered a new modem & router (if nothing else they'll be backup in case of a lightning strike). I went with that router since it was cheap, and it was one of the highest rated ones on Newegg.

Anyone here used THIS router? I've been having connection woes lately, and the guy from Charter who came and tested my system couldn't find a problem. I've had my Motorola Surfboard modem/D-Link cheapie router for 5 years, and he pretty much sputtered that it HAS to be on my end (typical Charter nonsense). I think they need to run a new line from the pole to my house, but one of my friends who was in upper management for Charter told me they'd only do that as a last resort.

ANYWAY, I ordered a new modem & router (if nothing else they'll be backup in case of a lightning strike). I went with that router since it was cheap, and it was one of the highest rated ones on Newegg.

Why couldn't he just swap out a new or temporary cable modem directly (wired) to your computer. That would isolate the router being the culprit or not pretty fast. Don't open up

the router just yet, if they are separate. Use the modem first (directly via ethernet), and make sure it works. If not, the router is pretty much useless.

Get an N router, not a G router. If wireless range is an issue, the N router will make a big difference. And then there's the speed. N is much faster than G.

Due to the fact that my wife works at home and my job supplements my internet services we have 2 separate internet connections comind into the house and both are serviced by linksys wireless routers. My wifes laptop runs Vista and her work pc is XP. My laptop is XP as well as my PC. I have never had any problems with connectivity nor security. Keep the firmware updated, use the encryption and a secure password and everything is fine.

we got a linksys N ultra rangeplus dual-band wirless router. it was more expensive than i thought it would be, but the prices I had seen more of were for G routers, not so much N routers. we opted not to spend another $20 (and in total $50 above our original outer budget) on the simultaneous dual band. whatever, i spent $30 more than for the more basic N router model, I hope the $30 saves some headaches and it will definitely be worth it. $30 isn't much when I seem to be spending that much every 2 months on frigging ink jet cartridges for my HP. I changed my lazer toner every 2 years and now every 2 months my wife is telling me we're running low on toner. i'm regretting ink jet technology....

Haven't set up the router yet. I DEFINITELY will be putting all the security thingies on there as my wife was able to use a neighbor's (dunno which one or how far away) unsecured linksys router to get on the internet with the laptop, which arrived yesterday, and she was on there for a few hours before losing her connectiont. in a way it's cool that i have SOME internet portability (even if via "hacking") as I opted not to spend the money on a wifi modem and $60+ a month service charges for WIFI.

we got a linksys N ultra rangeplus dual-band wirless router. it was more expensive than i thought it would be, but the prices I had seen more of were for G routers, not so much N routers. we opted not to spend another $20 (and in total $50 above our original outer budget) on the simultaneous dual band. whatever, i spent $30 more than for the more basic N router model, I hope the $30 saves some headaches and it will definitely be worth it. $30 isn't much when I seem to be spending that much every 2 months on frigging ink jet cartridges for my HP. I changed my lazer toner every 2 years and now every 2 months my wife is telling me we're running low on toner. i'm regretting ink jet technology....

Haven't set up the router yet. I DEFINITELY will be putting all the security thingies on there as my wife was able to use a neighbor's (dunno which one or how far away) unsecured linksys router to get on the internet with the laptop, which arrived yesterday, and she was on there for a few hours before losing her connectiont. in a way it's cool that i have SOME internet portability (even if via "hacking") as I opted not to spend the money on a wifi modem and $60+ a month service charges for WIFI.

WiFi theft is theft. Please understand that it is NOT a victimless theft. Most customers who pay for internet services have bandwidth caps that can be quickly reached if someone is piggybacking on their network without their knowledge. They should be smart enough to turn on encryption and not broadcast the SSID but, ethically, piggybacking is wrong in my opinion.

Get an N router, not a G router. If wireless range is an issue, the N router will make a big difference. And then there's the speed. N is much faster than G.

While range is increased for N you need to specify though that speed when it comes to like web browsing, gaming or whatever you do online in the WAN will not be faster. N only offers speed increases when it come to your LAN which is computer to computer file sharing within your home and such. This has always been a misconception and if you are not doing any heavy LAN sharing or such G is just fine along with you will save some money. Only time you would need an N router is when range is at it farthest and heavy Local Area Network traffic. In most cases a G router is just fine.

This next info is for the blob:

Also I recommend getting a program called Network Stumbler. You install this on a computer with wireless ablity and what it allows you to do is see what routers in your neighborhood are using what channel. Usually your wireless network card or plug in device will have software but usally they just show what is available and whats out there but not teh channels they are using.

The reason I bring this up is because there is 11 channels you can use on your router. Depending on how close other people wireless routers are and what channel they are using can cause interference in your signal. The prime channels you will want to use are 1 - 6 - 11 since none of these channels overlap. Anyways, with the net stumbler program find out what others in your neghbor hood are using and use one of the three channels I listed that isn't in use the most or is out of range the best of the other routers. Netstumbler will also show how close they are to you by how strong the signal is. Your basic wirelss network software will show signal strength too.

While range is increased for N you need to specify though that speed when it comes to like web browsing, gaming or whatever you do online in the WAN will not be faster. N only offers speed increases when it come to your LAN which is computer to computer file sharing within your home and such. This has always been a misconception and if you are not doing any heavy LAN sharing or such G is just fine along with you will save some money. Only time you would need an N router is when range is at it farthest and heavy Local Area Network traffic. In most cases a G router is just fine.

I'm talking about LAN speed, not download speeds. I know that the G throughput is faster than almost any internet connection.

oh jeez louise, the software that comes with our wireless doesn't say anything about that, it just lets you link in to anything that let's you do so. maybe someone should talk to dell or microsoft about this? i seriously doubt any bandwidths were being exceeded at 3 in the morning. and it's not like i'm not paying for my own cable internet connection, we just haven't set up the router yet! (I just got the laptop yesterday and bought the router at 9 pm!). it's not like she was stealing someone's passowrds or CC info, she was just checking out our wirless device to see if it worked and whether a connection could last long enough to download something from her office website.

Anywayz, at least according to this article, in New York it's only a problem if you "hack" into a protected network:

http://www.cybertelecom.org/broadband/wifisecurity.htm

other states may differ.