• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man 1 Platinum edition

36 posts in this topic

The prices have been sliding over the years as supply meets demand...

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

lol

Master compulsive hoarder extraordinaire! :baiting:

But what a book to hoard. How many of those were 9.4 or better when you sold them?

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

lol

But what a book to hoard. How many of those were 9.4 or better when you sold them?

:gossip: I think those are from a neatstuffcollectibles auction.

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

lol

:gossip: I think those are from a neatstuffcollectibles auction.

(thumbs u

Neat Stuff have allegedly got somewhere upwards of a 1,000 of them, so the story goes, and were selling off a chunk of them last year.

I couldn't be arsed using the search function, but I'm sure there was a thread about them last year? (shrug)

All right, here's the story as I recollect it.

Marvel offered these as a premium....one per comic book store. People were scrambling LIKE MAD to get their hands on one...and it was all a setup by Marvel to get a precise count plus address database for every comic store out there...just before they bought a distributor (Heroes World? It's been a while)

to set up their own illfated distribution business. Damned near killed the industry.

Several of my friends tried like crazy to get their hands on one and none succeded, at least not from Marvel. You had to document your brick-and-mortar store pretty durned well before they'd hand one out.

Nowadays the number of comic stores has dropped like a stone, and there are sufficient copies to go around, hence the availibility.

I don't think I ever heard a precise print run, but I'd guess 2500 plus or minus.

I have the letter. Let me go check if it states the count on these books. But no matter how many of the other covers were created, this issue especially is really pretty with that cardstock cover. I have a 9.6 raw copy I need to send in one day.

It's a letter from Lou Bank, Director of Sales and Marketing, and it does not state the total production numbers.

Only that it is "limited" which in Marvel-speak means below 100,000. :insane:

:kidaround: 100000? That's a whole lotta' zeros for a low run....

Hey, it's that time when Marvel was cranking out 800K print runs. I'd say anything below 200K was limited in their mind.

Overstreet says the print run is 10,000 (and I have an old edition).

Seriously, I could see it being 10K, though that may be what was shipped and not what was held back for trade shows and other special events. I think you really had to jump through hoops to get one, though after seeing that picture of a huge pile of Platinum 1's, now I wonder if the print run could be a tiny bit higher.