• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epic Illustrated
1 1

112 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 8:47 PM, Jayman said:

Pretty sure I only have the first issue. Picked it up at a local con in the early 80’s. The Frazetta cover caught my eye. 

It's a great cover.  I think it's the only thing by Frazetta Marvel ever published; or am I forgetting something?

On 9/14/2021 at 9:12 PM, wombat said:

Marvel database lists Frazetta as an inker on these. 

image.png.f8b14f132e210c48d94f1675a95aa53d.png

Thank you.  I would note that the story in Unknown Worlds is a reprint from Witzend #1; although it certainly counts as an answer to my question it is unusual.  Just in general, I don't think Unknown Worlds of SF gets quite enough attention for including some creator owned material.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, BanjerD said:

The Epic Illustrated 1 had the first appearance of Petalwing and the Preservers, predating their Elfquest appearance.  I have an original Wendy Pini color sketch of Petalwing, also from 1980, same years as Epic 1. This predates the appearance of Petalwing in Elfquest #10 magazine 1981.

EpicILL_label.jpg

Screen+Shot+2017-05-09+at+7.14.57+AM.png

PetalwingBanjerD.jpeg

Hey that's really cool having an original sketch and from 1980 too. Did she do it specially for you? If so she was pretty inconsiderate with the placement of  her dedication..."property of BanjerD".  (Tee hee)

On 9/16/2021 at 1:24 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Hey that's really cool having an original sketch and from 1980 too. Did she do it specially for you? If so she was pretty inconsiderate with the placement of  her dedication..."property of BanjerD".  (Tee hee)

I recently acquired the sketch from another collector. 

I wish the CGC label would note the "first appearance of Elfquest Petalwing and the Preservers", but oh well.  I also noticed that they misspelled "Wendy Pini" on the label:facepalm:

Edited by BanjerD

Uh oh! Not worth having it "Wend" its way back to CGC for a correction though. She's one of those artists I didn't properly appreciate at the time but thankfully do now. Tastes change in 40 years. Not many artists have dropped off my faves list but certainly a good few have been added. Starlin still top for his Warlock and Capt Marvel storylines but I was disappointed with his contributions to Epic and still am. Just prefer his comic art to his painted stuff.