• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone looking forward to Star Trek??

129 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed this movie. For quite awhile, I felt the franchise was tapped out and running on fumes and past goodwill. I had given up on it around the time of "Voyager" and the previous 2 ST:TNG films were very bad.

There were only some small items in the story that I will have to "settle" in my mind with what I thought was "Star Trek" that I grew up with. But, I'm looking forward to this series going forward. I thought the cast was very good, especially Dr. McCoy. The "time travel" leaves some big questions and there were a couple of moments where I thought the -script was weak in terms of how people "met". (ie. Nimoy & young Kirk)

So far, my favorite movie of the year and not sure what will beat it for me. Oh, and it was full of cameos. (I could do without Madea. ) In the beginning, I was trying to think who the bald Federation captain was. And then it struck me, it was the villain in Iron Man.

""Star Trek" is on its way to a huge opening weekend.

Paramount's reboot of the classic franchise grossed between $7 million and $8 million from Thursday evening and midnight shows, according to knowledgeable industry source. That's bigger than last year's "Iron Man," which sold about $5 million of tickets on a comparable Thursday opening and went on to make $102.1 million by Sunday.

More notably, one person with access to box-office data said today that "Star Trek" had already sold about $3 million worth of tickets by this morning. That's twice as big as "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which opened to $85 million, at the same point last week.

However, given the franchise's devoted base of hard-core fans, sales for the earliest shows don't necessarily mean the movie will go on to be as big as "Iron Man." But it's now looking very likely it will warp past tracking that indicated it would make between $65 million and $75 million."

Wooooooo!

Wolverine also dropped like a stone on Friday.

If only it could knock that damn Titanic out of #1 all time position.

It will be hard to do as movie boxoffice are a different game now. If you will notice a movie is only number 1 its opening week till the next movie comes along. example, Wolverine was number 1 last week,Star Trek will be 1 this week, then you got Terminator and Transformers who will both be number 1 at some point.

Thats what makes Batman Dark Knight so amazing boxoffice saleswise, it just stayed number 1 week after week.

It will be hard to do as movie boxoffice are a different game now. If you will notice a movie is only number 1 its opening week till the next movie comes along. example, Wolverine was number 1 last week,Star Trek will be 1 this week, then you got Terminator and Transformers who will both be number 1 at some point.

Thats what makes Batman Dark Knight so amazing boxoffice saleswise, it just stayed number 1 week after week.

Where do you get this stuff?

:roflmao:

Got it. A movie may stay number one, or it might be replaced as number one.

Depending on how successful it is, of course.

Where do you get this stuff?

:roflmao:

Got it. A movie may stay number one, or it might be replaced as number one.

Depending on how successful it is, of course.

A better translation of what I said in the above (thumbs u

I have a feeling that Star Trek has legs. Maybe not as much as Titanic or Dark Knight, but it is an awesome movie. Maybe break the 300 million mark or more. I don't think Terminator will be do as well as Wolverine or Star Trek. G. I. Joe looked like it might be interesting.

I have a feeling that Star Trek has legs. Maybe not as much as Titanic or Dark Knight, but it is an awesome movie. Maybe break the 300 million mark or more. I don't think Terminator will be do as well as Wolverine or Star Trek. G. I. Joe looked like it might be interesting.

Transformers will be a dud in my opinion.

While I'd like to believe The Dark Knight was indeed one of the best comic book movies ever, Heath Ledgers death was a big catalyst for TDK staying at number one for so many weeks in a row. The downside is, my expectations for what makes a good comic book movie is so damned high that nothing will please me anymore. Plus whenever the third Batman comes out, it won't do nearly as well, and it might even suck a little since all third movies generally suck.

I think Star Trek may stay number 1 for two weeks in a row, since nothing spectacular comes out next weekend. Terminator will knock it out of the number 1 spot, but after that it'll be pretty fair game until Transformers.

I want Killer Croc in number 3!!

That would be killer!

Not sure if you ever read the latest Joker novel, but i really loved the way they portrayed Killer Croc in there - http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/10/16/dc-comics-delivers-an-exclusive-sneak-peek-at-joker/

While I'd like to believe The Dark Knight was indeed one of the best comic book movies ever, Heath Ledgers death was a big catalyst for TDK staying at number one for so many weeks in a row. The downside is, my expectations for what makes a good comic book movie is so damned high that nothing will please me anymore. Plus whenever the third Batman comes out, it won't do nearly as well, and it might even suck a little since all third movies generally suck.

I think Star Trek may stay number 1 for two weeks in a row, since nothing spectacular comes out next weekend. Terminator will knock it out of the number 1 spot, but after that it'll be pretty fair game until Transformers.

I think Star Trek may stay number 1 for two weeks in a row, since nothing spectacular comes out next weekend.

Well, there is the sequel to The DaVinci Code, which brought in $758,000,000.

That movie sucked..I'll admitt that the first one was worse..I don't understand the hype they are NOT good movies. The books are Ok but, I jsut did not enjoy the movies.. 2c

Titanic was a waste of film.

Oh, c'mon, the "I'll never let go" part was kinda' funny... :grin:

Saw Star Trek today. Very satisfying to watch. I enjoyed the use of temporal dislocation as the reason to give new opportunities to old characters. Uhura is HOT. Old Spock did a very good job.

That movie sucked..I'll admitt that the first one was worse..I don't understand the hype they are NOT good movies. The books are Ok but, I jsut did not enjoy the movies.. 2c

You've seen Angels & Demons?