• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USA Comics #1 CGC 5.5 Universal label - Walked through today!

21 posts in this topic

I just traded a huge part of my comic book collection for a handful of golden age gems that to my knowledge were never graded by the CGC. Here is the first one to come back, which I graded via a walk thru today. I never thought I would hold some of these Timelys in my hands and remember staring at them in the color section of Overstreet back in the 70's when I was a kid and just dreaming! This was neither pressed or cleaned prior to grading.PM's are OK but first :takeit: gets this choice item! USA Comics #1CGC graded 5.5 condition - Universal Timely ComicsAugust of 1941Origin and 1st appearance Whizzer, Mister Liberty and Rocketman.1st appearance of Jack Frost and Dr. Emil FrankCream to Off White pagesBondage coverStan Lee and Joe Simon storyJack Kirby coverBasil Wolverton, Jack Kirby, Joe Simon, Al Avison, Syd Shores and Al Gabriele artAsking $3,499...offers considered. Shipping is free and will include insurance. scan0163-1.jpg

scan0164-1.jpg

scan0165-1.jpg

No, I'd say it's definitely Kirby. You can tell by the boney fingers on the nazi ghoul and the skinny legs on The Defender. Just look at the Sandman covers from Adveture Comics and you'll see a lot of the same thing (thumbs u

No, I'd say it's definitely Kirby. You can tell by the boney fingers on the nazi ghoul and the skinny legs on The Defender. Just look at the Sandman covers from Adveture Comics and you'll see a lot of the same thing (thumbs u

Yeah, but weren't those done by S+K?

So maybe this cover has some S+K on it? I see the knuckles...it just doesn't strike me as pure Kirby.

Yeah, but weren't those done by S+K?

So maybe this cover has some S+K on it? I see the knuckles...it just doesn't strike me as pure Kirby.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's listed as Kirby pencils and Simon inks on the Grand Comics Database.

That's what I thought. It doesn't look like pure Kirby. The rounded legs on the hero and a few other clues make it look very Simonesque.

R.

If you purchased the book and looked at it really really closely you could probably tell for sure.. better to be safe than sorry

:roflmao:

^^