• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man 1 Platinum edition

36 posts in this topic

Overstreet says the print run is 10,000 (and I have an old edition).

Seriously, I could see it being 10K, though that may be what was shipped and not what was held back for trade shows and other special events. I think you really had to jump through hoops to get one, though after seeing that picture of a huge pile of Platinum 1's, now I wonder if the print run could be a tiny bit higher.

There's only 66 copies there. Hardly enough to put a dent in the print run. :gossip:

Overstreet says the print run is 10,000 (and I have an old edition).

Seriously, I could see it being 10K, though that may be what was shipped and not what was held back for trade shows and other special events. I think you really had to jump through hoops to get one, though after seeing that picture of a huge pile of Platinum 1's, now I wonder if the print run could be a tiny bit higher.

There's only 66 copies there. Hardly enough to put a dent in the print run. :gossip:

True But I am guessing that pic "Which has been posted numerous times" has dampened many a fan boys enthusiasm for going after the Book!

It might dampen the price they will pay, but I doubt it will hurt the desire for the book.

I used to own a few copies, but sold them. I wouldn't mind having one to keep in my collection. It's an iconic issue, and this is definitely the variant to own. (thumbs u

I realize that, but it is still amazing to see that many copies grouped together, and it looks like they are all high-grade (at least at that time). Just seems like it was too easy to come up with that many books for one dealer.

Now there's a book that deserves its own thread lol :

x-farce.jpg

lol

WHY?! Why try and repair that garbage and then send it into CGC? Probably as a joke.

hm Wasn't that up for sale in a Lebowski thread?

I had 2 copies each of the Chrome one for this issue and ASM 300 , got them for $5 each but when I heard they were selling for a ton i sold them as quick as I can. The Chrome ASM 300 was going for more than the regular ASM 300 which I found insane. I got $400 for each set so I made $800. that was a few years ago when they first had the hype and they still go for $200 ish . For a collector there cool to own but for investing I would rather spend that $200 on a good silver age or bronze age book,I never get into that chrome forced collectibles stuff. But this Platinum issue is a classic. I kept my copy of that.

I don't mind the chrome one myself...

Did they actually SELL any of them? I thought they were in their massive "59,283" comics lots that never met the reserve...

Cause I would love to have me about 100 of them....

Email Ross, he sold us 2 copies last year for about 50 quid each if I remember correctly

I realize that, but it is still amazing to see that many copies grouped together, and it looks like they are all high-grade (at least at that time). Just seems like it was too easy to come up with that many books for one dealer.

The rumor is though that Neatstuff has several thousand of them available to them as they bought most of Marvel's backstock of which there were a large number of these.

Own the book because you love it, not because of the 10,000 number floating around. 10,000 of anything is never rare. You'd have a hard time finding 10,000 people that would even want this book or care to own it.

It's akin to when Mattel/Hasbro releases a "Gold Label" Barbie. There are around 10,000 of them floating around the world but finding 10,000 people that want that exact doll is much harder to do.

Platinum Spidey 1 is the exact type of "manufactured" collectible that nearly killed the comic industry and in many minds hasn't ever recovered from.

The rumor is though that Neatstuff has several thousand of them available to them as they bought most of Marvel's backstock of which there were a large number of these.

Own the book because you love it, not because of the 10,000 number floating around. 10,000 of anything is never rare. You'd have a hard time finding 10,000 people that would even want this book or care to own it.

It's akin to when Mattel/Hasbro releases a "Gold Label" Barbie. There are around 10,000 of them floating around the world but finding 10,000 people that want that exact doll is much harder to do.

Platinum Spidey 1 is the exact type of "manufactured" collectible that nearly killed the comic industry and in many minds hasn't ever recovered from.

^^

Well said.

I still want one, though. :luhv:

I had 2 copies each of the Chrome one for this issue and ASM 300 , got them for $5 each but when I heard they were selling for a ton i sold them as quick as I can. The Chrome ASM 300 was going for more than the regular ASM 300 which I found insane. I got $400 for each set so I made $800. that was a few years ago when they first had the hype and they still go for $200 ish . For a collector there cool to own but for investing I would rather spend that $200 on a good silver age or bronze age book,I never get into that chrome forced collectibles stuff. But this Platinum issue is a classic. I kept my copy of that.

No. Neither the Platinum nor the Chrome edition are "classic" - they're both completely manufactured collectibles, one indistinguishable from the other.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a sucker for these kinds of things, and still to this day buy my share of variant covers, special editions, etc.

But pretending that the Platinum & the Chrome edition weren't shaken from the same money tree is just silly.

I meant the platinum as classic to me. Not a "Classic". I paid nothing for it and would never pay alot for these manufactured colectibles. Why I sold my chromium ones. someone wants to pay me $200 for modern books then good for me.

No. Neither the Platinum nor the Chrome edition are "classic" - they're both completely manufactured collectibles, one indistinguishable from the other.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a sucker for these kinds of things, and still to this day buy my share of variant covers, special editions, etc.

But pretending that the Platinum & the Chrome edition weren't shaken from the same money tree is just silly.

Hey manufactured or not, I like the chrome spidey that came out, I actually like it. I will have mine side by side with the TMc like GI Joe special 1 that is getting graded right now, I am not fond of all those Spiderman 1 covers that came out just because it was so many of them, it kinda' lost its sparkle but, having to pick one, I will not pick the green or gold or platinum, I will pick the "manufactured" chrome anyday of the week. Why are we going by numbers..they were all a big manufactured project by marvel, hence the many unneeded variants. The chrome reprint looks good and is an awesome display item. It all comes to what people want, when the Spiderman 300 chrome came out, a lot of people wanted it, and right now,still do...why? Because it looks cool as all hell. So if by "classic" you mean the original, it's not but, as far as "classsic" goes for me, it's artistic work of the highest excellence for a cover, which is what Spiderman 1 chrome is...I wish there was a Chrome secret wars 8..I'd buy it..yes, I am guilty of wanting siick covers... 2c