• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much money have you spent on CGC's slabbing service?

How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?

155 posts in this topic

Heritage is probably the best known comic auction house and they sell on Ebay, don't they?

Sure sometimes, its great exposure! But if you have a super key its far better to use their Auction House service/name first. (An E-bay double listing comes second) Where do you think most super key high grade sales come from?

Heritage is probably the best known comic auction house and they sell on Ebay, don't they?

Sure sometimes, its great exposure! But if you have a super key its far better to use their Auction House service/name first. (An E-bay double listing comes second) Where do you think most super key high grade sales come from?

Are you talking just super key high grade sales or super duper key high grade sales? juggle.gif I don't know how we went from talking about how many HG comics are out there to who sells super duper high grade keys. confused-smiley-013.gif Anyhow, if by super duper you mean something like an Action #1 than a case can be made that people like Metropolis, Motor City etc... can sell those comics to the BSDs in their networks. Since none of us will probably get the call from them to buy such a super duper comic I don't know what point you are trying to make.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I trust people whose claims can be verified. There is no substance that can be verified in what you or JC say.

I've been looking for it, but I really can't find much substance in this entire thread. I do know that there are a lot of collectors out there who haven't slabbed their high-graders yet...but I don't know how many. And after all of the back and forth, I haven't been able to find anyone else here who does either.

One way to gather factual evidence on this would be for CGC to produce some numbers from their database for us on the statistics on the pedigreed collections out there have been slabbed. I tried to get all of their pedigree data from them once before and they wouldn't go for it, but they might be open to a more limited analysis of their census data.

tongue.gif Silly......Well part of our conversation we were talking about Action 1 which is a super key. You seemed to mention that it was best to e-bay these high dollar books to maximize profits.

You also mentioned...

So you are telling me a dealer with a highly sought after HG comic is going to sell privately instead of going on Ebay where he can get the most money for his comic? Not likely. Comic shop owners that I know specifically put their HG stuff on Ebay to make the most profit. That is why there is only medium to low grade stuff in their stores.

I found this statement well kind of: insane.gif

Your comments seem to underestimate name recognition/reputation, familiarity and location with fellow sellers. You also might be interested in reading back issues of CBM and Overstreet on sales records. E-bay sales only account for a fraction of the overall HG marketplace. I know from personal experence all of my 1K+ deals (raw and slabbed) came from local dealers, conventions and private transactions with familiar contacts.

And getting back to how many books remain unslabbed.... I'm not going to tell you there are thousands of unslabbed 9.4 Hulk 181 or anything stupid like that...cause its really impossible for me to come up with any real tangable number. But there are many many high grade keys to come. A larger amount of the mkt is not visible. Also check out the coin mkt and the card mkt. You might learn a few things. You had no reason to attack Pedigreeman's comments when much of what he said had a large amount of truth to them. Certainly its hard to prove his untangable statements but they DO have some basis in fact. If you want REAL concrete answers on this subject your not going to get them. If you want names of people with a nice chunk of high dollar keys unslabbed well,... start with the owners of many unslabbed MH keys and work your way down to some of the larger dealers. If you've been around a while you should be able to name some names.

Just out of curiousity......how many copies of HULK 181 do you have....and what are their CGC grades? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmmm Maybe if you tell me all your HG raw and CGC'd comics and I will tell you mine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Just for curiousity of course. Why are people so secretive about their collections when HGs are so plentiful? Kind of backs up my case that they aren't.

And getting back to how many books remain unslabbed.... I'm not going to tell you there are thousands of unslabbed 9.4 Hulk 181 or anything stupid like that...cause its really impossible for me to come up with any real tangable number.

True, an exact number would be impossible to come up with, but a good guess is possible using the census and a persons buying experience. I wouldn't be suprised to see the CGC census grow for Hulk #181 or any other comic by 3-5 X the current amount, but I would be absolutely shocked if 10,000 plus of a bronze age Hulk #181 CGC 9.4+, or 300 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.4, or 50 or so Action #1s showed up in the census.

You had no reason to attack Pedigreeman's comments when much of what he said had a large amount of truth to them.

You shouldn't lecture me about something that didn't involve you. I was more than happy to agree to disagree with the guy, but when he trys to slam me don't expect me not to respond.

If you want REAL concrete answers on this subject your not going to get them. If you want names of people with a nice chunk of high dollar keys unslabbed well,... start with the owners of many unslabbed MH keys and work your way down to some of the larger dealers. If you've been around a while you should be able to name some names.

You have your idea about how plentiful HG comics are and I have mine. I look at tangible statistics and sells at CGC, Ebay, Heritage, and others as well as observe all the chatter in here. Nothing I see points to huge numbers of HG comics. Sure there are lots of rumors and speculation about what BSD seller or private collector may or may not have, but there isn't any substance in that to me.

Just out of curiousity......how many copies of HULK 181 do you have....and what are their CGC grades? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmmm Maybe if you tell me all your HG raw and CGC'd comics and I will tell you mine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Just for curiousity of course. Why are people so secretive about their collections when HGs are so plentiful? Kind of backs up my case that they aren't.

confused.gif

confused.gif

hi.gif