• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much money have you spent on CGC's slabbing service?

How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?

155 posts in this topic

Many threads and posts seem to indicate the belief that the majority of key books have already been slabbed.

Has anyone said a "majority"? I figure about a third or a fourth of the early 1960s books in 9.0 or better I collect have been slabbed, although who really knows.

So how does one explain that many people here don't seem to feel that the census isn't going to grow by leaps and bounds in the next decade.

Self-preservation?

Seriously, you have to filter out what's said on here, as many "market bulls" will freely admit a "correction" is coming, and that pre-65 comics may be the only ones not to show up in serious CGC bulk 10+ years down the line.

Of course, we'd all like our comics to be worth something by then, so many post in a far more positive and fanciful manner.

I disagree. I think most High Grade Golden, Silver, Bronze, and even Ultra-High grade moderns from the 1980s have been graded by CGC already. The census probably will grow by leaps and bounds, but the cause of that growth will be that it has become "profitable" for people to get their medium and low grade comics slabbed because there are no more HG copies left to slab. The only "correction" I see coming is that these comics we are now only paying hundreds of dollars for are going to be worth thousands later after the census determines exactly how many of specific key issues are out there. The only CGC market that might take a dump is the market for slabbed comics from the 1990s to present. In other words, Jim Lee's X-men #1, McFarlanes Spider-man and Spawn #1s, and X-force #1s are not going to be worth huge amounts of money in the future. Not to say there aren't any comics worth slabbing from that era. Just speaking for myself, I think that market is too risking and volatile at the moment. What could make things interesting for the whole comic market is if CGC goes under in the next 5 years because there are no more old comics worth slabbing and people stop slabbing their new stuff. What will people do when there is no more CGC? 893whatthe.gif How will someone determine the value of CGC comics that have passed the 7 year mark when micro-chamber paper is recommended to be changed? confused-smiley-013.gif Exactly how long is a CGC grade valid? makepoint.gif Should be interesting. devil.gif

Now, you wouldn't be hoping that was going to happen, would you?..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What do you think? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It would make things interesting. grin.gif

It would be humorous for me personally, as I don't have anything slabbed, or anything really valuable for that matter, anyway. But what about your Hulk 181? Don't you have that slabbed?

Or, does the potentail humor override any loss you may incur?...... confused-smiley-013.gif

Now, you wouldn't be hoping that was going to happen, would you?..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What do you think? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It would make things interesting. grin.gif

It would be humorous for me personally, as I don't have anything slabbed, or anything really valuable for that matter, anyway. But what about your Hulk 181? Don't you have that slabbed?

Or, does the potentail humor override any loss you may incur?...... confused-smiley-013.gif

Do I fear the crash of CGC? No, because the comics I have slabbed are worth good money whether or not they are slabbed. Meaning, old key comics are going to be worth money whether they are slabbed or not. I would suspect most people would break their CGC slabs open after a period of time if CGC goes under because the micro-chamber paper needs replaced and grade wouldn't be valid anymore. Would you buy and old CGC slabbed comic without inspecting it 10 years from now? In closing, do I think CGC going under will effect the speculator driven ultra-modern slabbed comics? Absolutely! Who is going to pay big money for an Ultimate Spider-man #9 CGC 9.9 or Batman #617 CGC 10.0 with white pages after CGC goes under? confused-smiley-013.gif Not too many people, in my opinion. Like I said, it would be interesting. devil.gif

What if at the time, according to a new company's standards, it would only be a 9.6?... confused-smiley-013.gif, or maybe, if there wasn't a 3rd party grader, everyone decided that 9.4 and above were all the same anyway?..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On the other hand.....maybe the 9.9 would sustain it's value, as there won't be any more "official" one's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What if at the time, according to a new company's standards, it would only be a 9.6?... confused-smiley-013.gif, or maybe, if there wasn't a 3rd party grader, everyone decided that 9.4 and above were all the same anyway?..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On the other hand.....maybe the 9.9 would sustain it's value, as there won't be any more "official" one's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, whatever gets you through the day.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seriously, I can see your point, on older books especially. But on Moderns, where everyone thinks their own copies they bought right off the rack are mint anyway? I'm not so sure.

Why would a CGC 9.9 lose value....just because CGC goes under? Isn't the comic still a 9.9? confused.gif

Ultra-Modern comics (1990+) like I used in my example would loose value, because the rarity of a CGC 9.9 could not be determined or has yet to be determined.

I don't think "ultra-modern" books have much of a future.....regardless of CGC's fate. tonofbricks.gif

I think most High Grade Golden, Silver, Bronze, and even Ultra-High grade moderns from the 1980s have been graded by CGC already.

I doubt that even half of the pedigree issues out there have even been slabbed yet. Collectors who already own books and don't want to sell them have almost no reason to slab...are you suggesting that collectors who hang onto their comics are in the minority and that four years is enough time for everyone to have flipped their best books already? The collectors who own the best early DCs and Marvels have been financially stable for decades...I can't see a big reason why they'd jump into CGC'ing this early in the game. Even as they get older, they might pass the hobby on to their children...the guy who owns all the best Mile High Superman and Detective comics is like this, he goes to the Tyson's Corner, Virginia show with his young teenage son a lot, so those books might not get slabbed for 50 years or more.

Ok, whatever gets you through the day.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seriously, I can see your point, on older books especially. But on Moderns, where everyone thinks their own copies they bought right off the rack are mint anyway? I'm not so sure.

See my response above.... smirk.gif

I think most High Grade Golden, Silver, Bronze, and even Ultra-High grade moderns from the 1980s have been graded by CGC already.

I doubt that even half of the pedigree issues out there have even been slabbed yet. Collectors who already own books and don't want to sell them have almost no reason to slab...are you suggesting that collectors who hang onto their comics are in the minority and that four years is enough time for everyone to have flipped their best books already? The collectors who own the best early DCs and Marvels have been financially stable for decades...I can't see a big reason why they'd jump into CGC'ing this early in the game. Even as they get older, they might pass the hobby on to their children...the guy who owns all the best Mile High Superman and Detective comics is like this, he goes to the Tyson's Corner, Virginia show with his young teenage son a lot, so those books might not get slabbed for 50 years or more.

How much of the market does pedigree issues make? confused-smiley-013.gif Even if you think maybe 50% have been slabbed that is a lot. I think the average joe out there who doesn't want to sell would get his HG keys slabbed just for insurance purposes. Furthermore, IMHO rich people would get their comics slabbed even if they don't intend to sell because they just want to prove they have the highest graded copy around. I guess time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

I disagree. I think most High Grade Golden, Silver, Bronze, and even Ultra-High grade moderns from the 1980s have been graded by CGC already.

For the record, during the forum dinner at the Chicago Con this past August Steve Borock himself was shaking his head at statements like the above. I don't recall the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of, "Only a fraction of books out there have been slabbed." Dan "Flying Donut" C., who is a dealer, wholeheartedly agreed. In fact, their nodding heads almost made me dizzy! cool.gif

I mean, heck, just walk around any big convention! It's like 99.5% raw books!

The census means nothing at this time.

Alan