• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is Batman 1 overtaking Marvel Comics 1 in terms of value, significance....

111 posts in this topic

To the one who bought Adam's Batman 1 (worship)
my thoughts were more along the :screwy: but a book is worth what someone is willing to pay hm

Wonder what the Bat #1 on ComicConnect will go for:

CC - Bat 1

II was tthinking of throwing a bid on it but if sells at a price consistent with the 2.0 I'm not going to bother.

I'll wait for the down cycle.

my thoughts were more along the :screwy: but a book is worth what someone is willing to pay hm

$16,225 is quite a price for a 2.0.

well, I will admit it looks vg, so in hindsight, when the book is a $25K book, we will probably all kick ourselves for not buying it lol

It's also significantly less then what an MC #1 recently sold for in the same grade ($20 K as opposed to $16K) which is what I was interested in seeing.

I can't remember who said it but there does seem to be a large spread in price between higher grade and lower grade copies of Batman #1 than there is in an MC #1.

R.

CC - Bat 1

II was tthinking of throwing a bid on it but if sells at a price consistent with the 2.0 I'm not going to bother.

I was thinking the same thing...only advantage I see with the ebay copy is it presented like a 4.0, not a 2.0, where as the 2.5 is closer in eye appeal to a 2.5...but, it will likely still go stronger now, than before (or maybe later) due to lack of unrestored available copies in the market

CC - Bat 1

I was thinking the same thing...only advantage I see with the ebay copy is it presented like a 4.0, not a 2.0, where as the 2.5 is closer in eye appeal to a 2.5...but, it will likely still go stronger now, than before (or maybe later) due to lack of unrestored available copies in the market

Yeah, but the CC copy doesn't have the tape that Filter's copy has. That's a big plus.

CC - Bat 1

Yeah, but the CC copy doesn't have the tape that Filter's copy has. That's a big plus.

That was a big draw back for me. I thought about bidding on Adam's book but I don't like tape on a book at all.

CC - Bat 1

tape isn't going to affect a comic book at all, these days... with proper storage, that tape serves more good than bad (thumbs u

CC - Bat 1

That was a big draw back for me. I thought about bidding on Adam's book but I don't like tape on a book at all.

didn't seem to bother the bidders that went after it ...but, I know it is a personal choice, I for one, would much rather tape a spine split shut, than risk it getting worse...and since cgc deems tape "not" a restoration process, keeps the blue label chasers happy too

To me if a spine is completely split and the book is stored in a proper holder it can't get any worse. I'd rather not have the tape. Again, just personal preference.

R.

CC - Bat 1

didn't seem to bother the bidders that went after it ...but, I know it is a personal choice, I for one, would much rather tape a spine split shut, than risk it getting worse...and since cgc deems tape "not" a restoration process, keeps the blue label chasers happy too

I think the bidding would have gone even higher if it hadn't had tape. Some collectors have the same negative reaction toward repairs that they have towards resto.

CC - Bat 1

I think the bidding would have gone even higher if it hadn't had tape. Some collectors have the same negative reaction toward repairs that they have towards resto.

very true! but would bidding have been that high if it was in a 1.0 blue...I don't think so (shrug)

CC - Bat 1

very true! but would bidding have been that high if it was in a 1.0 blue...I don't think so (shrug)

I agree!

CC - Bat 1

I've been following Batman 1 prices since I got in to GA collecting in 2006. In my opinion it was definitely in a down cycle then, which ended in early 2008 or so. The book has so much going for it, I think the next down cycle could be a long way off.

In my opinion a book with this much going for it will only have another down cycle if a whole bunch of copies come to market at once.

batman 1 has been on a normal rise for the past 5 years... ( I have bought and sold at least 9-10 copies, from restored to unrestored 8.0!)... however, the last 6 months+ (since the all the copies in the market dissappeard post batman movie), the few that have surfaced, are experiencing greater than normal demand relative to supply...

there is no shortage of batman 1's, just a shortage in the marketplace right now...hence, lower supply equals higher prices paid...

that said, ever since I can remember (1988 on) batman 1 has always been readily available, and I suspect will reemerge at some future point as such, again

CC - Bat 1

Never quite understood how you can tape a cover on to a book and its not resto but a few drops of glue along the spine to secure a cover is? Tape has glue on it doesn't it?

CC - Bat 1

Never quite understood how you can tape a cover on to a book and its not resto but a few drops of glue along the spine to secure a cover is? Tape has glue on it doesn't it?

Maybe because tape is so apparent, and is therefore not an attempt to return a book to its original condition. While glue, if applied carefully, might mend a tear and be missed during a cursory examination.

Tape should be amateur resto....my 2 cents.

I dislike tape more than most defects, but I will buy a book with tape if the presentation and price is right.

DC keys will likely continue to climb in value and historic importance as long as they are in the publi eye. I'd prefer to own a marvel 1 over a batman 1, but that's the collector in me talking, not the investor.

It's also significantly less then what an MC #1 recently sold for in the same grade ($20 K as opposed to $16K) which is what I was interested in seeing.

I can't remember who said it but there does seem to be a large spread in price between higher grade and lower grade copies of Batman #1 than there is in an MC #1.

R.

Just to add, there is an Ext P 5.0 on Comiclink with a sale price of just over $8k. I sold a MC#1 Ext P 4.5 on Comiclink last year for over $21k. No trimming on either issue.

well, I will admit it looks vg, so in hindsight, when the book is a $25K book, we will probably all kick ourselves for not buying it lol

I fail to see the humor in your post Gator.

I find nothing amusing about the recent price explosion on Batman 1. One of the things that always made the book so awesome to me was that it was actually an attainable grail. Unless the market corrects downward, that ship has sailed.

I fail to see the humor in your post Gator.

I find nothing amusing about the recent price explosion on Batman 1. One of the things that always made the book so awesome to me was that it was actually an attainable grail. Unless the market corrects downward, that ship has sailed.

You can still attain one from me :grin: