• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epic Illustrated
1 1

112 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Easier to post it rather than try and analyse: I'm not sure it does give the split you're after...

Epic 10 St of Circ.jpg

Thanks, yes I had second thought about my comment... the statements of ownership prove if a NS edition exists because returns are shown but don't prove much else.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:07 AM, oakman29 said:

My recollection is that they were not sold in comic book stores,  but they were sold in places like Tower Records, The Warehouse records stores. 

Interesting, as comic shops surely would have wanted to stock them... I guess the record stores were sale or return basis ie. same as newsstands then.

The Go-to place for them here on the Mideastern seaboard were the 7-11 Stores that were on every corner at one time.... they were behind the counter in the rack with the Penthouse, Playboy's, and Hustlers... which always puzzled me... as they didn't seem like a Nudie. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/15/2021 at 7:42 PM, PeteUK said:

Well they were a Nudie, kind of... that's why we got so excited about them when we were 13....

I remember bringing home a copy of heavy metal magazine in the very early days of the title. My mother never even gave my comics a second glance but for some reason she looked at that one. She flipped out and drove me back to the store. Yelled at the clerk and made him take it back. No more heavy metal mags for me! :(

On 8/15/2021 at 11:20 PM, jimjum12 said:

... they were behind the counter in the rack with the Penthouse, Playboy's, and Hustlers...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Without wishing to lower the tone, (something I always do at some point,) can you imagine the comments in the PGM thread on the Playboy & Hustler Forum? "Spine roll, staple tears, CF missing, slight stains on pages 3, 4, 9 through 13, 51..67..."

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 8/16/2021 at 2:31 PM, shadroch said:

I sold both Epic and Savage Sword in my comic shop and got them from my regular  comic distributor. 

Had an interesting discussion about this, and it seems that it was offered as back issues but not advance orders from at least one distributor (but possible they didn't get them direct from Marvel themselves which might explain the patchy distribution as some retail customers are saying they had to source them elsewhere). Other possibility is comic shops still having newsstand accounts and getting them that way.

Strange if Marvel knew there was demand from comic shops why they didn't just print off a direct variant. Perhaps there was some arrangement with the news trade distributors, in return for getting them into more mainstream channels and extra sales they agreed to do less through the direct market? Just guessing, as obviously I wasn't there and you were!