• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This The Craziest price paid in the last 10 years for a comic?

56 posts in this topic

Helll I don't know, that's an entirely different discussion. The reality is, if you want top census copies you have to pay exorbitant prices. What having the best does for you is entirely dependent on the person. And who says Doug didn't purchase this particular book?

but what is the having the SINGLE BEST 37 along with all your other top census books in your run keeps you on top? The best FF collection! yayyy! Yoiu have to buy it an ANY price just to have it, so no one else can.

having said that, has Doug sold his FFs? Wouldnt HE want the single best copy for his incredible run? Why sell it? Unless even HE couldnt pull the trigger at 10K.

??

Doesn't make any sense to me either. I don't know about everyone else, but I have to think real soon especially in this economy that these mid-60's marvel top census books are really going to hit a wall price wise. Even though this particular book is the one and only top census book now, you know that there are others out there. Once those books get graded too, I would hate to be the one holding this book. :screwy:

but what is the having the SINGLE BEST 37 along with all your other top census books in your run keeps you on top? The best FF collection! yayyy! Yoiu have to buy it an ANY price just to have it, so no one else can.

having said that, has Doug sold his FFs? Wouldnt HE want the single best copy for his incredible run? Why sell it? Unless even HE couldnt pull the trigger at 10K.

??

Doesn't make any sense to me either. I don't know about everyone else, but I have to think real soon especially in this economy that these mid-60's marvel top census books are really going to hit a wall price wise. Even though this particular book is the one and only top census book now, you know that there are others out there. Once those books get graded too, I would hate to be the one holding this book. :screwy:

I think the ones that have 5-10-15 copies have already hit that wall. It's the top census stuff and hard to find in high grade that commands huge premiums. There are only 4 books in the FF run between number 14-40 that have either one or fewer copies in 9.6 with no 9.8s. #s 17,18,31 and 37. No one here would think $10K was too high for a 9.6 copy of #18. Whether the 37 is as tough to find in 9.6 going forward is dabatable but up to this point it has been.

I maintain my stance that the price realized for this book is viable due to the toughness of finding a copy in 9.2 or higher - believe me, I know. The PC copy is a 9.4. I told Mike before he ever put it on the blocks he could get at least $10K for it. That was over a month ago. :gossip:

I was actually surprised he didn't get more for it

:applause: More power to him! :grin:

I maintain my stance that the price realized for this book is viable due to the toughness of finding a copy in 9.2 or higher - believe me, I know. The PC copy is a 9.4. I told Mike before he ever put it on the blocks he could get at least $10K for it. That was over a month ago. :gossip:

As fast as it turned over, he probably could have. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

this ain't a bronze batman we're talking about which are as common in 9.8 as flies on mess.

Please point me towards these Batmans in 9.8 that are so common, as I would like to purchase #250-#300 in 9.8

Thanks (thumbs u

I agree, even if a couple more show up in the next 3-4 years.

why don't we check whose registry set this book resides in. and then we can continue the discussion about how crazy he is. like a fox.

Enlighten us, who is it? I maintain it's not that crazy a price in today's market. To put it in perspective, someone just paid $7K for an Avenngers 93 in 9.6. There are 8 copies in 9.6 and it came out 6 1/2 years later than FF 37. Craziness is relative in the high grade market today.

yeah, but there are a lot of FFs out there from that era. you'd have to think at the very least some 9.6ses come along if no 9.8.

Maybe, but it's not like FFs (or any Marvels) have been under-submitted to CGC, and since the top Marvel collectors don't mind pressed books, you know that they've been urging Matt & Co. to use whatever techniques they can use to pump the grades up to the maximum.

So given that (i) CGC's been in existence for around 8 years now, (ii) pressing has been commonplace for at least 5 or 6 years now, (iii) guys like Brulato would know if any of the new discoveries like Common Mountain or Fire Lake had an equally nice copy, and (iv) despite all these factors the census is still as tiny as it is in the upper echelons, then you'd have to conclude that it's a genuinely difficult book in grade and the odds are that a bunch of 9.6s or 9.8s are not going to suddenly emerge from the woodwork (or Matt Nelson's presses).

It seems like a crazy price but it is a classic cover

It is? (shrug) News to me...

Me too. I would have thought $1k for the book was more inline with what I have seen books like the White Mountain copy of FF #35 (much better book IMO) go for. I guess there is a lot to be said about a "top census" book...

Maybe 35 is a "better" book but it's also a lot easier to find in high grade. 1 in 9.8 and 10 in 9.6 vs only 1 in 9.6 for the 37. I realize that more will probably show up. But in 9 years of heavy slabbing, exactly one has shown up so far. Even if 3 more show up in 9.6 in the next 10 years, I'm fairly sure there are at least 3 more high grade FF collectors out there.

(thumbs u

why don't we check whose registry set this book resides in. and then we can continue the discussion about how crazy he is. like a fox.

Enlighten us, who is it? I maintain it's not that crazy a price in today's market. To put it in perspective, someone just paid $7K for an Avenngers 93 in 9.6. There are 8 copies in 9.6 and it came out 6 1/2 years later than FF 37. Craziness is relative in the high grade market today.

You are totally spot on today. (thumbs u

It seems like a crazy price but it is a classic cover

It is? (shrug) News to me...

Me too. I would have thought $1k for the book was more inline with what I have seen books like the White Mountain copy of FF #35 (much better book IMO) go for. I guess there is a lot to be said about a "top census" book...

Maybe 35 is a "better" book but it's also a lot easier to find in high grade. 1 in 9.8 and 10 in 9.6 vs only 1 in 9.6 for the 37. I realize that more will probably show up. But in 9 years of heavy slabbing, exactly one has shown up so far. Even if 3 more show up in 9.6 in the next 10 years, I'm fairly sure there are at least 3 more high grade FF collectors out there.

What you say is true. If someone is looking to complete a run of high grade FF's this book would certainly be a welcome addition to that set. I have always thought of FF #35 and #36 as being great books in the Fantastic Four run, so I was merely pointing out the 10:1 swing in price for issues close in number but with what I perceive to be of greater significance story wise.

As fast as it turned over, he probably could have. GOD BLESS...

I wasn't watching but I'd pretty much guarantee that it was sold before it was ever listed. I'd lay money on either Doug or Tom Brulato having bought it.

This book is killer and has 9.8 tendencies and ridiculous color strike.

No one has mentioned the "ridiculous color strike" yet. I certainly look for books with a ridiculous cover strike, whatever that is. :roflmao:

This book is killer and has 9.8 tendencies and ridiculous color strike.

No one has mentioned the "ridiculous color strike" yet. I certainly look for books with a ridiculous cover strike, whatever that is. :roflmao:

I think "strike" refers to the original striking of the color plate on the page when it was originally printed. In any printing, even moderns, sometimes one of the inks is low in the printer and it creates a batch of books that doesn't have strong blues or reds., etc....

This error is hard to see on its own but next to several other copies, its easier to spot.

I personally enjoy the clever writing Doug puts in on the book descriptions. Fun stuff, and sets him apart. (thumbs u