• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This The Craziest price paid in the last 10 years for a comic?

56 posts in this topic

I think it was a fair price - It's the single highest graded copy. This is a tougher book in HG than most people realize.

I actually thought it would go for at least $15K.

I think it was a fair price - It's the single highest graded copy. This is a tougher book in HG than most people realize.

Well apparently there is at least one person that would pay more than $10K so if it were on the open market in an auction, you could be right.

Well apparently there is at least one person that would pay more than $10K so if it were on the open market in an auction, you could be right.

Hey , I just bought 11 books that are missing their back 1/2 pages and BC.

:gossip:.....But it's my BD and I'm drinking , so I get a pass , huh ? :grin:

Did you pay $10K for them? If not, then how is this related to the topic at hand, lush?

Did you pay $10K for them? If not, then how is this related to the topic at hand, lush?

Ah , shaaaadup ! .................... :makepoint:

There are plenty of other recent sales that make 10K for the FF 37 seem kind of sane. For example:

ASM #24 CGC 9.6 $20,195

ASM #37 CGC 9.4 $8,644

ASM #37 CGC 9.6 $13,583

ASM #31 CGC 9.6 $8,995

ASM #31 CGC 9.8 $21,961

FF #55 CGC 9.6 $10,051

FF #72 CGC 9.6 $7,100

As previously mentioned, the FF 37 is the single highest graded copy. I think the ASM #31 in 9.8 is the only one-of-a-kind book on this list.

It seems like a crazy price but it is a classic cover

It is? (shrug) News to me...

Me too. I would have thought $1k for the book was more inline with what I have seen books like the White Mountain copy of FF #35 (much better book IMO) go for. I guess there is a lot to be said about a "top census" book...

A mid-60's non-key Marvel selling for 5 figures (30 X 9.2 guide)?

Makes perfect sense to me. :screwy:

I'm pretty certain he could find much better investments for that kind of money. Unless he intends to keep it for his collection, in which case more power to him, as someone said earlier.

I'm pretty certain he could find much better investments for that kind of money. Unless he intends to keep it for his collection, in which case more power to him, as someone said earlier.

Just wait until a 9.8 shows up on the market. Suddenly that ratty looking 9.6 doesn't look so appealing any more. Try getting $10k back for it then.

Just wait until a 9.8 shows up on the market. Suddenly that ratty looking 9.6 doesn't look so appealing any more. Try getting $10k back for it then.

this ain't a bronze batman we're talking about which are as common in 9.8 as flies on mess.

It seems like a crazy price but it is a classic cover

It is? (shrug) News to me...

Me too. I would have thought $1k for the book was more inline with what I have seen books like the White Mountain copy of FF #35 (much better book IMO) go for. I guess there is a lot to be said about a "top census" book...

Maybe 35 is a "better" book but it's also a lot easier to find in high grade. 1 in 9.8 and 10 in 9.6 vs only 1 in 9.6 for the 37. I realize that more will probably show up. But in 9 years of heavy slabbing, exactly one has shown up so far. Even if 3 more show up in 9.6 in the next 10 years, I'm fairly sure there are at least 3 more high grade FF collectors out there.

but what is the having the SINGLE BEST 37 along with all your other top census books in your run keeps you on top? The best FF collection! yayyy! Yoiu have to buy it an ANY price just to have it, so no one else can.

having said that, has Doug sold his FFs? Wouldnt HE want the single best copy for his incredible run? Why sell it? Unless even HE couldnt pull the trigger at 10K.

??

this ain't a bronze batman we're talking about which are as common in 9.8 as flies on mess.

There are a ton of common HG mid-60s Marvels as well. :baiting:

As much as I have always liked this cover compared to surrounding issues, that price seems way too high for a non-pedigree copy IMHO. (shrug)