• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much money have you spent on CGC's slabbing service?

How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?

155 posts in this topic

I have spent a little over $500 on their services directly. I have also purchased numerous CGC slabbed comics off of ebay which helps their business prosper. I am not pleased with their non-answers with regards to the micro-chamber paper and whether or not it is safe to store comics on their side. I won't use their services directly again until there is some clarification on these matters.

Zero.....hopefully the mods don't pull me for this answer...... gossip.gif

I think you will be at the top of their poo list now. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Umm,....I mean it was zero, but I just sent in 100 books to them...yeah right...that's the ticket....... foreheadslap.gif

Have no fear. With my last post I knocked you out of the top slot on the poo list. devil.gif

Just over $200. Used collector's society submissions ($99 + shipping) twice. Used a few freebies from the trivia contest. Have bought a bunch of CGC'd books from eBay and dealers (but don't really count that as it wasn't me directly submitting).

Chris

I voted zero.Shipping is too high when you dont live in U.S., and there's that outher thing.....none of my comics are even worth the price of slabbing frown.gif, apart from one which I bought slabbed.So I suppose I've helped cgc a little.

Jamie.

I was surprised how little the people who responded have spent themselves.I guess they don't have that much faith in their own ability to grade and detect restoration.

I have not yet submitted any myself. Three times I have posted that I was sending in certain books and in all three cases members bought them from me before I slabbed them.

I've spent over $3000 during the last 5 years or so on CGC grading. I will admit that sending the books to CGC has been profitable for me and I can't tell you about my peace of mind. The first book I sent were an ASM 1 which I had graded F- and it came back a F+ so I was hooked. Over time I made money by selling midrange copies of my silver aged books (for example) at 90% of guide (CGC'd) vs 50% of guide (raw). The math simply worked out by selling an $180 book that I was offered $100 for on E-Bay. I don't have the ability or the time to sell books at much higher without CGC. Even after paying the costs I was way ahead. No hassles, etc. I never sent books under $100 unless they clearly were NM/Mt condition. I now buy G/A and the restored factor is so high I won't risk buying raw books.

This week alone I bought 6 books ranging in price from $700 to $2000. They were all bought CGC'd and I was happy with the books. I assure you I would have bought none without third party grading. If you are getting good prices for your raw books then you clearly don't need them. They are only worthwhile if they add value to your collection.

I was surprised how little the people who responded have spent themselves.I guess they don't have that much faith in their own ability to grade and detect restoration.

I have not yet submitted any myself. Three times I have posted that I was sending in certain books and in all three cases members bought them from me before I slabbed them.

What does spending so much $$ on submissions have to be linked to an inability to grade or detect restoration. Personally, I have never sent in any books for the sole purpose of having a restoration check done on it. I'm sure some members have done it but it's not really cost effective for me. The fact that I have spent some much $$ sending in books for slabbing is to facilitate the sales of my books. Has nothing to do with grading ability. Doesn't matter how well I can grade. If the buyer has doubts, he or she won't bid or pay as high as compared if a book is graded 9.4 or above by CGC. Personally, I have kept less than 25 of the few hundred books that I have sent in for slabbing. The majority were sold as fast as possible after receiving them back from CGC.

Allow me to amend my original statement. It did not read the way I would have liked it to nor intended.

My surprise was that with all the CGC books members of this forum claim to have,it seems relatively few were slabbed by them. Rather than buy raw books themselves, they evidently feel more secure buyng books that are already slabbed.As many members of this forum seem quite good at grading and seem to know a great bit about what to look for in restoration,this was a surprise.

I was under the impression that many more books had been bought raw,by members,and then slabbed.

I did not mean it as a slam or dig at anyone,and if anyone was offended ,I apologize.That was not my intent.

With that said-Let me say this:

I find it very surprising that the same group who says they spent upwards of three million dollars on comics last year has only spent less than $70,000 on getting books slabbed in CGCs total existance.

It's next to impossible for me to find any raw ASMs in 9.4 anymore. With exception to bronze/modern books. And when you do you have to wonder why they're not slabbed now. Restoration is always an issue too. I've only slabbed less than half the books I probably could. The turnaround times and the prices are MAJOR deterants in preventing me from slabbing more. Truth be told, I'd rather pay a little more and get the book in 9.4 from a dealer rather than save a bit of money, pay for the slabbing myself, and wait 4 months. In the end you really don't save that much anymore, as most raw prices seem to be closer to slabbed anyways. I've had 3 dozen books submitted, with the exception of 6 books, all were submitted through either express or a trivia win free submission. So about 1,050 dollars or so?

Brian

Allow me to amend my original statement. It did not read the way I would have liked it to nor intended.

My surprise was that with all the CGC books members of this forum claim to have,it seems relatively few were slabbed by them. Rather than buy raw books themselves, they evidently feel more secure buyng books that are already slabbed.As many members of this forum seem quite good at grading and seem to know a great bit about what to look for in restoration,this was a surprise.

I was under the impression that many more books had been bought raw,by members,and then slabbed.

I did not mean it as a slam or dig at anyone,and if anyone was offended ,I apologize.That was not my intent.

I find it very surprising that the same group who says they spent upwards of three million dollars on comics last year has only spent less than $70,000 on getting books slabbed in CGCs total existance.

Believe me, my faith in people's ability to grade is not that high. I have sent in many books to CGC that have been returned CGC 9.4 and above. Of those, I can only recall 3 books that I bought either via eBay or other mail order. I am perfectly willing to pay multiples of guide for raw books IF I see them in person and make a determination of its grade. I paid 3-4 times guide for some raw DC 100 page giants this past San Diego convention that were graded 9.4 to 9.6 by the seller. I agreed with the assessment and decided to pay the amount as I knew that those books aren't likely to be offered in the same grade CGC'd. For books that I don't have a similar conditioned raw copy, I will buy only CGC books in most case, as I realized the futility of trying to buying accurately graded books online. One quick look of a lot of my multiple copies of certain books that I wanted in 9.4 but aren't is a testament to this fact!

i have probably spent a little over 1,000 sending books to cgc myself,but i would be in the 25,000-50,000 for buying cgcs off ebay.i have never sold any of my cgcs even the ones i have dupes of but im running out of room to store them so i might end up selling before i really want too 893frustrated.gif

Perhaps most people here are collectors and aren't slabbing raw books because they don't want to sell them. That's definitely the case with me.

I like to see my books in slabs, but I'm not in any rush. I'd rather spend that money to buy more books than go through the wait and anxiety period. In the same breath, I am starting to send them 50 or so books every 6 months or so, especially if I need them sold.

Perhaps most people here are collectors and aren't slabbing raw books because they don't want to sell them. That's definitely the case with me.

That is the case in my situation as well.So how does one explain that many people here don't seem to feel that the census isn't going to grow by leaps and bounds in the next decade. Many threads and posts seem to indicate the belief that the majority of key books have already been slabbed. I realize there is not an exact relationship between the two positions but there there is more than a casual one.

So how does one explain that many people here don't seem to feel that the census isn't going to grow by leaps and bounds in the next decade.

Self-preservation?

Seriously, you have to filter out what's said on here, as many "market bulls" will freely admit a "correction" is coming, and that pre-65 comics may be the only ones not to show up in serious CGC bulk 10+ years down the line.

Of course, we'd all like our comics to be worth something by then, so many post in a far more positive and fanciful manner.