• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Golden Age Books

23 posts in this topic

Ok... so I've been poking around the Golden Age book a little more often lately and it's been great. One thing I've noticed, however, is that the grades differ noticeably from Silver and Bronze age books. So, my question to you (esp. those of you who collect both GA and SA/BA books) is what's the "exchange rate" between these two grading scales--i.e. what's allowed for a GD in GA that isn't allowed for SA/BA?

Ok... so I've been poking around the Golden Age book a little more often lately and it's been great. One thing I've noticed, however, is that the grades differ noticeably from Silver and Bronze age books. So, my question to you (esp. those of you who collect both GA and SA/BA books) is what's the "exchange rate" between these two grading scales--i.e. what's allowed for a GD in GA that isn't allowed for SA/BA?

It is not so much that its different. As the paper stock generally makes a huge difference. The thicker cover stock is generally much more durable so a defect that would be drastic on a late GA/early SA, may not appear bad on a early GA book with heavy stock paper. In alot of cases you can have a G/VG- GA book that still presents well, where as a SA book in that range generally looks like it has spent its life in someones back pocket.

This is my opinion of course, and does not factor in technical grades.

there is a "diff" in construction of the book (covers, pages, etc), as pat mentioned...so, CGC still grades them the "same" just visibly it might not appear so

Thanks for the link. I read 6-7 pages , but didn't see anything on CT ? Anyone know ?

B~

Any Ct will get a purple label from what I understand but its possible to get a universal for tape removal or very very small tear seal.

Thanks for the link. I read 6-7 pages , but didn't see anything on CT ? Anyone know ?

B~

Any Ct will get a purple label from what I understand but its possible to get a universal for tape removal or very very small tear seal.

Unfortunately, this is not a true statement. There are books in a blue holder noting a small amount of color touch.

Yes , however some color touch is allowed,no / Where do they draw the line on giving it a purple?

B~

It says right on the back of every CGC label that the cutoff is 1950 and before. If the book has just a small amount of CT and/or a small amount of glue, it's a judgment call as to whether the book gets a blue label with notes or a purple label.

Since they moved the date 5 years on what they consider "Modern", did they change the date to 1955? That might cause a few resubs. hm

B~

Unfortunately, this is not a true statement. There are books in a blue holder noting a small amount of color touch.

Here's one of mine - I'm happy with the blue label but am torn whether any amount of CT should just be a PLOD.

blackterror7cgc45ow.jpg

That book was almost certainly a 4.5 before the color touch, so the purple label really wouldn't add anything except extra stigma. The color touch is disclosed on the label.

B~

Here's one of mine - I'm happy with the blue label but am torn whether any amount of CT should just be a PLOD.

blackterror7cgc45ow.jpg

Scott is right, the apparent grade was not improved by the CT (see staple area) so calling a book like this restored would be a disservice.

Now if it was skilfully applied and increased the grade then I could see it in a plod.

But how and when to cut off this type of thing drives me batty.

blackterror7cgc45ow.jpg

Scott is right, the apparent grade was not improved by the CT (see staple area) so calling a book like this restored would be a disservice.

Now if it was skilfully applied and increased the grade then I could see it in a plod.

But how and when to cut off this type of thing drives me batty.

blackterror7cgc45ow.jpg

That makes sense, Kenny. I know when I tracked the graded online, it was first noted as restored and then in final grading changed to universal.