• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much money have you spent on CGC's slabbing service?

How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?

155 posts in this topic

And if they are not for sell and aren't getting graded that effects the rest of us how? They might as well not exist.

Sure, if you plan on dying tomorrow.

If not, then at some point in the future, those comics will come to market and will likely affect us all.

I don't believe the hype about private collectors with 10s of thousands of HG raw comics in their collections. Shady just proved my point in his post. Out of 2,500 SA comics he has, maybe a dozen are 9.4 or better. Probably the same case for most other private collectors. Also, there are too many so-called comic gurus or enlightened ones that post in these boards who claim their are mass quantities of HG comics out there, but STILL bid crazy amounts of money for HG comics. The facts just don't support your argument.

The fact is that IF there are uddles of HG stuff out there people wouldn't be going crazy with their wallets anytime some come up for auction.

Yes, just as they didn't in the Coin and Sportscard markets. 27_laughing.gif

Human beings are inherently stupid and conformist, so when something is perceived as hot, they run for with wallets open.

Even the old comic gurus who claim to be enlightened with decades of experience in the comic market and should know better run after HG raw as well as CGC comics with their wallets open. Facts don't support your claims.

And if they are not for sell and aren't getting graded that effects the rest of us how? They might as well not exist.

This appears to be the fundamental difference in our opinions. You choose to ignore the millions of books -- a number of them in high grade -- currently locked away in collections.

You choose to believe the myth. I don't. Shady already proved that out of his 2,500 SA only a dozen might reach the coveted 9.4 grade. I suspect this is typical of most collectors.

Let me repeat that last part: Currently locked away in collections. There is absolutely no telling what will comprise the future back issue market.

Ok, instead of talking about collections of HG comics, that in your opinion may exist, tell me where I can find any HG comic I want and can buy it NOW? Such a place doesn't exist, does it? Please enlighten me so I can avoid the crowds on Ebay and at Heritage comics.

Facts don't support your claims.

Yeah, the smelly facts you pull out of your butt. 893naughty-thumb.gif

P.S. You can keep them.

Now that is the JC we all know. I was really waiting to hear your take on Shady's dozen 9.4 comics out of a collection of 2,500 SA. Are you saying Shady is or isn't the typical collector? Are you saying most private collectors would have 100s of 9.4s in a SA collection of that side? Inquiring minds want to know.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Psssst... Don't look now, but there are a bunch of people over in the "Comics General" forum in a thread called "Heritage was great this week!" patting each other on the back because some guy won 5 or 6 auctions (3 were for those common FFs from volume 1 under issue #100 which are so common in 9.4 with white pages) web page . Why would a guy winning a few SA auctions of 9.4s be such a big thing. They are common, aren't they? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Check my last 2 posts and respond. Or you can continue to avoid the issue and waffle because you are loosing the argument.

Why does it matter so much to believe the fallacy that 1960's and up comics are rare?

I am a collector and I couldn't care less if there 10 or 10,000 of a certain issue in a certain grade, as I'm only concerned with buying what I like.

Hopefully you're not silly enough to be investing money in funny books, and hoping for some windfall based on your purchases? Otherwise, who cares?

Check my last 2 posts and respond. Or you can continue to avoid the issue and waffle because you are loosing the argument.

Why does it matter so much to believe the fallacy that 1960's and up comics are rare?

If 1960s and up are NOT rare in HG why don't we see hundreds of 9.4s or better Amazing Fantasy #15 or Fantastic Four #1s on the CGC census?

If 1960s and up are NOT rare why does a collector like Shady have only a dozen comics out of a collection of 2,500 Silver Age comics in 9.4 or better condition?

If 1960s and up are NOT rare why do seasoned comic veterans go crazy when a lot of HG raw silver age comics come up for sell?

I am a collector and I couldn't care less if there 10 or 10,000 of a certain issue in a certain grade, as I'm only concerned with buying what I like.

How many of your 1960-1970 comics are in 9.4 or better condition?

Hopefully you're not silly enough to be investing money in funny books, and hoping for some windfall based on your purchases? Otherwise, who cares?

Yup, I have some money in funny books. Mostly key issues like Hulk #181 whose total in the CGC census in grades of 9.4 or better only rose from 187 to 189 (or by 2) between the last 2 census updates. Gee... at that rate how long will it take to reach the 10,000 mark that some of the comic gurus claim exist? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, instead of talking about collections of HG comics, that in your opinion may exist, tell me where I can find any HG comic I want and can buy it NOW?

Again, this is our fundamental difference. You're acting like Veruca Salt in that you want the magic goose NOW! I'm just more content to wait, network with dealers and other collectors, and pick and choose good deals when they come about.

Such a place doesn't exist, does it?

Where you can find "any HG comic and buy it now?" Of course not. But with a lot of networking, time, and patience I'm sure anyone here could build up an intricate web of fellow collectors and dealers which would provide them with a great wealth of high grade books. The big name dealers have already done this (although at times it seems as if Vincent and Co. at Metropolis have a magic comic book tree hidden in Central Park somewhere!), so I can PROVE that it's possible.

Please enlighten me so I can avoid the crowds on Ebay and at Heritage comics.

These sites are simply the bottom rung of the collecting ladder, which is why the masses flock to them. It takes little energy or patience to passively search and buy off of them, thus everyone does it. Once you take some time and build up a network of contacts you'll see what's really out there. Then, after you've expended all that energy and have your web humming along, see how guarded and ticked off you get if someone asks you to share! shocked.gif

Again, there's just so much more out there than these boards, eBay and the other auction houses, and a few big name dealers. People need to stop looking at the comic book collecting hobby through such a narrow prism.

Alan

Once you take some time and build up a network of contacts you'll see what's really out there. Then, after you've expended all that energy and have your web humming along, see how guarded and ticked off you get if someone asks you to share! shocked.gif

Should be easy to share if there are tons of HG copies out there like you believe. Why would people be guarded if there are mass quantities everywhere?

Your logic doesn't add up.

Once you take some time and build up a network of contacts you'll see what's really out there. Then, after you've expended all that energy and have your web humming along, see how guarded and ticked off you get if someone asks you to share! shocked.gif

Should be easy to share if there are tons of HG copies out there like you believe. Why would people be guarded if there are mass quantities everywhere?

Your logic doesn't add up.

And your logic only holds up in an economic model where all parties involved are rational, compassionate, and working with so-called "perfect" information. Unfortunately, almost everyone out there is selfish, impatient, and of the same opinion as yourself that all they see through their little prism is really what's out there.

In other words, logic would dictate that there would be no reason to share such information, regardless of the quantity of high grade material present.

Alan

PedigreeMan, I agree with some of your comments. When I first returned to collecting, I went the "mass market" route in a more impatient fashion. As I grew wiser to how the system operates, I've become way more selective (read: picky) with whom I will purchase with. My networking contacts has done wonders for me in finding good HG material. In fact, I just talked to someone last night about a book I need that's rare (on the passive search). Who you know applies to comic collecting as well.

Yup, I have some money in funny books. Mostly key issues like Hulk #181

Glad to see you showing your true colors and overt bias, Spec Boy.

Way to avoid answering all my questions. Keep believing in 1960 and up are not rare mythology JC because you don't have any proof to back it up. You ask me why I think they are rare and I give you direct answers. I ask you why you think that the are NOT rare and you give me stories you dreamed up of a bunch of guys with 300+ HG copies of Hulk #181. Guess we all should just take your word for it and forget what we see at comic book stores, comic conventions, ebay, heritage, or the CGC census. Reality doesn't matter in your world.