• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the stupidest hing people collect?

44 posts in this topic

I was just watching "Unwrapped" on the Food Network, and there was a segment about the Cracker Jack Collectors' Association (collectors of Cracker Jack memorabilia-you know, all the prizes that have come in cracker jack boxes over the years), and honestly, I thought the people were complete . But, then again, I'm sure they think grown people who collect "funnybooks" are insane as well.

I wanted to ask two questions of my fellow comic collectors here:

1. What's the stupidest thing you've personally ever collected? and.......

2. What's the stupidest thing you've ever heard of anyone else collecting?

Let the insanity begin..... insane.gifinsane.gif

I just watched that too,...and did you notice something?...there wasn't one person in that convention room under the age of 107.......who is going to buy this Cracker Jack stuff once they are all dead.....makes you wonder ,huh? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just watched that too,...and did you notice something?...there wasn't one person in that convention room under the age of 107.......who is going to buy this Cracker Jack stuff once they are all dead.....makes you wonder ,huh? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now that's relevant humor!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I got heavy into Spawn action figures a number of years ago......but I consider it a psychological working-out of the stress incurred from my divorce! Very happily re-married now, I'm trying to figure out a way to dump the 14 plastic crates of them I have, in package of course. Trying to sell them on E-Bay sounds about as fun as sticking steel rods in my eyes! 893frustrated.gif

Probably the most stupidist thing that I collected when I was 7-8 (this kinda pre-dated my comic collecting) was TV Guides....I wish I had them now; would've been a hoot to see TV viewing from just the three major networks...I also read and collected those old "Hardy Boys" mystery books.

My grandmother had loads of "Reader Digests" in the late 30's and on--wow very interesting reads...

Probably the most stupidist thing that I collected when I was 7-8 (this kinda pre-dated my comic collecting) was TV Guides....I wish I had them now; would've been a hoot to see TV viewing from just the three major networks...I also read and collected those old "Hardy Boys" mystery books.

My grandmother had loads of "Reader Digests" in the late 30's and on--wow very interesting reads...

Hey, that reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the TV guides, remember the one where Frank Costanza collected them, and went apes**t at Elaine because she took one. And that guy who made Elaine a bouquet made from Frank's missing issue? Hilarious!! grin.gif

Well, I should answer my own poll, I guess...my stupidest thing was buying wrestling magazines for many years....now I have about 300 or so in my attic that I'd love to get rid of. But, I guess that was kind of different from collecting. I actually bought them to read (which is even more embarrassing, I suppose...), and just saved them because I'm a packrat.

Now....anyone wanna buy a lot of 300 old wrestling mags from the early to late 80's?.... laugh.gif make me an offer, I'll give 'em to ya cheap..... 893frustrated.gif

I'll have to check. I think I'm just missing some from the first few years. The ones that had black and white type/photos printed on what looked like cheap colored paper.

(I've never spend money on them, just picked them up here and there for free or super cheap trade)

Stupidest thing I ever collected? When I was between 8 and 12 I collected bottlecaps. Actually used to wander around the lakes near me at the beaches looking for caps I hadnt ever seen. foreheadslap.gif (What the heck was I thinking?)

Stupidest thing others collect? Gotta be Beanie Babies, right???? Or is it Pokemon cards??? Or National Geographic magazines??? Or Pez dispensers???

The list goes on and on....Thimbles, miniature Spoons, etc etc...

Grossest thing?? My ten year old stepson seems to enjoy collecting his own boogers on the wall behind his bed!!! makepoint.gif

I collect those old DC directs. You know those things that tell you what DC books are coming out for that month. insane.gif

I think I have a ton of those around here! Want to buy them?

timely

The stupidest thing I've ever heard of or read has to be in this weeks Comic Buyer's Guide Jan. 9th, 2004 issue. There's a comment from Maggie Thompson where she said in one of the letters someone paid $10,000 in 2002 for a piece of chewed gum by Arizona Diamondbacks Outfielder Luis Gonzalez. The sale was to a Wisconsin man. There must be some stupid people in Wisconsin, with stupid money to spend. 27_laughing.gif

The stupidest thing I've ever heard of or read has to be in this weeks Comic Buyer's Guide Jan. 9th, 2004 issue. There's a comment from Maggie Thompson where she said in one of the letters someone paid $10,000 in 2002 for a piece of chewed gum by Arizona Diamondbacks Outfielder Luis Gonzalez. The sale was to a Wisconsin man. There must be some stupid people in Wisconsin, with stupid money to spend. 27_laughing.gif

Or they are going for a DNA match?

Stupidest things I have seen collected (to me)

1. Pogs/Milkcaps

2. SPAM memorabilia

3. Beanie Babies

4. Hair and nail clippings from Elvis

5. “Used” panties

6. Trucker Hats

7. Jars of Buttons (the kind that hold your clothes together)

8. NASCAR collectibles

9. Wrestling collectibles

10. Rocks

My dumbest collections

1. A sock monkey that is covered in buttons that includes things like customized vans, Luke Skywalker, “Who Shot J.R.?” and “Keep on Truckin” (probably 100 or more. You can’t even see the monkey).

2. Sewn Patches for every tourist trap I visited as a kid

3. About 20-30 watches that are broke, have a broken band or I just bought a new watch instead of a battery.

4. Youngblood #1, Spawn #1, Supreme #1, Shadowknight #1, Pitt #1…you get the idea.

5. Fast Food receipts (my car is full of them).