• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man gets 7 years for forging check to buy ASM #2

74 posts in this topic

From the Chicago Tribune 5/8/09

Man gets 7 years for using forged check to buy prized comic book

Tribune staff report

May 8, 2009

The purchase of a rare 1963 Spider-Man comic book with a forged check has resulted in a 7-year prison sentence for a former Naperville man.

Scott Meherg, 28, pleaded guilty to theft Thursday in DuPage County court. Records show Meherg used a $980.99 forged bank check to obtain Spider-Man #2, the second book in the original series, from Graham Crackers Comics in Naperville in 2007.

Assistant DuPage County State's Atty. Louisa Nuckolls told Judge Peter Dockery that Meherg has three convictions on deceptive practices and forgery charges.

The first-edition comic book has never been recovered, and Dockery ordered Meherg to pay $980.99 in restitution.

Assistant Public Defender George Ford said his client has had drug issues in recent years.

Meherg, who also had an address in Des Plaines, fled the area after police identified him through a photo lineup and his fingerprints on the phony check but was arrested last fall in Ogle County on a deceptive practices charge. He faced a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Should I post the story again about how I ordered $500 worth of books from Marvel as an 8 year old kid?

:shy:

Should I post the story again about how I ordered $500 worth of books from Marvel as an 8 year old kid?

:roflmao:

I didn't know Marvel were publishing back then :baiting:

With a bum check, might I add?

True story....

With a bum check, might I add?

True story....

I have lurked here, posted little, for years but I don't recall reading that story

OK, here goes...this is quoted from Tupenny's selling thread a few months ago. Now you will all know why I love Marvel fireside books so much.... True story:

OK Gang, here goes.

Sit back and enjoy the read.

:popcorn:

When I was 7 or 8 years old (grade 2 I remember specifically which would have been 1977 or 1978) I decided I wanted to order a bunch of Marvel Fireside books.

Problem was I didn't have any money.

No problem. I just clipped a coupon from a Marvel Comic, checked off EVERY BOX on the coupon and mailed it in with one of my parent's checks.

If you can remember that far back you'll remember that checks in those days did not have their account numbers printed out on them...you had to fill them in yourself. So I proceeded to fill in some bogus account number (in Canadian funds mind you), total up the books I ordered, add the shipping charge and write in the $$ amount.

I dropped the envelope containing the bum check and the coupon in the mail and completely forgot about it as 7 year old boys are wont to do.

Well several weeks go by and we are coming back from a vacation and I am none the wiser when my parents realize that there is a large, heavy box in the front porch.

We're all wondering what is inside. I'm as clueless as greggy in a Marvel long box.

doh!

We pull the box inside and I remember vividly opening the box and to my amazement being confronted with multiple copies of every Fireside book imaginable. Hard covers, soft covers...The Mighty Marvel Cookbook, How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Bring On The Bad Guys....you name it...almost everything in duplicate...I even had the Calender from what I believe was 1978!

Can you imagine what went through my mind as I poured over cover after glossy cover of each of these books? I barely slept that night!

:cloud9:

What was even funnier was that the publisher had written me a check back because I had overpaid.

So at the age of 7 I spent (from what I remember) about $400, paid for it with a bum check, got a refund and then proceeded to take the books to school for show and tell and give many of the away.

:screwy:

I still have the refund check as a reality check to remind me that I was not dreaming.

lol

I'll post it up here some day.

How's that for a cool story?

OK, here goes...this is quoted from Tupenny's selling thread a few months ago. Now you will all know why I love Marvel fireside books so much.... True story:

OK Gang, here goes.

Sit back and enjoy the read.

:popcorn:

When I was 7 or 8 years old (grade 2 I remember specifically which would have been 1977 or 1978) I decided I wanted to order a bunch of Marvel Fireside books.

Problem was I didn't have any money.

No problem. I just clipped a coupon from a Marvel Comic, checked off EVERY BOX on the coupon and mailed it in with one of my parent's checks.

If you can remember that far back you'll remember that checks in those days did not have their account numbers printed out on them...you had to fill them in yourself. So I proceeded to fill in some bogus account number (in Canadian funds mind you), total up the books I ordered, add the shipping charge and write in the $$ amount.

I dropped the envelope containing the bum check and the coupon in the mail and completely forgot about it as 7 year old boys are wont to do.

Well several weeks go by and we are coming back from a vacation and I am none the wiser when my parents realize that there is a large, heavy box in the front porch.

We're all wondering what is inside. I'm as clueless as greggy in a Marvel long box.

doh!

We pull the box inside and I remember vividly opening the box and to my amazement being confronted with multiple copies of every Fireside book imaginable. Hard covers, soft covers...The Mighty Marvel Cookbook, How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Bring On The Bad Guys....you name it...almost everything in duplicate...I even had the Calender from what I believe was 1978!

Can you imagine what went through my mind as I poured over cover after glossy cover of each of these books? I barely slept that night!

:cloud9:

What was even funnier was that the publisher had written me a check back because I had overpaid.

So at the age of 7 I spent (from what I remember) about $400, paid for it with a bum check, got a refund and then proceeded to take the books to school for show and tell and give many of the away.

:screwy:

I still have the refund check as a reality check to remind me that I was not dreaming.

lol

I'll post it up here some day.

How's that for a cool story?

you must have cool parents...

mine would of killed my arse!

:o

Post the cheque Roy (thumbs u

I'll have to dig it out at home but maybe I'll scan it tonite. It was made out to me from the publisher.

R.